#1 2007-06-15 14:43:44

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

S.F. Bay Area Shakuhachi Making and Playing Workshop

SHAKUHACHI WORKSHOP

How to Make and Play Shakuhachi
with Ken LaCosse and Michael Chikuzen Gould

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/lacosseshop.jpg    http://www.mujitsu.com/images/gould.jpg

What:  This will be a double workshop: Learning how to Make Shakuhachi with Ken LaCosse
and Honkyoku Playing Workshop  with  Michael Chikuzen Gould.

At the end of the double workshop, each participant will take home their own handmade shakuhachi, complimentary Chanting and Jinashi Shakuhachi CD's and hopefully a deeper appreciation of the relationship between making and playing shakuhachi.

Where:  Tatsumaki Taiko, 725 Gilman St. Berkeley, CA

When:  Saturday,   August 25,  2007 2:00pm~9:00pm
2:00~5:00 Flute making
5:00~6:00 Dinner break
6:00~9:00 Shakuhachi playing

Fee:  $150

Contact:  Ken LaCosse at emptyflute@mujitsu.com or 415-242-0919
or Michael Gould at chikuzen@earthlink.net or 313-600-2610.

Learning how to Make Shakuhachi:  Ken LaCosse

Regardless of your playing level with shakuhachi, it's always a meaningful experience to make your own instrument. It's also an important part of the shakuhachi experience to develop an understanding of why the shakuhachi sounds the way it does.

For the shakuhachi making workshop, we'll be using Tonkin non-root bamboo. We'll be making jinashi or no bore filler shakuhachi There will be no additives, paints or glues used. All participants will be guided through the steps necessary to walk away with their own handmade shakuhachi. Special emphasis will be placed on the individuality of each piece of bamboo; an important aspect of jinashi flute making. You are welcome to use your new shakuhachi for the Honkyoku Playing Workshop which follows. Participants are also encouraged to bring a 1.8 shakuhachi if they have one. Flute making tools and materials will be provided. We'll get our hands dirty, so please bring appropriate clothing!

The workshop is ideal for all levels of players who wish to complete the equation and make what they play.                                                                         

Honkyoku Playing Workshop:  Michael Chikuzen Gould

The roots of shakuhachi are meditation, chanting and nature. Meditation is breathing and focus of concentration which is what doing shakuhachi is. We will look at similarities in Shorei chanting and compare them to shakuhachi playing. We will learn a revised version of  the song "Horai"  to understand a song that was derived from chanting and also learn “Koku” and “Tamuke,” songs easily chanted and ones you’ll hopefully be able to play on your new shakuhachi.

I believe that there are many ideas about shakuhachi which are born from inexperience of any "hands on" work with making shakuhachi and also from not having a chance to spend much time with craftsmen who make them. Inexperience in chanting and meditation and lack of a chance to  study the direct connection with honkyoku with a clear presentation leads to rootlessness.  In my mind, this creates  what I would call an an unhealthy and "improper appreciation" of the instrument, the craftsmen who make them and the tradition they originated in. I hope we can help create a real and healthy perspective by offering this opportunity to spend time with us, learn more about the craft and the roots of shakuhachi. I think it will lead to a more complete and fullfilling shakuhachi experience.

Ken LaCosse at  emptyflute@mujitsu.com  415-242-0919  Website
Michael Chikuzen Gould at  chikuzen@earthlink.net  313-600-2610  Website

#2 2007-07-21 05:05:19

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: S.F. Bay Area Shakuhachi Making and Playing Workshop

Hi guys, what's the status on this workshop? We're about a month away, should be making some new noise. It sounds really great.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2007-07-21 09:07:48

Harazda

Wow.  I sure wish everything cool that's happening in the world wasn't a continent away from where I live.

#4 2007-07-21 16:02:35

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chris,
  The workshop is on for sure. I'm playing shakuhachi everyday again and the doctor gave me the ok to fly so no problems here. Plus, there's still about a month so I'll be 100%.
   Hope to see you there!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#5 2007-07-23 14:54:31

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Chris,
  The workshop is on for sure. I'm playing shakuhachi everyday again and the doctor gave me the ok to fly so no problems here. Plus, there's still about a month so I'll be 100%.
   Hope to see you there!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

That is great to hear on both counts, that the workshop is on and that you're feeling better.

Is there a Motel 6 in bus distance of the workshop site? I'm looking on google maps, etc.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#6 2007-07-24 16:03:19

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

That is great to hear on both counts, that the workshop is on and that you're feeling better.

Is there a Motel 6 in bus distance of the workshop site? I'm looking on google maps, etc.

Chris,

From LA? What dedication! (Please bring art supplies!) I'm not certain if there is a Motel 6 nearby, but I'm sure there are a number of inexpensive motels near that area. (Well, inexpensive for the Bay Area that is!)

Ken
--------------------------------------------------------

An additional note to those interested in the workshop:

Since we'll be making jinashi shakuhachi. Each flute will be tuned to itself. So, most of the flutes made will be in different sizes and keys. For the Playing Workshop, it's best for everyone to play a 1.8 (D). If you have one, please bring it along. In fact, feel free to bring along other flutes for all of us to check out! I'll have a number of 1.8 PVC shakuhachi for those who do not have a 1.8.

Also, if you would, please let us know your level of experience with shakuhachi. That will help us plan the workshop. All levels are welcome! You can respond to us outside the forum.

More updates soon.

Thanks,

Ken

#7 2007-08-06 04:32:11

Moran from Planet X
Website

Okay for anyone interested in an affordable (relative to Bay Area) motel in the area of the workshop go to:

Berkeley Travelodge
1820 University Ave
ML King Way & University Ave
Berkeley, CA, 94703
Phone: 510-843-4262

http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/co … cid=%EAid!

Ken tells me that he is bringing Taimu shakuhachi to the workshop. I'll be bringing my 2.35 Taimu. It promises to be "chuckie-jam packed" with things to do and see and learn.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-08-06 04:36:22)

#8 2007-08-15 13:10:44

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Just a reminder that there is still time to sign up for the Shakuhachi Making and Playing workshop on Saturday, August 25th. We're asking those interested to contact us and register this week. (outside the forum)

Contact:  Ken LaCosse at emptyflute@mujitsu.com or 415-242-0919
or Michael Gould at chikuzen@earthlink.net or 313-600-2610.

Thanks. Hope to see you there!

Ken

#9 2007-08-21 14:08:38

Moran from Planet X
Website

See you all there!

Board footer