Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-21 13:51:58

Thomas

Memorizing Tips

Does anyone have any tips/techniques on ways to memorize a piece of music?

#2 2007-06-21 13:57:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Memorizing Tips

If it's honkyoku luckily that is divided into breaths. So when I want to memorize a honkyoku I just blow the first breath until I have it. Then blow the first and add the second. Then the third. But always go back to the beginning so you reinforce the previous breaths. Eventually you'll find you only have to worry about the newest phrase. Anyway that's how I do it.

There are some people with truly amazing memory skills. I have seen Yoshio Kurahashi and James Schlefer play lengthy gaikyoku pieces from memory. Jin Nyodo was reputed to have memorized 170 gaikyoku pieces. WOW!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-06-21 14:11:19

baian

there's also a memory tip here :

http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html

check tips from Nov 2002, and May 1999

#4 2007-06-22 03:25:10

Bruce Hunter

Thomas,

I have found the following to be useful for me...

Practice:
with the instrument and with the score;
with the instrument without the score;
without the instrument with the score;
without the instrument without the score.

Get a recording, learn it well enough to vocalize along with it, then without it.

Play the piece on another instrument, preferably one with differing fingerings.

Memorize the last phrase/section/idea/etc/ first, then the next to last, then the one before that, and so on. That way, when playing from memory, the further one gets into the piece, the more familiar it becomes.

Making variations, transposing, flex-time, are also tools to make sure that critter is in memory to stay.

What works for me may not work for you, but hopefully, you aren't looking for a magic bullet, but a few first steps to assist you in beginning your own personal journey.

No blow, no Ro. No Ro, no go. No go, no ha. No ha, no go no ha... Forgive me, a moment of uncontrolable silliness forced itself to the surface. Happens sometimes when I think I'm starting to take myself seriously.

I wish you fair winds and following seas (so to speak) as you continue your quest,
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#5 2008-02-07 20:45:51

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

49-day Honkyoku by Heart Challenge

Here are the rules:

Choose one honkyoku that you you would like to memorize by heart.

1. One point is scored for each day that you play the chosen piece.
2. In order to qualify, each blowing session needs to be at least 15 minutes long.
3. The Challenge lasts for 49 days.

Each of you is asked to choose your own level of commitment:

Level 1: Minimum of 15 minutes each day.
Level 2: Minimum of 30 minutes each day (1x30min or 2x15min)
Level 3: Minimum of 1 hour each day (1x60min, 2x30min, or 4x15min or any combo=60min)

It doesn't matter where you blow or what time of the day. It also doesn't matter how much time you blow or how many honkyoku you play on any given day above your level. The most important thing (in this challenge) is to consistently play the chosen honkyoku every day.

If you play several honkyoku including the chosen one for two hours in one day, but don't play your chosen honkyoku for the next two days, then you get only one point. However, at Level 1, if you play your chosen honkyoku for fifteen minutes each day for three days (for a total of forty-five minutes), then you would get three points because you are blowing consistently every day.

To register for the 2008 New Year Honkyoku Challenge, please respond to ramos@dccnet.com with your name and email address and which Level you would like to be in and which honkyoku you choose to concentrate on.

The goal is to completely memorize the honkyoku and deepen your understanding of the piece. If there is any question about how to play a particular honkyoku, please contact a qualified teacher of that particular style to guide you. By the end, or even before the end of the 49 days, you should be able to play the piece by heart.

Ganbatte kudasai (good luck/do your best)!

Alcvin

In the Heart of Bamboo

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Shakuhachi Bamboo Flute Arts
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@dccnet.com