Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-21 11:51:54

Lorka

in between octaves

More newbie type questions.....

Okay, is it just me, or is there some sort of in-between kind of an octave between the first and second that you hit just before the note jumps to the second octave?  I will try to be more specific.

When I am mucking about with embrochure and air pressure in the first octave and increasing it to the point where it would go to the second I often (and usually by accident) seem to hit this sound which is not really first octave, and not really second, but something in between.  It has a an odd, somewhat unnerving, but not unpleasant sound to it.  If I am very relaxed (lying on the couch playing) I can sometimes stay in this in-between zone for awhile and experiement with it.  I should add that I am using the Yuu Shakuhachi with this.  It feels to me like there are some secretive sounds hiding between the octaves, wating to be found.

When I use my new 2.7 Hocchiku (which I am less used to, or comfortable with at the moment--- but like more) I get a different effect.  As the Ro note starts to move toward the second octave it starts to do this weird trembling/pulsing/vibrating effect, which is really wonderful.  Again, I tend to get it not so much by will, but by accident/experiement.  What this is, I have no idea, though it seems to happen when I am trying to practive sasa buki, something I recently started thanks to the kind advice of Shaman141 (sean), and Perry. 

Well, I dont know if an in-between octave exists, or I am doing something funny, or what.  But I like that the shakuhachi can produce such a varied and peculiar sonic range.  These instuments continue to enchant, impress, and humble me.  There is so much capability for expression. 

As a funny sidetrack I will give one example before I go.  There is this weird effect that  I get when I do the following.  Close all finger holes, but keep the thumb/back hole open, and then blow.  While blowing, rapidly open and close the bottom hole of the flute, by the root (ring finer, right hand).  If you do this while rising and lowering the volume it creates this "double flute" bird like sound that is very strange.  I'm sure you all know it.  For some reason my (very shakuhachi tolerant) girlfriend always seems to love that sound.  It is more like an "effect" than a note, or a sound, really.  But it is fun to experiment with.  Just one among many examples of how the shakuhachi can create unique sonic expressions.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-06-21 13:00:50

radi0gnome
Website

Re: in between octaves

Welcome to the world of polyphonics! What you're hearing is the notes in both octaves playing simultaneously, and since they aren't exactly in tune you get some other notes along with them. It looks like you've even found alternate fingerings to help produce the sound. In general, opening holes closer to the mouthpiece while keeping the holes near the bottom closed will help get these polyphonics going. Try half-holing some holes too. The bird-like effect of trilling a polyphonic note is a favorite of mine too, and is an easy way to get the flute to break into the "inbetween" mode that produces a polyphonic tone. 

With silver flute, performers have worked out fingerings to eek out various groups of specific notes and have documented them and modern composers often write them into their compositions. I haven't heard what he's doing with polyphonics, or whether he's went as far as documenting fingerings and the groups of notes you can get, but I understand John Neptune uses polyphonics in his shakuhachi performances.

The longer I play into a session, the more likely I am to start experimenting with this kind of thing. It's also a sign that your embouchure is becoming more well-developed. Congrats!

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2007-06-21 19:33:15

caffeind

For shakuhachi, its multiphonic, not poly smile

San no u can be pushed to make a very strong multiphonic. I imagine a dragons tooth stabbing me in the stomach when I hear it. Imagery aside, you can bring out multiphonics on a lot of kan notes.

Last edited by caffeind (2007-06-21 19:34:36)

#4 2007-06-22 03:47:20

Bruce Hunter

Hmmm, five holes, let's say, open, closed, and half-holed holes, that makes for 243 fingering combinations to try out. Should keep you occupied for a while. 8^) Different flutes, different length flutes, and differents players may get differing results for the same fingering. Have Fun!
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

Board footer