Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2007-05-07 14:00:05

rpowers

Re: Play outside - Komuso style.

One of the disadvantages of the komuso tengai is restricted peripheral vision. You never know what you might be missing.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/487422196_52924bb37d.jpg?v=1178503328

Photo credit to Flickr member vonguard

Last edited by rpowers (2007-05-07 22:49:09)

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#27 2007-07-04 05:26:52

Harazda

Re: Play outside - Komuso style.

...just thought I'd add to this discussion by mentioning my experience with:

a) weddings
b) parties
c) tai chi groups
d) other events

Over the last 30 or so years, I've had many requests to play at weddings.  Around here, in central Florida, lots of people get married on the beach.  It can be pretty windy, but it's always very appreciated regardless.

Shakuhachi is also regarded as somewhat avant garde in certain party-prone circles.  If you can link up with sitar players, dancers, drummers, and the like, you might be amazed at the invitations you receive to play at really nice parties... Chinese New Year events, swank about-town affairs, film festivals... you name it!

There's one tai chi group here in Melbourne that is always utilizing my playing, and - let me tell you - they REALLY love being played for... outdoors especially.  We are often invited to play/do tai chi at a nearby ashram where community is invited to share in food and good company.  One good thing about this is that it's a great way to learn to play from the heart spontaneously - to improvise - and to learn to play to other peoples' movements.  I used to play, for example, for a dance company who had a thing called the "Florida Suite." At one point, they leaned back on their elbows and heads while gently waving their legs in the air in unison, so as to mimic the movements of sea oats in the winds.  Playing to that was really cool.

All of these are great ways to break out of the house and learn that people really appreciate the sound of the shakuhachi.  Actually, the world needs what we do very much; perhaps, instead of feeling self-conscious, we might turn it around and realize that we're offering a unique gift.

Board footer