Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-08-28 03:36:50

vibe

Teacher in Nagoya

Hi there,

I'm looking for a teacher in the Nagoya area - preferably Kinko (even better Yokoyama) ryu. Some English to help my very broken Japanese would be awesome too.

cheers.

#2 2007-08-28 09:40:26

Bogert

Re: Teacher in Nagoya

Hey there Vibe,
I live near Nagoya in Toyohashi.  I have a lesson this Friday and .. if I can remember... I will ask my teacher about people in Nagoya.   How broken is broken Japanese?  Mine isn't very good but I can communicate with my teacher who speaks only a couple words in English. 
You can e-mail me if you want.

Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#3 2007-08-28 20:43:44

vibe

Hi Chris,

That would be great. Thanks so much. Yes, my Japanese is extremely broken (and I'm not being modest). But I think that I could probably pick up the terms required for shakuhachi pretty quickly if I had to. It would be more an issue of whether a teacher would be prepared to teach me given that I can understand very little of what they're saying.

Last edited by vibe (2007-08-28 20:44:27)

#4 2007-08-29 03:42:16

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hi Vibe,
The fact that you can't speak Japanese and a teacher can't communicate in English doesn't necessarily mean that the situation would be bad.  When I started shakuhachi with my teacher of 20 years, Tsurugi Kodo , I had no knowledge of Japanese nor he knowledge of English.  I decided that from the beginning I wasn't going to follow my western sense to ask many questions and just listen, watch, imitate and practice.  I' now have my own students.  In retrospect, I don't think that our inability to verbally communicate was a real hindrance in either of our cases.  If patience is one of your virtues, along with a real interest to grow into this instrument, then I suggest that you go for the best teacher you can find.  It would also be very useful to open up to Japanese social manner and mannerisms.  They will take you a long way.  The words will come of their own accord.
good luck with it.
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#5 2007-08-29 21:58:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Vibe, Lucky you! You have so many options. And as Jeff points out, there's no need to worry about the language barrier.  I studied with four teachers when I was in Japan AND did numerous workshops. Many of the players did not speak any English and it was never an issue. As long as you can get an introduction to the teacher and have someone make a schedule of lessons, you are set. It's also important to be mindful of the customs.  A long deep bow (longer than your teacher) will take you far.

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I decided that from the beginning I wasn't going to follow my western sense to ask many questions and just listen, watch, imitate and practice.

I found this to be a great way of learning!

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2007-08-31 09:40:21

Bogert

Ah crap! I forgot : ( I just got back from my lesson a few hours ago and just remembered....  I'll e-mail him instead and see what he says.
Sorry about that.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#7 2007-09-02 17:54:36

ENLIGHTED-ONE

Is there anyone to help a beginner in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area?

Board footer