Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-21 22:28:03

Riley Lee
Website

"Encounter, the Zen Priests of Nothingness" ABC Radio broadcast

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio programme, "Encounter, the Zen Priests of Nothingness", produced by Geoff Wood, will be replayed on ABC Radio National in January 2008.

This programme, first broadcast nationally throughout Australia in April of this year, is entirely about the shakuhachi, in particular aspects relating to the komuso and their Buddhist connections.

It features interviews with Yokoyama Katsuya, Kurahashi Yoshio, Kakizakai Kaoru, Eko Hirasomi (Head Priest at Myoanji temple in Kyoto), Christopher Blasdel, Ronnie Seldin, Riley Lee, James Franklin and Margaret Tung, (Australian shakuhachi player).

The broadcasts will be on Sunday 13 January 2008 at 7.00 am, and again Wednesday 16 January 2008 7.00pm. The programme can be heard online or downloaded for four weeks after the first broadcast.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/encounter/default.htm

There is already a transcript of the programme on the ABC website too, though of course, the transcript doesn't have the music or the voices of the original broadcast.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/encounter/stor … 882869.htm - 49k - [ html ] - 1 Apr 2007

At the risk of duplicating myself, I am posting this on the Events, Zen Buddhist and History lists.

I'll send another reminder closer to the date - if I remember.....

#2 2007-10-22 03:27:29

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: "Encounter, the Zen Priests of Nothingness" ABC Radio broadcast

Just finished reading the transcript. I feel that this was a very nice radio program giving a broad and precise overview of the whole Shakuhachi movement to the general public. There is only two things that came to my attention one of them being some imprecision/inaccuracy and the other could be a typo since I did not hear the audio file.

From Jim Franklin’s side
((They were the only class apart from the samurai who were permitted to carry a weapon, …)))

This is inaccurate.

In Edo period The Samurai/Bushi class were allowed to wear the Daisho (Full set of  Katana/Long Sword and Wakisashi/short sword)

Chonin commoners were allowed to wear and use the Wakisashi or Tanto for protection as long as it was shorter than 45.54cm of cutting edge.

So this statement is very inaccurate and misleading. For more accurate info on weapon and sword rules in Edo era Japan you can read the following article.

http://www2.una.edu/Takeuchi/DrT_Jpn_Cu … _sword.htm

From the part of
((Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin: What my teacher taught me about Sanya is, if a komuso is helping a new mother to be with a safe and easy childbirth, the first thing that he does is pour rice through the shakuhachi.))

Is it not Sanan/産安 ? Am I mistaken?  The piece quoted seems to be the wrong one or maybe Sanya is also used in the same fashion.

Now as far the program goes I was expecting more info coming out of the head priest of the Myoanji but it’s not very surprising since he is usually not very talkative and does not seem to care much in general. It actually took me 4 years of multiple visits before being able to get any real meeting/info out of him. I guess being another young Rinzai monk this was his way to give me some of his Rinzai medicine. On my last trip he was quite talkative and got to talk and ask many question maybe it was because I was with a very cute Chinese girl this time and not just me and my shaved head wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2007-10-22 04:39:15

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Gishin wrote:

On my last trip he was quite talkative and got to talk and ask many question maybe it was because I was with a very cute Chinese girl this time and not just me and my shaved head wink

Just goes to show that all musicians are the same! You can always get backstage if you have some nice eye candy with you! smile I find it oddly reassuring that the more things change the more they stay the same!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-10-22 08:47:13

nyokai
shihan
Website

Gishin wrote:

From the part of
((Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin: What my teacher taught me about Sanya is, if a komuso is helping a new mother to be with a safe and easy childbirth, the first thing that he does is pour rice through the shakuhachi.))

Is it not Sanan/産安 ? Am I mistaken?  The piece quoted seems to be the wrong one or maybe Sanya is also used in the same fashion.

The folk tradition Ronnie talks of refers to Sanya pieces in general, of which San'an is a modern example. San'an seems to be an improvisational reworking by Watazumi of Jinbo Masanosuke's version (Jinbo Sanya), with the name changed to make the childbirth connection clearer. Ronnie's teacher (Yodo Kurahashi) may not even have known of the existence of San'an.

#5 2007-10-22 09:39:25

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

nyokai wrote:

Gishin wrote:

From the part of

The folk tradition Ronnie talks of refers to Sanya pieces in general, of which San'an is a modern example. San'an seems to be an improvisational reworking by Watazumi of Jinbo Masanosuke's version (Jinbo Sanya), with the name changed to make the childbirth connection clearer. Ronnie's teacher (Yodo Kurahashi) may not even have known of the existence of San'an.

Indeed this is correct this is what I was thinking was meant but the wording used is a bit confusing. It should have been presented as the Sanya group of pieces and not just Sanya as a unique piece.

Thanks for the info!

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#6 2007-10-25 12:26:12

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey guys,

I've only heard of San An being the birthing piece.  We happened to be in Japan both times during my wife's two pregnancies. Kinya played San An for us both times, including the pouring of the rice through the bore. We cooked and ate the rice later on as instructed. The midwives of both deliveries commented on how fast and amazingly easy the births were (my wife disagreed though).

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2007-10-25 18:12:41

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Yokoyama sensei said he played Sanan before every birth and prayed for a boy. He got 4 girls! His wife questioned the whole thing and refused another try.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#8 2007-10-26 16:20:04

Harazda

Well, if I ever go to Myoanji I better take about 5 or 6 pretty ladies so I can get all the info straight away.

#9 2007-10-27 00:35:57

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Harazda wrote:

Well, if I ever go to Myoanji I better take about 5 or 6 pretty ladies so I can get all the info straight away.

Hahaha I actually want to see that see that!

I guess that being a monk the Jushoku of the temple was just trying to take me on a Rinzai ride but I also heard other Shakuhachi teachers say that he can be quite unfriendly for no apparent reasons at times as well.

Last edited by Gishin (2007-11-15 19:00:22)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

Board footer