Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-07-26 21:46:13

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

How are you learning traditional Japanese pieces?

Hello everyone.  I hope the summer (or in Tasmania, New Zealand and other parts winter...) finds everyone well and enjoying their shakuhachi playing.  I posted some questions concerning how players outside of Japan are learning traditional pieces about a half a year or so ago and some people were kind enough to answer that but I'd like to ask the questions again, in a more simplified form.  I am interested in learning how people outside of Japan are learning the traditional pieces as some people do not have regular access to a teacher and may be learning long distance or through the occasional workshop, video lessons, cassette tapes, over the Internet,  and on their own from material accessed from shakuhachi related sites, or some combination of the above.  I'd like to be able to collect as much information as possible on this topic as we don't really have many statistics (that I'm aware of) about players outside of Japan and how they are going about learning the traditional music, and if I can gather enough information I'd like to write a little article about it.  So if you can spare a bit of time please try and answer the following questions:

1.  What kind of traditional pieces are you learning?   Honkyoku, gaikyoku, minyo etc.

2.  How long have you been learning or playing traditional Japanese music of any kind?

3.  How have you been learning the traditional pieces?   (choose the most appropriate letter and try and give some specific information)

A) regular lessons with a teacher  (how often?)

B) occasional workshops/ lessons    (how often?)

C)  long distance lessons of some kind - video, cassette tape etc.  (please specify)

D) mostly or completely on my own from Internet sources, tapes, videos, cds, downloaded music etc.
    (please specify what kind of sources)

E)  a combination of the above (please specify)

Many thanks...

#2 2007-07-27 00:54:45

Zakarius

Re: How are you learning traditional Japanese pieces?

1) Honkyoku.
2) Just over a year.
3) D -- I've purchased a few scores and accompanying recordings (which match the pitch of my large flutes). I also have many CDs and do a lot of attentive listening. I get a lot out of the discussions here, as well. Plenty of practicing, too...

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2007-07-27 06:50:11

Larry

1.  Honkyoku, minyo, gagaku, gaikyoku
2. ~3.5 years
3. D -- lessons 1-2 times per month with a teacher plus learning pieces on my own using recordings and scores

#4 2007-07-27 07:22:26

Alex

1) Gakyoku (Chidori no Kyoku), Honkyoku (Honshirabe)
2) 2 years
3) D but I try to meet with a teacher whenever I can. I studied for around 6 weeks with a teacher when I started and then I have gone to 5 more lessons since.

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#5 2007-07-27 07:43:36

Harazda

33 years at the foot of Mt. Watazumi,
Allowing sound and environment to be non-dual,
No teacher but Prajñaparamita,
And the wind in palms and pines.

*Soon, Watazumi's grandson Chikuzen Gould will open the doors of my old barn, and some of the dust will blow out.  The universe has eyes, and a Heart without limit.

Last edited by Harazda (2007-07-27 07:46:24)

#6 2007-07-27 14:14:51

dstone
Website

1.  Honkyoku.
2.  2.5 years.
3.  A: weekly/biweekly lessons with teacher & B: workshops or other lessons when available.

Good luck with your research, Daniel.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-07-27 19:48:40

Kerry

1. Honkyoku
2. 3 years
3. E - on my own, Stan Richardson's 10 composition lesson cds, one lesson with Michael Gould, and much
         listening and long tone practice.

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#8 2007-07-27 19:58:18

waryr

1. Honkyoku
2.  5 years making sounds, 2 years trying to learn classic.
3.  D-on my own. No teacher that I know of near here. CD's and tapes and just daily practice.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#9 2007-08-03 02:18:44

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Thanks, you all, for posting your information concerning what you are doing with traditional Japanese pieces.  Also, I managed to listen to your Shika No Tone, Larry. It sounds like you are getting the phrasing down quite well; maybe try extending your phrases a bit more...  Keep up the good work!  And anyone else -- there must be others in this forum of over 500 participants -- who is learning traditional pieces, please post your information.  It was interesting to read that several players are almost totally learning Japanese traditional music on their own.

#10 2007-08-24 19:15:45

BrianP
Website

1. Honkyoku, Folk Pieces
2. 1 yr 1-2 hrs per day.
3. B - Ronnie Seldin at KiSuiAn shakuihachi camp.
E - I have the scores from Ronnie and the music and I work on the pieces and get them as close as I can and then work with Ronnie on the piece to get the subtleties.  I will also start taking weekly online classes with him also.  I also used Carl Abbotts blowing zen book and CD to get started.

BrianP

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

Board footer