Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-26 07:07:21

amokrun

Just got the most interesting flute I've ever tried.

I just came back from the customs and picked up a flute that a fellow forum member sold me. It's a fairly old flute with many quite unusual features that make it challenging to play. Perhaps the most obvious difference is that the chin rest is by far different from most flutes and it kind of forces you to hold the flute so that the end would be facing the floor if it wasn't for the fairly steep curve of the bamboo. This, among the other details, changes the dynamics of the flute completely from what I'm used to. When I started playing, Ro was the easiest note for me and I could barely play Ri at all. With this flute the volume gets lower and lower when going from Ri to Ro and disappears completely with Ro unless you do something different.

I haven't had this much fun with a shakuhachi since I started playing. I've been trying to figure out how to do different things because everything has changed. I discovered few ways to play a good Ro and right now I'm working to improve those. For some reason I can play a Ro if I first open up the first hole a bit as if to play a Tsu Meri and then close it as the sound appears. If I keep blowing very, very solidly after this the Ro keeps on going just fine. Even a slight mistake will cause the sound to die.

As a side note, I wonder why this sort of chin rest isn't being used by anyone. This is by far the most comfortable one I've ever tried. With normal flutes I find that I have to push the round edge against my chin to get the angle right. With this flute I can play without the slightest bit of discomfort and the chin rest feels almost as if someone shaped it to fit my face. I also noticed that I don't need to use my tongue anymore to sort of shape the lip area like I do with other shakuhachi because the blowing edge comes to the right place naturally. If I ever decide to make a shakuhachi for my own amusement, this chin rest is what I'll be using.

#2 2007-06-26 10:16:42

Alex

Re: Just got the most interesting flute I've ever tried.

Hey Amokrun,

That certainly looks like an interesting instrument!

I have wonder many times how different Shakuhachi may be among each other (as I have only played mine) but I guess with older instruments there must be even a wider gap. I'm, really looking forward to blow on an old instrument to see what it feels like.

And it also looks quite challenging! I cannot imagine going back to having problems with getting a consistent Ro, but when I think about it I'm sure it brings a lof of the enjoyment one has when starts playing.

By the way, if you have a chance to post a photo of that chin rest you are talking about it would be great. I'm very curious

Salud!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#3 2007-06-26 11:40:39

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

amokrun wrote:

As a side note, I wonder why this sort of chin rest isn't being used by anyone.

Sometimes I see severe angled chin rests on older shakuhachi. It is almost always filed by someone other than the original maker.

I think it is tempting to file the chin rest back to make blowing more comfortable. However, like everything with shakuhachi, it is a compromise. As the chin rest angle increases, the sweet spot window decreases. It also limits the kari range.

With a less severe chin rest angle, the comfort issue can be handled by jutting the lower jaw outward slightly while blowing. This takes some getting used to. In my opinion, this is the reason why some players decide to change the original design of the flute.

Of course the degree of chin rest angle is a matter of personal taste. I don't mean to rain on your excitement! Some prefer a little more or less. However, I think the reason why most makers keep the angle slight is to widen the tonal and pitch range.

Ken

#4 2007-06-26 12:11:08

amokrun

Alex wrote:

I have wonder many times how different Shakuhachi may be among each other (as I have only played mine) but I guess with older instruments
there must be even a wider gap. I'm, really looking forward to blow on an old instrument to see what it feels like.

I used to think that most shakuhachi are pretty much the same. More recent instruments are indeed usually fairly similar. I can take any of my new shakuhachi and play it without thinking much about which instrument it is. The old instruments, however, often come in different flavors and all have something that you need to keep in mind. It may be that some notes are out of tune, some fingerings don't work like the chart says or whatever. My teacher told me that the last time he moved to a new flute it took him quite a while to get used to the new one to a point where he could play it as well as the old one. With modern flutes that may be less of an issue, especially among jiari instruments where people seem to aim for roughly the same fit.

Alex wrote:

And it also looks quite challenging! I cannot imagine going back to having problems with getting a consistent Ro, but when I think about it I'm sure it brings a lof of the enjoyment one has when starts playing.

It's fun, trust me. I found a few techniques that I haven't even thought of before from trying to get the Ro to work. They carried over to my modern flutes as well and I think I like the results. In fact, every time I got a new flute I learned something new from playing it and then returning to the ones I had before. You tend to notice things that you took for granted before. I have had to re-learn various fingerings again and again for different flutes. In this process I learned to control my fingers better because I had to understand that there are more than just one way to cover a hole.

Alex wrote:

By the way, if you have a chance to post a photo of that chin rest you are talking about it would be great. I'm very curious

Here are few poor pictures that I took quickly. Quality is horrible because I spent about a minute on this.

Here's a comparison with the flute (above) and another standard 1.8 (below):

http://maimed.org/~amokrun/myoan2/new1.jpg

Another picture, this time from a slightly different angle. The perspective lies a bit but notice how the upper flute shows almost no chin rest when looking from this side whereas the 1.8 clearly has one.

http://maimed.org/~amokrun/myoan2/new2.jpg

Finally, a scary picture of yours truly playing the flute. Notice how the angle of the flute is quite different from how most people (myself included) play normally. With most flutes I believe my angle may be even over the often quoted 45 degrees. With this one it feels more like blowing over the top of the flute like you would if you were blowing into a bottle. The flute is curved which is why it looks like the angle is somewhat closer to the 45 degrees.

http://maimed.org/~amokrun/myoan2/new3.jpg

That should roughly explain the idea.

#5 2007-06-26 12:22:44

amokrun

Mujitsu wrote:

With a less severe chin rest angle, the comfort issue can be handled by jutting the lower jaw outward slightly while blowing. This takes some getting used to. In my opinion, this is the reason why some players decide to change the original design of the flute.

With something like Yuu that is a good standard to go by, I tend to sort of pull back my lower jaw and also use my tongue to slightly alter the air stream as it goes past the teeth. I find this natural to do and it works fine for me. It is most likely different for everyone because we all have different facial shapes. I find that the typical chin rest tends to be a bit too sharp for my taste. However, I wouldn't touch any of my flutes out of principle. I like the idea that one should adjust himself to the tool rather than changing the tool.

Mujitsu wrote:

Of course the degree of chin rest angle is a matter of personal taste. I don't mean to rain on your excitement! Some prefer a little more or less. However, I think the reason why most makers keep the angle slight is to widen the tonal and pitch range.

I think you are right about the pitch range. It did take me a moment to find the right way to get this type of chin rest down to a really deep meri. For playing something fast where the angle changes quickly and repeatedly I would prefer the chin rest in Yuu because it is easier to alter the pitch with smaller changes. Also, really deep meri seems to require some minor adjustments in lips as well. Just pulling it down brings the blowing edge too close.

It is interesting to see how many possibilities there are with such a simple instrument. I think I should buy a stack of PVC pipes and try out different designs. I'm the type of person who understands things only after I try them out.

#6 2007-06-26 12:40:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The chin rest on that flute is too extreme. If you get used to that it could make it difficult for you to play conventional flutes. Be careful.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2007-06-26 14:29:43

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

The chin rest on that flute is too extreme. If you get used to that it could make it difficult for you to play conventional flutes. Be careful.

I thought about that at first. I usually aim for 3 hours of practice every day. Most of the time I get more than that but having a hard limit makes it easier to ensure certain amount of consistent practice. This usually translates into playing whatever piece I'm working on on a 1.8 and doing all sorts of exercises in between. I have several flutes which I also play but mostly outside of the context of learning the traditional material. I have found that practicing other things and just playing for fun also helps my formal studies.

When I got my second flute - a 2.5 from Ken - I suddenly learned many new things that helped my more formal playing quite a lot. Having to suddenly focus on aspects you had taken for granted before made me understand things I had been doing all along better. The same thing happened when I got a Yuu. It was similar to my original 1.8 but still quite different in many ways. Playing both helped me understand the variables that exist within a flute. Since those days I've tried all sorts of 1.8 flutes and it has been much easier to quickly tell why they are different than the flutes I own.

The new flute is once again an interesting challenge. I had to revisit some basic techniques and figure them out from scratch. It is my first flute that jumps to Kan very easily and thus makes playing in Otsu more of a challenge than it has been before. It is also very picky about the amount of air used. Blow too hard - something that I'm guilty of at times - and you get nothing with the lowest notes. Messing around with the Ro on this flute helped me to tone down the volume of air that I was using and in turn resulted in less windy sound for Kan notes in a 1.8.

I do appreciate the concern. I will make sure to pay attention and to keep the distinction between different flutes clear. Thankfully studying with my teacher keeps me in habit of playing a standard 1.8. It is good to have something that can be considered the standard to which you can then compare all the new things you encounter.

#8 2007-06-27 14:03:06

Harazda

Hey amokrun - It's good to see a picture of you playing; it helps to see people on the forum, so that it gets more personable.  You look a lot like a young Nicholas Roerich... you know who that was?  Do a google or yahoo search and see what you can find.

One of the reasons I like this forum so much is that I get an idea about other players' observations, interests, and priorities.  I like your approach to playing; it seems disciplined, open, and natural.

After playing shakuhachi and hochikus for so many years, I received my Yuu the other day.  You know something?  I think it's pretty cool.  I hadn't played a 1.8 in so many years I had forgotten how versatile it is.  It's accurate and strong.  As I hinted at on another thread, the same fluid Zen spirit seems to be fully available with the Yuu.  No complaints!

Enjoy your flutes, and ENJOY the Finnish summer!

Harazda

#9 2007-06-27 14:13:21

Alex

Hey Amokrun!

Thanks for the pictures! It certainly is a particular chin rest! But as you point out I guess it kind of pushes you to play in a more kari way (which as I understand is highly desirable) and I'm sure it helps you experiment things in a different way(defenetly desirable!)

Salud!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#10 2007-06-27 14:39:09

amokrun

Harazda wrote:

Hey amokrun - It's good to see a picture of you playing; it helps to see people on the forum, so that it gets more personable.  You look a lot like a young Nicholas Roerich... you know who that was?  Do a google or yahoo search and see what you can find.

You know, that is quite amusing. Usually when people say "you look exactly like ...", it means that there are some slight similarities. Yet, I found some pictures of this guy who could be pictures of me in a couple of decades. Thanks for pointing that out. My girlfriend will have something to laugh about for years.

Harazda wrote:

One of the reasons I like this forum so much is that I get an idea about other players' observations, interests, and priorities.  I like your approach to playing; it seems disciplined, open, and natural.

I also like that aspect of the boards and the Internet in general. I occasionally send e-mails back and forth with the guys from the forums. It is interesting to talk about how people view playing and how they got involved. There are all sorts of people with different reasons and goals.

Harazda wrote:

After playing shakuhachi and hochikus for so many years, I received my Yuu the other day.  You know something?  I think it's pretty cool.  I hadn't played a 1.8 in so many years I had forgotten how versatile it is.  It's accurate and strong.  As I hinted at on another thread, the same fluid Zen spirit seems to be fully available with the Yuu.  No complaints!

Yuu is my main practice instrument. It is also a very good instrument for playing outside because it is easy to produce a loud sound. This is especially useful in a noisy environment. It is also possible to make the contrast between loud and silent parts more obvious if required. With flutes that are naturally quiet it is harder to really push it.

Harazda wrote:

Enjoy your flutes, and ENJOY the Finnish summer!

Since the summer is telling me to stay inside (ie. it's raining - a lot), I suppose I have to enjoy the flutes more for now. Too bad since I enjoy playing outside.

#11 2007-06-27 19:00:41

edosan
Edomologist

Alex wrote:

Hey Amokrun!
I guess it kind of pushes you to play in a more kari way...

Not really. Kari is a relative thing. With that much undercut on the chinrest you are already so close to the blowing edge that you must readjust everything just to get the focused airstream back away from it in order to get a good sound. The only way that configuration would work 'normally', is if you had a very unusual chin anatomy, ie, a protruding chin bone structure.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2007-06-27 19:10:21

Harazda

amokrun, if you ever want to sell the flute, call up Jay Leno and see if he's interested!

#13 2007-06-27 19:39:53

amokrun

edosan wrote:

Not really. Kari is a relative thing. With that much undercut on the chinrest you are already so close to the blowing edge that you must readjust everything just to get the focused airstream back away from it in order to get a good sound. The only way that configuration would work 'normally', is if you had a very unusual chin anatomy, ie, a protruding chin bone structure.

You are right in that some amount of adjusting is necessary between that and the standard shape. It took me a day or so before I could reliably go through all notes in otsu because the sound keeps getting weaker as you go down. Ro is still tricky and has a tendency to die out if I blow rather than just breathe into the flute. On the other hand, that has been great practice for me because I have a tendency to blow way too much even though it's not actually necessary. This flute punishes it right away which serves as a good indicator that I'm losing focus.

I talked about this topic with my teacher a while ago. He explained that when he plays the opening between his teeth is fairly small. On the other hand, blowing is physically impossible for me if I try to maintain that sort of opening between my teeth. Mine is somewhat larger and I usually place my tongue differently as well to make up for that. It works just fine but isn't as natural as it could be. This flute feels much better in that respect. I suppose that my face is just incompatible with the stock chin rest. Something slightly deeped than the standard might work better in my case, although I'd have to try it to see.

Either way, thanks to everyone who commented on the topic. The great thing about this forum is that someone will always point out things that you failed to consider. Keep up the good work.

#14 2007-06-27 21:18:35

Zakarius

Harazda wrote:

amokrun, if you ever want to sell the flute, call up Jay Leno and see if he's interested!

Indeed! big_smile

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

Board footer