Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-08 18:01:43

Bogert

need a teacher in western Washington

Hello all,
    I am looking for a teacher to work with starting in april, right now I'm living in Olympia, Wa.  Although I could travel to Seattle for lessons, that is a good 2 hour trip by bus one way.  Well the closer to Olympia the better, but any in Seattle I'd like to know about too.  I didn't know quite where to post this question but this seemed good.   Thanks for any help.
                                                                                                          Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2006-02-08 18:31:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: need a teacher in western Washington

Larry Tyrrell, who is on this forum, teaches in Seattle. Why don't you contact him?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-02-08 18:35:09

Bogert

ok

理趣経百字の偈

#4 2006-02-08 18:38:29

kyoreiflutes
Website

I didn't realize Larry teaches. I'll have to contact him.

There's another guy, Peter Hill, who teaches here. He's in the U-District, and I've been in contact with him via email. However, he doesn't seem to like email, so it's rare that I get a response back. Hard to say. I don't know how much he charges, either.

It'd be cool if we could take classes together, if the instructor was into that, and could give us a break on pricing individually. Don't know if that happens much, though.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-02-08 18:44:15

Bogert

Yeah that'd be great

理趣経百字の偈

#6 2006-02-08 18:56:54

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I don't know how much he charges, either.

It'd be cool if we could take classes together, if the instructor was into that, and could give us a break on pricing individually. Don't know if that happens much, though.

-Eddie

Maybe you should wait to see what the price is before assuming you need to ask for a price break? The traditional method is for students to come together and observe each others lessons, but they are still individual lessons and don't involve discounts.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2006-02-08 19:00:42

kyoreiflutes
Website

You're right, Brian...I'm in a "getting ahead of myself" mode, which I shall now turn off.

Off.  wink

Thanks for the advice...I do tend to assume too much.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#8 2006-02-08 21:51:14

James

You can find basic lesson and contact info for Peter Hill and Larry Tyrrell towards the bottom of the following page.
http://www.megaseattle.com/shakuhachi/index.html

By the way, although Larry teaches in Seattle every other Sunday, he actually lives in Portland OR.

James

#9 2006-02-09 10:11:50

edosan
Edomologist

Regarding Peter Hill and Larry Tyrrell:

Both are first rate players, and worth every penny...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2006-02-09 12:51:38

Bogert

Thanks, I talked to Larry Tyrrell and it looks like that will work out good, thanks.

理趣経百字の偈

#11 2006-02-09 13:43:28

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yes, I think I heard once that Larry's only here every other week. I think he teaches at "Yoko's house", which is somewhere in the Lake City/North Seattle area. I'm not sure where the house is, exactly.

I'm also on the megaseattle mailing list, but those people RARELY use it, and RARELY get together. As many Japanese as we have here, and as much Japanese history is tied to Seattle, there sure are a low number of players in this town.

In fact, I was looking up the Ethnomusicology Depatrtment at the UW yesterday, and they have just about EVERY intrument you can find, including Taiko, Koto, Shamisen, Shinobue, etc...but not ONE Shakuhachi! Amazing! It doesn't even look like anyone in the department has ever played a Shakuhachi, nor has there ever been a visiting player. So sad. So, when I get into UW in 2 years, I'll be going for an Ethnomusicology Minor, I think, and rock thier world with the Shakuhachi!

-E

#12 2006-02-12 02:18:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

I just had a thought...couldn't you either get together with Larry in Portland, or perhaps you two could carpool from Oly, since it's on his way up. Just a thought.

-E

#13 2006-02-12 03:20:22

Bogert

Oh, I talked to him and he is willing to do the lessons here in Olympia on the return from his Seattle lessons. 
                                                                                                      Chris

理趣経百字の偈

#14 2006-02-12 14:39:07

kyoreiflutes
Website

Wow, that's great! What a nice guy, seriously. That saves everyone time and money.

-E

Board footer