Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » "Vent" hole near bottom of flute for fundamental pitch tuning???

#1 2007-09-28 01:14:06

Shakulingus

"Vent" hole near bottom of flute for fundamental pitch tuning???

I just got a library book on bamboo with a section about making flutes in it.  There was a root end made by Marek Gold (the Fluteman) that was 690mm from root end to utaguchi with a "vent" hole on the back at 600mm (12-16mm) for tuning to the fundamental pitch.  I'm guessing it's close to C or C# depending on which pitch chart is used (they are all slightly different--at least the ones I have).  The flute was 33mm bored to 20mm at the mouth, 40mm bored to 18mm at the root end, and 14-16mm at the choke point between the bottom finger hole and the third hole.  The top finger hole was placed at 300mm with the other holes each 60mm between hole centers including the thumb hole 60mm up from the top finger hole.  I think these dimensions were used mainly because the utaguchi falls on a node at that length.  It's a one piece flute. The thing looks like a serious club.  Has anyone used the "vent" hole to tune a flute for the fundamental like this?  The dimensions for the finger and thumb holes all at 60mm is about as ergonomically as far apart as I would want.  I know about placing the top and third holes where they are "supposed to go", and adjusting the others to where they fit my hands.  The reason I am asking is because I have some bamboo that is close to these dimensions, and the node for the utaguchi will fall somewhere between 625-700 mm.  I am not ready to try and tackle a two piece Shakuhachi just yet, and the "vent" hole idea looks like a good alternative to get the utaguchi on the node.  I have seen these type "vents" on Native American flutes.  I know it's probably not traditional, but it looked like a pretty good idea for a novice like me.  Also, wouldn't this length be suitable to make a 2.3ish flute by readjusting the hole placement using one of the formulas and not using the "vent"?  Any thoughts?

#2 2007-09-28 04:07:50

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: "Vent" hole near bottom of flute for fundamental pitch tuning???

This size of bamboo could be suitable for a 2.3 (69.7 cm) or less depending on node spacing.  There's not much reason to use a vent hole at the bottom unless you are concerned about having a certain number of nodes on the instrument but the node placement doesn't suit the hole spacing.  However, you might consider the closest size of instrument where the foot ends at a node,  the utaguchi is at a node and holes don't fall on nodes for the size that it is.  I'm not trying to discourage you from trying the vent hole approach, I'm saying that you might be able to acheive a good instrument without it.
good luck

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2007-09-28 09:24:47

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I have a flute which has great tone and plays perfectly in tune for a 2.3. The problem is it's a 2.4. It was made by one of Watazumi's students. The fundamental note is A but the holes are all placed for a Bb flute. Duh! They must have been smoking some strong stuff when they made this one. Anyway I showed it to Perry and we debated for a while about leaving it as is, cutting off the root to make it in tune, or doing as you mention, a "vent" hole. We opted for the latter and turned it into a Bb instrument because we didn't want to lose the root. Whether that makes it a traditional or acceptable solution I don't know. Perry liked the results enough to put his hanko. Perry do you have pics of that?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-09-29 10:53:47

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I have a flute which has great tone and plays perfectly in tune for a 2.3. The problem is it's a 2.4. It was made by one of Watazumi's students. The fundamental note is A but the holes are all placed for a Bb flute. Duh! They must have been smoking some strong stuff when they made this one. Anyway I showed it to Perry and we debated for a while about leaving it as is, cutting off the root to make it in tune, or doing as you mention, a "vent" hole. We opted for the latter and turned it into a Bb instrument because we didn't want to lose the root. Whether that makes it a traditional or acceptable solution I don't know. Perry liked the results enough to put his hanko. Perry do you have pics of that?

Hi Taikaku, I remember that flute well. I remember playing it with you at Bryant Park on 42nd street jamming with the buzz and hum of midtown traffic! We debated for a while but I eventually drilled a 1/4"- 3/8" vent hole to save the root. It played very well in tune after that. When you saw it, you said it would be nice to hang a bell off the hole! What a great idea that was. Hope you don't mind if I steal it for performance smile

Unfortunately , I don't have photos of that flute anymore. It was done in 2003? - pre-Sasa days. Different computer,  different life.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2007-10-07 02:28:30

Shakulingus

Is it also possible that the "vent" hole was used to produce a flute where the holes fall in more or less the correct position?  In effect meaning not too close to the node, or actually ON the node which I have read is a definite NO NO .  I have a good piece of bamboo that corresponds to the length for a 1.8 physically, but a couple of the holes would be dangerously close to a node, or even on the node.  The piece could howerer be made into a 1.7 or 1.6 (using a vent hole) near the foot and keeping hole placing closer to the optimum or traditional position.  I am attempting to save the root end AND the utaguchi on the top node, and it seems it would work this way.  In other words, a flute 54.5 cm, but tuned to be a 1.7 or 1.6 which uses a vent hole.  Will this work OK?  Just a thought to make the flute "look right, or at least OK.  Remember, this is all very new to me.  Thanks

#6 2007-10-07 14:57:46

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Shakulingus,
Professional makers who make shakuhachi commercially avoid the node. In Japan, a flute with a finger hole on a node will not sell. However, this does not mean that other makers care about this as hobbyists and monks make flutes with all kinds of visual no nos. 

The visual aesthetics are very important in Japan, sometimes even more than the playability. Everyone can judge the looks of a flute and how well it full fills the present standard, but relatively few can judge it's playability.

Making the flute with the vent hole may allow it to be more visually acceptable, but difficulty to say how it will affect the playability since we know nothing about the aspect ratio - Length X Diameter.

If you have a small bore, using a vent hole may be OK. If you have a large bore, it may have an adverse affect on the playability.

Good luck and please do let us know the results.

Namaste, Perry

#7 2007-10-07 16:23:48

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

A lot of xiao have vent holes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2007-10-08 02:27:24

Shakulingus

Thanks, Perry

The piece of bamboo in question is about 38mm on the outside by right at 55 cm and is from some of this wierd Georgia stock I have.  It is kinda fat.  If I try and make it into a 1.8, the bottom hole and hole 2 will be dead on a node, hole 3 out in the middle of a section, the bottom of hole 4 touching a node, and the thumb hole in the middle of a section.  I am not too concerned with the "look" but was just wondering how much trouble it will cause with some of the holes on a node or in close proximity to a node.  I would really perfer to make it into a 1.8.  It has a beautiful curve at the root, and I would really like to use it that way.  A very old friend stopped by the other day and saw it.  He picked it up and asked if I was making a bong!  I laughed and told him that what it was going to be was WAY more cosmic than that!  LOL  I then played him some Shakuhachi music, and he agreed that my use for the bamboo was a much better idea.  LOL  I guess being blessed to make it to "middle age" does have some advantages.  Anyway, any help or suggestions, as always, is much appreciated.

Peace, Steve

Last edited by Shakulingus (2007-10-08 02:29:43)

#9 2007-10-08 11:05:11

philthefluter
Website

The length at 55cm in combination with a width of 38 (which is a little wide) may result in a lower pitch than D for a 1.8 shakuhachi. What is the inner diameter at the utaguchi and root end? Adjust the length untill you get the D pitch before drilling the holes. This is all presuming you will make a one-piece nobe shakuhachi. I would not worry about having holes on the nodes if it is only for personal use. They can be hard to sell if holes are on nodes. Post a picture.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#10 2007-10-08 11:11:53

philthefluter
Website

It is ideal to have the utaguchi and end on a node. However, this may not be possible if your goal is make only a 1.8 shakuhachi. The key question is: do you want a shakuhachi that is 1 shaku 8 sun in length i.e 54.5cm or do you want a shakuhachi that plays the note with all holes closed to be D??? If you want the former as I said the bottom pitch will probably be lower than D unless you add filler to the bore. If you want the latter, it may mean the bottom not ending on a node. Make sure to have the utaguchi on a node (good pictures elsewhere on the forum). Having both bottom and top on a node as well as all holes between nodes will make the shakuhachi less likely to crack in the long term.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#11 2007-10-08 23:42:26

Kerry

Steve,
What do think about leaving it the length it is? If it's a little flat of D, so what! That extra little length may be that extra little AR, that might make that extra little difference! Craft an utaguchi and blow ro otsu and otsu into kan and back to otsu. Live with it for a while and get a good feel of it. Forget about holes for right now and down the road a ways you'll be all the better for your next step. Go out into the garden and get ya several pieces to proceed with. It's a long journey, dude!smile 
-kerry

Last edited by Kerry (2007-10-08 23:43:34)

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#12 2007-10-09 00:58:43

Shakulingus

Hey Kerry and Philthefluter,

Thanks for the input.
The diameter at the utaguchi is around 24mm (also quite fat), at the root bore it's19mm (close to right?).  It will be a one piece.  Absolute pitch is not that big a deal, so I can live with a "little flat" or not exactly "D".  The main thing I was trippin' about was holes on a node.  I just want it to be in tune with itself.  Kerry, you are absolutely right about it being a long journey. LOL.  Man, I had no idea I would end up being addicted to Bamboo Tubes!!!  It's almost like Women.  They both tell you things that you need to really pay attention to, but the Boo is real subtle about how IT wants to be caressed.  I think I might just possibly be catching on to some of this.  Lord knows I have read almost everything I can find.  I'm going to cut the utaguchi tomorrow and see where it stands.  Fingers crossed at this point!

Thanks again for all the info,
Peace, Steve

#13 2007-10-11 09:43:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Steve, I think Kerry and Phil have some great suggestions. I would just make the flute at the length since it sounds like it has a wide bore already. If you shorten it, it will probably not have  a great high end, or at least not an "easy" one.

I think if you start out trying to make a great playing flute, it will be more fulfilling and you will be more likely to pick it up more often. If this one works well, you can take it with you into the grove for your next harvest and use it to measure the nodal placements of future pieces.

Peace, Perry

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » "Vent" hole near bottom of flute for fundamental pitch tuning???

Board footer