Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-28 04:47:21

Bogert

Inlays for the center joint

Hello,
     I was just sitting here thinking... and then I thought how do you get the binding flush with the edge on each side of the center joint?  I have 4-rin rattan binding, is that too big to work well there?  How exactly do you wrap it?  In the past I have used other materials and used a knot that goes inside the binding, but I tried that with the rattan and it breaks.  What is the best way to do this?  Thanks for any input and pictures always help if their are any that pertain to this. 
                                                                                                         Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2006-01-28 13:43:24

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Inlays for the center joint

Bogert wrote:

Hello,
     I was just sitting here thinking... and then I thought how do you get the binding flush with the edge on each side of the center joint?  I have 4-rin rattan binding, is that too big to work well there?  How exactly do you wrap it?  In the past I have used other materials and used a knot that goes inside the binding, but I tried that with the rattan and it breaks.  What is the best way to do this?  Thanks for any input and pictures always help if their are any that pertain to this. 
                                                                                                         Chris

Chris,

Some makers use a two part epoxy to glue the rattan in place. Another option is to use shuai urushi (brown) to glue and "paint" in the rattan. The advantage of urushi is that it also stains the rattan to your desired shade.

Cutting and shaping a slightly inward sloping bevel into the female end of the shakuhachi allows for a flush fit for both ends. Mejiro sells some handy files for achieving this. You can also make your own from scrap bamboo and sand paper.

Once the the joint is flush, it's a matter of wrapping the binding (wider rattan should work too) then slicing off the overhanging rattan. Paint the area that will be wrapped with glue or urushi. Start a centimeter or two in and work towards the joint for each end. Feather the starting end of rattan. Fold the tiny end in and wrap over it a few times. This will secure it in place. There is no need for a knot. Finish file and sand carefully until the fit is flush.

Keep in mind there are many ways to do this. This is one tested method.

Ken

Here is a shot of a careful fit without using urushi. (Notice the light color of the binding)

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/rattan.JPG

#3 2006-01-29 00:05:40

Bogert

有難う(arigatoo),  that answered my question quite nicely.  I just found out how to type in Japanese on my computer   : )
                                                                           クリス ボゲリト
                                                                          Chris Bogert

理趣経百字の偈

#4 2006-01-29 21:03:37

kyoreiflutes
Website

How do you do that, Chris, and is it translating, or typing nonsense?

Thanks!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-02-07 04:28:23

Bogert

Oh, sorry I just noticed you had posted that, if you have windows XP, go to control panel then Regional and language options, click on languages, check install files for east asian languages, go to details and then install the Japanese language thingy, my friend did it for me, but I think that is all you need to do.  Then you can type in Japanese.  It isn't translating, you have to know how to write in Japanese, I can read hiragana and katakana and some kanji, but am still learning.  You type in hiragana and it will pull up a list of kanji and you pick the appropriate one.  僕はちょっと日本語を話します。 boku wa chotto nihongo o hanashimasu, literally: I alittle japanese speak. I'm currently taking a year long course for Japanese. I'm only about 1/3 through it right now.
                                                                                                   Chris

理趣経百字の偈

Board footer