Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2006-02-02 22:41:42

Lady B Lotus

Re: Meditation & Shakuhachi – Do they really go together?

Interesting discussion. Thanks.

#27 2006-02-03 06:44:12

KenC

I'm newer to the forumn and just recently purchased a Yuu to begin Shakuhachi practice.  I'm a Zen practioner and saw shakuhachi as a good "art" to add to my practice.  I will certainly continue sitting, and as my blowing progresses possibly add it as a supplement to an evening sitting.   

Recently i've been listening to Honkyoku and doing some simple blowing after Zazen and find it almost a natural compliment.  But like all practice, everyones practice is their own good practice!  So for now when sitting, just sit, when blowing, just blow.

Best wishes,

KenC

#28 2006-02-04 01:41:10

kyoreiflutes
Website

I haven't really begun sitting in earnest yet, as I have these long, flat feet with no arches; hence, I get this space where my foot should be sitting flush on the fllor, so I can't support my own weight for more than a minute or three. So, I have to get one of those benches, although I'll probably just make a simple one myself.

Does anyone else here use a bench while sitting?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#29 2006-02-04 07:25:03

KenC

kyoreiflutes,

I do any sitting over 30 minn on a bench.  I'm short so went with an Omni Bench which folds and is available in different sizes.  I've been very happy with mine!!  It is a bit more than the fixed benches but worth it in my opinion.  It's also beatifull Laquered Cherry.  Peter catizone is the maker and they are available on his site.  I believe Neil has them on his site also.

Regards,

KenC

#30 2007-02-24 14:05:10

KODOAN.COM
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I haven't really begun sitting in earnest yet, as I have these long, flat feet with no arches; hence, I get this space where my foot should be sitting flush on the fllor, so I can't support my own weight for more than a minute or three. So, I have to get one of those benches, although I'll probably just make a simple one myself.

Does anyone else here use a bench while sitting?

-E

I've used Zabuton before but at 185lbs, they get squashed pretty quick.  Although I've been practicing Zazen since I was six years old, my legs still fall asleep after about a half hour. 

Benches are about the easiest thing to throw together and I've made a few over the years from left over scraps.  Nothing pretty but they work. 

Occasionally, I find myself somewhere without a bench and I'll just sit seiza and let my legs fall asleep.  I normally sit for one hour a day and try to sit for three hours once a week (I don't always make the time).

#31 2007-02-24 15:20:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I use the Omni Bench as well, and he also makes a nice stand for scriptures which can be used as a music stand. Good craftsman.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#32 2007-07-17 05:45:33

Harazda

Getting back to the original poster's dilemma, I once again bring up Shunryu Suzuki's statement, "When you become you, Zen becomes Zen."  To this, I would add, "But, it's not about you."

Consider taking your playing to the Mahayana level: patiently perfect your playing while aspiring that, through the process, the pain and suffering of countless beings might be eliminated in a flash!

And, with Watazumi in mind, don't forget the medium of wabi sabi.  What is the idea of "perfection," and where does it come from?

#33 2007-07-22 03:15:05

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Shakuhachi can be played as meditation. So doing meditation alone with Shakuhachi on the side or vice versa is as far as I am concerned not problematic the only problem that will arise is when people try to much to ask themselves questions about it. If it feels right do it! If it feels wrong do it again and again for a while until you are really convinced it is not good for you then you can really say it has no connection or is not good for you. The answers to personal choices or feelings can only come from the asker himself advice might seem very nice but I feel they are a waste of calories.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

Board footer