Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#51 2007-06-25 13:12:58

Rick McDaniel

Re: What do you listen to?

No, what you have just said, Jason, is that you are much younger than I , that is all. If you find my comments offensive, then you find all comments by persons older than yourself to be offensive, because youth does that....they assume that they know something older people don't.

Hate to tell you....but that ain't so.

#52 2007-06-25 13:23:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

All right guys this conversation is getting redundant and stupid. Knock it off or I'll close the topic. This was a normal and relevant question to begin with, "What do you listen to". Let's talk about what we listen to, not what other people should or shouldn't listen to. I think that's what the original post was looking for. mad

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#53 2007-06-25 13:30:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Here's what I listen to most frequently.

Watazumi
Steve Lacy
Han Bennink(and associates)
Sun Ra
John Coltrane
Olivier Messiaen
Cesar Franck
Pierre Henry
Velvet Underground
Kinks
Phil Ochs
Ornette Coleman
Jimmy Giuffre
Television
Syd Barrett
Johnny Cash
Son House
Howlin' Wolf

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#54 2007-06-25 14:29:51

Harry
Website

UK preachy punk rockers "Crass", followed by a little "Baker Gurvitz Army" to calm down... oh, that first album... :-)

Regards,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#55 2007-06-25 16:11:31

marek
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Sun Ra

Hi,

could you please recommend some of his albums. I saw the film Space Is the Place and thought I should explore Sun Ra, but then I didnt know where to start and then, I moved on...

Thanks,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#56 2007-06-25 21:29:18

Ash

A large portion of what I listen to could be classed as metal, I suppose. Not the generic get-drunk-and-bang-your-head metal, but moreso an obscure sort with certain themes and ideologies connected to nature, usually with a bit of a folk music influence. Either that or some down-and-out harsh stuff. To split hairs further, I'm quite keen on post-rock and neo-folk. I'm not sure if reeling off a list of band/artist names would help, I don't know if anyone else on the forum likes these kinds of music...? tongue

Otherwise, some better-known artists I enjoy would be Dead Can Dance (and Lisa Gerrard), David Bowie, Kraftwerk, AC/DC, Simon and Garfunkel, Depeche Mode, Joy Division/New Order, John Lee Hooker, Billy Idol, Jimi Hendrix, The Cure, Bjork, a few others. smile

#57 2007-06-25 23:55:37

radi0gnome
Website

marek wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Sun Ra

Hi,

could you please recommend some of his albums.

It depends on if you want the free jazz stuff or not. If it's the free jazz, try anything and you'll eventually grow into it. However, if you want something easily accessable by most, try this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Jazz-Cocktai … mp;sr=1-27   

It's not all Sun Ra, but it's a sampler with a healthy dose of Sun Ra. No free jazz stuff, but just about as hip as you can get.

P.S. I'm still hung up on listening to the XM Chill station. Going on two weeks now.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#58 2007-06-26 05:14:59

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Allright, the Kinks and the Velvet Underground...two of my favorites.  I saw the Kinks several times a long time ago, John Cale twice, and Lou Reed once, again some decades ago...I've been off the concert circuit here for the last couple of decades .  Recently I played the Kinks '20th Century Man,' (off Muswell Hillbillies lp) with fill in the gap and other exercises for a history of sf class I'm teaching to 2nd year Japanese university students;  'Victoria' is coming up next week with my talk on H.G. Wells... Other artists I've been listening to recently:

Procol Harum
Van Morrison
Radiohead
Leonard Cohen
Bill Lasswell and Jah Wobble
Brian Eno/ Jon Hassell
Harold Budd
Emmylou Harris
Fairport Convention
Elvis Costello
The Fujii
Cream
Eric Dolphy
Thelonius Monk
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Beck

#59 2007-06-26 07:58:54

Harazda

Well... this forum membership has a VERY eclectic backgrond in music, pretty much covering the full range of music as entertainment.  This morning, I was looking over the Kaido Honsoku, in which the "Shakuhachi Credo" of the early komoso is presented by translator Torsten Olafsson.  I believe it is safe to say that the shakuhachi is rooted in a view which is unique among all our musical endeavors.  One old poem Olafsson presents reads:  "When you search, and find / in shakuhachi sound your refuge, / is that not indeed / the essence of bamboo?" 

I guess that I would implore those who play shakuhachi and hochiku to remember the special rank of these flutes among all instruments, and that it is a way beyond "Illusion and Mediocrity."

#60 2007-07-20 15:08:41

Arjay

Ha! I'm glad I found this thread; it adds another dimension of humanity to everyone.

It's surprising to note the extreme variety of music you enjoy. Discussing music as delicate and organic as shakuhachi makes it seem alien to mention other genres, doesn't it? It does to me.

Well, my music library covers a lot of ground, if I say so myself. It totals over 27GB and touches on what I like to think is most of the genres out there. Hehe, I feel like a music snob just for saying that.

Lately, I find myself drifting towards softer, more organic or even dreamlike sounds. I know a lot of people might find my taste to be corny, but I have to admit I quite like Mazzy Star, Chris Isaak and similar stuff. Oh, and a band from Denver called "Tarantella" is quite good, as well. There's also "Band of Horses" and "Vetiver," though that last one is REALLY pushing the hippie-music envelope.

If you want something a little more... uh, classical I guess is the word, try out Max Richter. His album, "The Blue Notebooks" was quite nicely done. I thought of this one when I read the start of this thread and some of you were discussing Ma.

There is a brief track ("Old Song") on this Richter album where all we hear is a jet plane passing far overhead while a piano laconically taps out a slow song. A typewriter begins to clatter, and we hear a narrator. ""February the 10th. Sunday. Noise. Peace." The airplane continues its path, fading away finally. The piano continues, and somewhere outside, the sound of songbirds is heard. Noise and peace. I always liked that one.

#61 2007-07-21 01:13:31

Moran from Planet X
Website

Since this thread started in November of 2005 I have added to my playlist:

Steve Lacy (thanks to Philip Gelb and Brian Ritchie)
Jimmy Giuffre (thanks to Brian again)

more Watazumi (thanks to good old collective effort)
Jin Nyodo (despite the horrendous recording quality of the 6-cd set)

Yoshio Kurahashi
Tajima Tadashi
Nakamura Akikazu
Riley Lee
Alcvin Ramos
Aoki Reibo II
Okuda Atsuya
Yoshikazu Iwamoto (thanks to many forum members)

Miyagawa Nyozan
Uramoto Sekicho
Korikawa  Naoki (thanks to forum member known as "eiryuu")

Inoue Koun (thanks to John Singer)

Throbbing Gristle

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-07-21 01:16:22)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#62 2009-03-20 22:28:24

ABRAXAS

Off the cuff (non-shakuhachi): Skip James, Jack Owens & Bud Spires, Thelonious Monk, Art Pepper, Charles Mingus, Frank Zappa, Ornette Coleman, James Blood Ulmer, Sonny Sharrock, Big Walter Horton, Diamanda Galas, Krzysztof Penderecki, Edgard Varese, Funkadelic, Simon Stokes, GG Allin, The Cramps, early Black Sabbath, Rufus Harley, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, King Crimson, Robert Fripp, Henry Kaiser, Fred Frith, The Residents, Merzbow, Whitehouse, Bobbie Gentry, Eric Dolphy, Nina Simone, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Hermann, Akira Ifukube, Bach, Beethoven, Cecilia Bartoli, Link Wray, The 13th Floor Elevators, Big Black, Rapeman, Son Seals, R.L. Burnside, John Cage, Jimmy McGriff, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., Nina Hagen, Duane Eddy, Nico, Howlin Wolf, Robert Pete Williams, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Gary Davis, The Flamingos, The Robins, Iggy Pop, Electric Wizard, Goldfrapp, Screamin Jay Hawkins, etc.....

Not to beat a dead horse but personally nothing turns me off faster than rap, reggae, or whiny folk music.

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-03-20 22:35:36)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#63 2009-03-20 22:55:52

edosan
Edomologist

ABRAXAS wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse but personally nothing turns me off faster than rap, reggae, or whiny folk music.

Oh. You mean Skip James isn't 'whiny folk music'?  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#64 2009-03-20 23:01:34

ABRAXAS

edosan wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

Oh. You mean Skip James isn't 'whiny folk music'?  smile

No, that's whiny BLUES music! Blues music is 99.99% whining. wink

#65 2009-03-20 23:05:45

ABRAXAS

Only a licenced psychiatrist could probably explain why Skip James and Ralph Stanley whine to music and it sounds good, while Joan Baez and Bob Dylan make me want to shove an ice pick into my eardrums.  Maybe its becaust group 1 whines about their own suffering while group 2 takes it upon themselves to whine about everyone else's suffering?

#66 2009-03-20 23:47:59

geminishadow79

I listen to a large variety of music.  If you went through the  CDs in my car, where I do the majority of my listening, you'd find, The Killers, Travis, The Doors, Oasis, I LOVE Oasis...and yes you'd also find almost every album the Violent Femmes ever produced!  For some reason I'm embarresed to say that knowing that Tairaku will likely see it. Is it my fault they're music is genius?  But anyway...also enjoy alot classic rock like Led zepplin, pink floyd, and I have just resently discovered the genious of Jethro Tull, I wish I'd known about him when I was younger I might have never given up playing the flute! 
I love the blues, who doesn't, stevie ray vaughn is on the top of my favorite blues artist.  Just to name a few.......

Oh and I have to mention Panic at the Disco as well. I know, I know, Their target audiance is mostly twelve year old girls, and I think that is kind of a shame.  Their music is phenomenal!  They are young men with amazing talent, and I really think as they get older they are really going to put out some amazing works of art.

Last edited by geminishadow79 (2009-03-21 00:07:36)

#67 2009-03-21 00:09:05

Seth

In reading through all of these old posts I was surprised by the range and the absence of a few names.

My favorite listening:
Pretty much anything by Bach especially Mass in B

Philip Glass - especially his string quarter #5 with Kronos. 

Arvo Part (And to the person who posted about Tabla Rosa being an incredible album - yes!)

Shostakovich especially his violin concerto being played by Venegrov (Sp?) and conducted by Rostropovich (SP?)  (I actually heard this played live by Venegrov in Tel Aviv with the St.Petersburg Philharmonic - probably the single greatest thing I have ever heard live.)  Actually Shostakovich is one of my favorites because you can hear how insane Stalin's Russia was in the music.  It sounds happy, but listen closely and you can hear the sound of real misery just one step inside...

Chopin - especially nocturnes and preludes...reminiscent of Honkyoku

Here is one I was shocked not to have seen in this thread:  Gorecki's Symphony #3.  If you like shakuhachi, you will love this.  But make sure you have a full hour to listen patiently.  (And there's nothing wrong with the volume control...be patient!)

#68 2009-03-21 01:15:05

radi0gnome
Website

Seth wrote:

In reading through all of these old posts I was surprised by the range and the absence of a few names.

Yes, I noticed that too. No one mentioned The Ting Tings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r23cm7bL9E

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#69 2009-03-21 02:02:22

Zakarius

I think I'm pretty much cut from the same cloth as Seth... Glass & Kronos was an awesome recording. Until I got hooked on the shakuhachi, I had just about everything Kronos and Glass released. Now I find that I rarely listen to music -- instead, I prefer playing.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#70 2009-03-21 13:29:25

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I've been listening a lot to "Khepera" by Randy Weston. Great stuff. Track #3 "The Shrine" is a favorite.

#71 2009-03-24 09:47:04

david

in no particular order. and this is just a scratch on the surface.

The Legendary Pink Dots
Skinny Puppy (only the early stuff up to too dark park)
coil
lamonte young
tim hecker (beautiful)
brian eno
loop guru
laraaji
syd barrett
steve roach
terry riley
martyn bennet
dead can dance

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#72 2009-03-24 10:27:20

lowonthetotem
Website

I am under the impression that I like alot of different music, but I imagine that it is pretty par for the course of what most Americans like.  What I listen to most of the time:

Zeppelin
Agent Orange
Dead Kenedys
Violent Femmes (really, not brown nosing)
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
Ramsey Lewis (Sun Goddess is one of the best albums ever!)
Beasty Boys
Death Row
CCR
Soggy Bottom Boys (I enjoy bluegrass a great deal but just don't know much about it)
The Who
Sex Pistols
Miles Davis
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Merle Haggart
The Wailers
UB40
Paul Simon
AC/DC
Talking Heads
The Clash
Santana
The Specials
The CUre
The Ramones
Joe Jackson
The Ink Spots (I really enjoy acapella groups and the singing quartets and quintets from turn of the century up to the fifties and sixties Doo Wop guys.  Again, I don't know much about them though)

I really don't share anyone's contempt for certain kinds of music as a whole.  I DO think that Rap is a viable music and art form, but I was an English major with a concentration in poetry.  So, I may view it differently than others.  And, there is a spcial place in my heart for bands that illustrate little talent.  I think the Clash made some of the most socially conscious music out there but illustrated little talent on their instruments.  I don't know; I am not a career musician or even someone with a deep understanding of music, so I just listen to what I like.  And, that has alot to do with when, where, and with whom I grew up.

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2009-03-24 10:32:19)

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#73 2009-03-24 11:14:54

Kerry

lowonthetotem wrote:

I really don't share anyone's contempt for certain kinds of music as a whole.

Just to name a few;
Keith Jarrett
Victor Wooten
Dead Prez
Rage Against the Machine

Nuff' said! wink

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#74 2009-03-24 11:25:31

Seth

Kerry wrote:

lowonthetotem wrote:

I really don't share anyone's contempt for certain kinds of music as a whole.

Just to name a few;
Keith Jarrett
Victor Wooten
Dead Prez
Rage Against the Machine

Nuff' said! wink

Some music makes the world a better place.

and some music makes the world a worse place.

To not have contempt or disdain or at least a dislike for some music is to ignore its potential to influence the world.

#75 2009-03-24 12:25:37

Vevolis
Website

Tweaker (Chris Vrenna, former drummer for NIN)
NIN (I'm lost on some of the recent releases)
Robyn Miller (Riven Soundtrack)
Brian Eno (Particularly Thursday Afternoon)
Daft Punk (Interstella 5555 is a remarkable anime with music and visuals only, directed by Kazuhisa Takenouchi)
David Bowie
Andreas Vollenweider (And his kickin' harp solo's)
Wesley Willis (Because he made something so crude remarkable)

Lots of electronic based music, though must be creative, mostly anything from the 80's. Except Lady in Red and "Who's that girl, walking around with you, tell me who's that girl, walking around with you, tell me who's that girl, walking around with you, tell me........" and so on.

There are many more musicians that I enjoy who escape my vocabulary right now... there is also music I HAVE to listen to while waiting at a red light. I don't really like that music.

I'm not too familiar with The Violent Femmes other than American Music and something about one kiss and a swear word and also the theme to Spongebob.

I'm fond of only one or two things i've written.

Oh. And Wind Him Up by Saga.

Last edited by Vevolis (2009-03-24 12:32:30)

Board footer