Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-07-02 11:08:10

Harazda

The Lotus Blossoms

Okay.  This is the "Zen" aperture.  There is an effort afoot to center upon Sutras... which may reduce the field of activity to only a few on this forum.  What if such limitation was curtailed, and we had a venue for broader and accessible Dharma, crossing imaginary barriers of sectarianism within the Mahasangha.  Is it possible?  Here, it is... if you want It.

I myself look not only to the Sutras, but look further into the Tantras, and still further into the Termas.  There are no real barriers between these Dharma levels, except the ones individuals may create from the brick and mortar of inexperience.  There is only one level, and we're all on it.  Buddha Shakyamuni's "Third Turning" of the Wheel operates at this level.

So, here, I'd like to explore the real non-dual essence of Dharma, elucidated perhaps not only in Sutra form, but in other expressions offered by luminaries of all Buddhist traditions.

I'd like to start squarely within Zen, however, with a quote from R. H. Blythe's Zen and Zen Classics, Vol. 2, "History of Zen," Hokusaido Press, 1964, p. 129:

"Ummon said to his monks, 'The whole universe is the medicine to cure illness, ---but where is the sick man?'
"The universe in all its health and health-giving character is the medicine for all illness of mind and body; that is clear, but if the whole universe is the medicine, where can the one who is ill be, except outside the universe, ---which is an impossibility!  Ummon shows here that the ordinary, commonsense explanation of things is no better than the transcendental one, in which the universe, the medicine, is doctor, patient, undertaker, and grave.  Zen must avoid both, if this can be done, and be ill without being ill, and well without being well."

Board footer