World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-08-09 07:37:22

Sibet

belgian soulsurfer

Hi all!

Just registered on the forum.

I am from Belgium. I have been looking for a long time to find an instrument to complement soulsurfing (longboard surfing).

I have a 2.5 kyotaku now and think it is the perfect connection. Also have a yuu shakuhachi for learning.

If there are other players from Flanders, give a shoot!

Look forward learning a lot on the forum.

Last edited by Sibet (2007-08-09 07:38:19)

#2 2007-08-09 10:56:47

edosan
Edomologist

Re: belgian soulsurfer

Welcome, Sibet!

Do some great surfing on those big waves up off Flanders?

smile

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-08-09 17:26:01

Harazda

Hey Sibet,

I've played these flutes since the summer of 1974... and I've surfed since the summer of 1965.  Presently, I live on the central Florida east coast - Brevard County - and surf whenever there're waves.  This is the FLAT season.. hopefully about to heat up in the tropics.  My rides? 

10'7" Hynson redfin gun
10' Tyler Sleek Zeke squaretail
10' Tyler Point pintail
6'2" Neilson Lis fish
...and a number of paipo boards  (for prone riding... really fun)

Surfers like to hear about what others are riding, right?  There you are.

You are correct.  Although many hodads equate surfing with the brainless two-step stomp and party-driven nincompoopage, we know the truth, don't we?  Surfing is a sublime art of mind and spirit.  It looks as though you have the perfect setup: longboard and kyotaku.  Surfing the North Sea must be VERY interesting.  Some of my ancestors sailed that sea to invade Britain... and settled there, in Norfolk, for 13 generations before emigrating to Turtle Island (North America).

My first wave was in one of our Great Lakes.  How weird is that?

I haven't heard Koku Nishimura's playing yet; I hope to soon.  Just looking at his flutes online, and looking at his devoted following, I think he had a pretty cool scene.

I hope you get many great waves, and reach the highest levels in the art of kyotaku!

Peace,
Chris Harazda

Last edited by Harazda (2007-08-09 17:26:55)

#4 2007-08-10 03:55:19

Sibet

Hi and thanks for the replies and welcome!

Surfing on the northsea is indeed challenging, but it can go off. Recently we had a clean 7-8ft summerswell with nice peelers, so it does happen. But not like california of course and no big waves! ;-) You are absolutly right about surfing being more spiritual than anything, especially because of the connection with the elements and nature's power.

That's some nice boards you have there too. I currently surf a 9'0" and a 9'6" local shaped and looking to find a good retrofish (not sure about the dimensions just yet). I saw some great lake surfing on Endless Summer II and it looked like a lot of fun!

I bought my kyotaku from tilopu (learning from Koku Nishimura) and hope progressing with it. I only got it recently, but it has a very rich and deep sound.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.

Last edited by Sibet (2007-08-10 03:55:40)

#5 2007-08-10 20:17:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Sibet.

Welcome to the forum.
I suppose you know of Kees Kort? Although he is from the Netherlands, he would probably know most shakuhachi players in that Belgium too? Also there is Igor and Jan in Belgium... do you know these guys. I am not sure if they are in Flanders, though.

If you scroll down here: http://www.shakuhachisummer-soas.com/schedule.html
You can see a picture of John Kaizan Neptune walking with a surf board with a shakuhachi.

If you are interested in an European based shakuhachi emailing list where we discuss shakuhachi related things, but especially related to Europe, you can register at:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Euroshak/

We are - slowly but surely - in the midst of creating the European Shakuhachi Society. We have already quite some members. Our website is not quite there yet - presently mostly about the Summer School in July - but there is a shakuhachi event in Europe page as well. Keep an eye with it. And hopefully we will be able to create a permanent site soon:
http://shakuhachisociety.eu/

Enjoy both the surfing and blowing!
Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2007-08-13 09:20:59

Sibet

Thanks Kiku, I already contacted some of the people you mentioned.

But I am not really looking for any "traditional" type shakuhachi playing and am looking for learning the kyotaku in dept. Already came into contact with Hans Van Loon from kyotaku.nl and he has helped me a great deal! Not easy to find anything in Belgium related to kyotaku.

Last edited by Sibet (2007-08-13 09:21:37)

Board footer