Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-16 21:32:02

username

Masayuki Koga's book

Could you please provide your opinion on the following book? 

Masayuki Koga, EXTRACT OF MASTER TECHNIQUES FOR SHAKUHACHI- Advanced Playing Guide

I'm looking for a book that will supplement lessons with my Sensei.  Reading the excerpt from Monty's site, it appears that this book attempts to address some of the subtler aspects of playing the shakuhachi, which I'm thinking might effectively complement a student/teacher relationship.   However, I'm cautious about adopting others' methods of playing without having first vetted them through professionals, such as yourselves.  With that said, any comments on this book or recommendations of other advanced technique books would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2006-01-16 23:26:59

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Masayuki Koga's book

Well, it's hard to get much more professional than Masayuki Koga...

Having seen that material, I'd say it's best suited for an advanced intermediate or advanced player, not that anyone couldn't get some good out of it. Much of that book is only useful to the player who has all the basics very well in hand and can do them automatically, and then bring Koga's thoughts into the picture.

Also, some of it is a bit difficult to follow unless you have someone to show you--there is nothing 'radical' or out of the mainstream there, so perhaps your teacher could help in figuring out the more obscure parts.

Have you listened to Koga's playing? Good thing to do.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-01-17 07:35:42

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Masayuki Koga's book

It's an interesting book because it talks in great detail about sound production, technique etc. which is not covered extensively in other sources. He has another pamphlet sized book of shakuhachi essays which is also a good read.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer