Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-09-06 17:37:08

JanF

A newborne Shakuhachi pupil needs help

Hallo all you experienced players. I am 70.

I have for years been interested in Shakuhachi music, especially for my meditation practice.

Recently I thought why not learn to play myself.

I have read at this forum that it is good to start playing at 11 and it will take 30 years to play ok.
Since I plan be at least 100 it must be ok for me too !

So 3 weeks ago I received my Yuu.
I have practiced a lot every day.

Now I can play a reasonable Go-no-hi,  Otsu Ri, Chi, Re and a week Tsu, but not the Ro.

(I am happy that Blasdel writes that Ro can be an exasperatingly difficult tone to play)

What can I do or not do to find this soft open tone ?

And thanks to Youngflutes for the advice about playing long tones as practice.

#2 2007-09-06 19:00:48

philthefluter
Website

Re: A newborne Shakuhachi pupil needs help

I have posted a couple of articles about breathing on my website that may be useful. Best of luck.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2007-09-07 03:33:44

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Jan,

In Japan a lot of retirees pick up shakuhachi (or other arts) because they finally have the time to do something other than work. So you're in good company! At that stage it's probably not so important to try to become "good" rather to enjoy it and get some benefits from the breathing and soothing tones.

As far as ro is concerned, it's the kind of thing a teacher could probably sort out for you in 5 minutes. Is there anyone around you? Where are you located?

Maybe you are not making a complete seal on the holes. If they are not totally covered the note will not happen. That's just a guess.

Welcome to the world of shakuhachi!

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-09-07 06:38:57

nyokai
shihan
Website

I have several students who started shakuhachi later in life than you -- no problem.
Yes, I agree with Brian -- a few minutes with a good teacher could probably help a lot with your RO issue. Or if you're nowhere near a teacher, several of us do live webcam lessons, which work pretty well.
Good luck!

#5 2007-09-08 06:43:50

JanF

Thank you very much to all of you for your supporting advice.

You are abselutely right Tairaku about all the time for training. I have been doing Sumi-e for some years now. The difference is that whatever you do with an inked bruch something will come out of it, but out of the Shakuhachi !

Anyway, I know: Patience, patience and training !

I am soon going to have my first lesson with a qualified teacher, Kiku Day,  who lives nearby (Denmark) and I know from the many sighs (the missing teachers) around the world that I shall feel very lucky.

And thanks to Philip for the advice on your website.

It is good to know that a lot of oldtimers get started with the Shakuhachi and are happy with it.

By the way, I am now playing the Yuu. Some time in the future I plan to get a Bamboo. Except for the subtle qualities what is the difference in playing the Yuu and a bamboo ? Easier, more difficult ?

#6 2007-09-08 07:10:09

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Jan,

If you will be studying with Kiku you are very lucky indeed. She's a fantastic player and teacher.

She specializes in playing long shakuhachi which are for some people easier to play than the Yuu or other 1.8 shakuhachi. I'm sure she will point you in the right direction.

Regards,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2007-09-08 19:23:21

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

JanF wrote:

Hallo all you experienced players. I am 70.

I have for years been interested in Shakuhachi music, especially for my meditation practice.

Recently I thought why not learn to play myself.

I have read at this forum that it is good to start playing at 11 and it will take 30 years to play ok.
Since I plan be at least 100 it must be ok for me too !

So 3 weeks ago I received my Yuu.
I have practiced a lot every day.

Now I can play a reasonable Go-no-hi,  Otsu Ri, Chi, Re and a week Tsu, but not the Ro.

(I am happy that Blasdel writes that Ro can be an exasperatingly difficult tone to play)

What can I do or not do to find this soft open tone ?

And thanks to Yungflutes for the advice about playing long tones as practice.

Hi JanF thanks for your message.

Most players believe that long tone playing is beneficial for several reasons. For health, it regulates your breathing and thus invigorates the mind and nervous system. For musicality, it develops the lips and ears for the timbrel shifts, which are essential to shakuhachi music. I'm glad my Sasa Buki exercise is working for you.

nyokai wrote:

Yes, I agree with Brian -- a few minutes with a good teacher could probably help a lot with your RO issue.

I just had someone drive up from Boston for a flute check up. When I heard him play, I couldn't help but offer a simple playing tip. Later that evening, he wrote me this email. Perry, It was a pleasure to meet with you.  I don't know which contributed more, the tweaking or the advice to go after your note with air filled lungs, chest and throat... my Ro improved immensely."

His particular problem was that he was starting each blow with a half filled lung. A person who starts with a full lung has much more time to find the note. That kind of support behind the breath has more of a chance in getting the note.  While I was waiting for my private lesson with Riley the last time he was in New York, I heard him tell the player before me to get the note anyway you can. Then from there, you manipulate it into what you want it to do. Even if it's a soft note, hang on to it. With a full lung of air behind it, you'll be able to take it somewhere else.

tairaku wrote:

Maybe you are not making a complete seal on the holes. If they are not totally covered the note will not happen. That's just a guess.

That is the major cause of not getting Ro if you are getting the other notes, unless your Yuu has a crack in it. Another thing to be aware of is the space under your lower lip where you rest the flute. I notice many beginners seem to leave a gap there. That gap allows air to escape and prevents Ro from happening.  There should be a complete seal on the top except for the space between your embouchure opening in the utaguchi edge.

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your valuable time with the flute.

Best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-09-08 19:29:45)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2007-09-10 10:39:36

shinkage ryu

I am no shakuhachi expert, but I consider myself a fairly good player.  I usually just back off from the utaguchi a bit and Open up the airstream a bit more to play RO.  its different for every one, but I figure this advice may help a bit!

“What sort of person are you, really, inside and what lies concealed there?”—the shakuhachi will undoubtedly supply the answer"

(taken from: "Take No Kokoro" by by Kurahashi Yodo Sensei)

Board footer