Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-22 03:23:46

Yu-Jin

Koto tuning for shakuhachi

Hi everybody,
Can somebody tell me how koto is tuned to play with shakuhachi? Or maybe you can point at the right direction where I can find the info?
Thanks.
Eugene

#2 2006-01-22 05:10:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Koto tuning for shakuhachi

Yu-Jin wrote:

Hi everybody,
Can somebody tell me how koto is tuned to play with shakuhachi? Or maybe you can point at the right direction where I can find the info?
Thanks.
Eugene

If you mean how the tuning happens, they listen to your ro pitch (which can be different depending on whether you use 1.8, 1.9, 1.6 or 2.1) then they tune to that. Sometimes they use an electronic tuning device after they figure out if you are A 440, A438, A445 or whatever. There is really a large span even with 1.8's. Many of the older ones were around A438, which is quite low by modern standards. Then they use whatever tuning is standard for the piece. There are several tunings. As far as the shakuhachi is concerned they really want you to match the meri pitches which are very low.

Or if your question means, "How is the koto tuned?" in terms of scales and pitches here is a good web site in English which talks about the subject. This site also lists many players. If you have the opportunity to play with them, by all means do so, because you can learn as much from string players as from shakuhachi teachers.

http://koto.home.att.net/tuning.html

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-01-22 15:57:47

kyoreiflutes
Website

Brian, are you saying that the Koto player tunes to the flute player before the performance? I know a Koto/shakuhachi husband and wife team, and I'm noticed she seems to do that, but I've never asked. I guess that would make sense.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2006-01-22 16:38:33

Yu-Jin

Tairaku wrote:

they listen to your ro pitch (which can be different depending on whether you use 1.8, 1.9, 1.6 or 2.1) then they tune to that.

Thanks a lot!
If I understand correctly, the first note is tuned to ro, and the rest of them are relatively tuned to the first one according to the scale used to play the particular piece?

#5 2006-01-22 20:56:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

In my experience they tune to ro, or sometimes they ask for re. Anyway they tune to the shakuhachi because a string instrument is much more variable in pitch than something like a shakuhachi.

However when you are playing with a group of shakuhachi players they just tune to A440 and expect everybody to match that pitch, which is reasonable. Not all shakuhachi are tuned the same, so we have to learn to adjust to standard pitches.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2006-01-23 11:49:10

edosan
Edomologist

Just an extra note (no pun):

There's also the issue of the shakuhachi changing pitch as the temperature goes up, caused either by the flute being warmed by the player, or the ambient lighting (which is often quite hot), or both.

It's the bane of shakuhachi/koto ensembles....

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer