Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-01 06:21:22

Jean

Oriental Flamenco

Hello,

My other passion with the shakuhachi is the flamenco. By surfing on the net I fell accidentally on an event that took place in October, 2000 at Lefrak Concert Hall at Queens College, New York: " Oriental flamenco ". http://la-oracion.com/event/20001027-1.jpg 

A spectacle of flamenco and shakuhachi with YOSHIO KURAHASHI at shakuhachi and the very popular Japanese dancer of flamenco KUMIKO MAEDA.

Has anyone seen these? Know you if there are recordings or can be a video of this spectacle?

Know you others events of this type, mixing shakuhachi and flamenco?

Jean

#2 2007-10-01 09:31:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Oriental Flamenco

Not flamenco, but last time I was in Oporto I played shakuhachi in a Fado pub. It was a great audience!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-10-01 23:46:40

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jean, Shigeko Suga is a Japanese Flamenco and Butoh dancer. I heard Yukio Tsuji perform shakuhachi in her theatrical works at La Mama E.T.C. in New York City. I know it could be a difficult concept for some, Flamenco and Butoh together, but Shigeko does it all the time. Very experimental...and beautiful.

Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2007-10-27 16:16:27

Antonio Olías
Website

Hello Jean, my name´s Antonio and I´m a shakuhachi player in Spain. I play a bit of flamenco on shakuhachi as I take lessons with the well known flutist and flamenco composer Juan Parrilla as we live in the same city in Madrid.

As a Spaniard I think that shakuhachi fits amazingly well with some of the palos "flamenco rhythms". In the very fast ones as Bulería I don´t like very much as shakuhachi looks a Western flute. I think that according to the nature of the shakuhachi is an instrument that is closer to the voice. In flamenco there´re some free singing styles as Taranta, Martinete, etc... It´s important to know the singing and the text to understand how to do it fater on the shakuhachi.

We did one year ago a successful experiment. We recorded Tientos a flamenco palo that is in 4/4. The instruments recorded are flamenco guitar, double bass, cajón, clapings and shakuhachi. Last Summer meanwhile I was in Japan I was recording a CD and there´re two songs that collaborated Ryotaro Shibata a friend that is flamenco guitar player, so first recordings are available.

One important thing is to learn the scale and how to use and to know when is finishing the palo and usually most of the starting of the palos are off bit.

If you have some questions feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,
Antonio.

#5 2007-10-27 18:42:59

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Antonio,
where can I listen to the CD?
Geni

#6 2007-10-27 19:35:14

Antonio Olías
Website

I´ll upload soon some MP3 on my site and I´ll post in the forum the link.

#7 2007-10-27 21:09:55

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

great!!
Looking forward to hear them.

#8 2007-10-29 10:02:15

Jean

Hola Antonio,

I am very happy to know somebody who makes the link between shakuhachi and flamenco. I also find that the shakuhachi can get married very well to some " palos " of the flamenco. Indeed, it is an instrument close to the voice and he allows inflections and micro intervals as the singing in flamenco. 

Regrettably, I am only a beginner, I begin hardly the study of the first ones honkyoku and my technique does not allow me to dash into the experiment flamenco-shakuhachi. I am delighted to listen your CD. Can one buy it?

I discovered a very good CD of Hozan Yamamoto entitled "Otoño" where he plays flamenco with prestigious Spanish musicians such as Chano Dominguez, Javier Paxariño or the guitarist Nono Garcia and in particular certain tracks  as "Aire de luna " or "Encuentros" very flamenco where the shakuhachi sounds really great, the others tracks are more jazz-flamencos.

In the pleasure to listen your CD.

Jean.

#9 2007-10-29 21:31:47

Antonio Olías
Website

Hola Jean, Geni and Tairaku,

I created a MySpace. It´s not yet finished but at least I could upload some songs of my CD recorded last Summer.

The first track is Encuentros "Encounters" - It´s a bansuri and shakuhachi duet. The bansuri performer is Carlos Guerra a very good Spanish friend living in Kyoto.

The second track is Vientos del Sur "South Wind" - It´s a hang duet performed by Hibiki and Kento, Begoña Castro does flamenco clapings and I use a flamenco scale, but this is fussion, not flamenco.

The third track is Tres Bailes "Three Dances" - The flamenco guitar player is Ryotaro Shibata, he composed two voices for guitar, Begoña Castro does live flamenco dance, and shakuhachi duet a 2.1 and a 2.9.

The fourth track is Para Jun san "For Jun san" - This is a shakuhachi solo. I composed this piece in memory of Jun san. She´s the wife of the person who recorded the CD. When I started on July the recording he told me that his wife had cancer. At least she was improving when I was leaving from Japan. This piece is my praying for her healing. In this piece I combine singing and blowing through the shakuhachi and I used too Mongolian kargyraa throat singing to have three different elements that have a spiritual background in their origin.

The photos that you can on MySpace page are paintings from the well known artist Chiaki Horikoshi. It was a gift to have his art on the CD. The made different paintings for jacket and the booklet.

If you want Jean I can post the CD to you. There´re three songs more, a sitar and shakuhachi duet, a harp duet with kalimba and shakuhachi and Javanese gamelan with shakuhachi.

I forgot one thing. On the other link from my site you can listen other fussions but not flamenco. I´ll upload soon another flamenco song.

I usually sell my CD in my country at the price of 15€ but to shakuhachiforum members I´ll leave to 12€. I don´t know about shipping post to EU and US.

I hope that you enjoy the songs. Thank you.

#10 2007-10-31 05:53:18

Jean

Olé Antonio !

This CD is very inspirational for me... just knowing that there is an artist out there putting together flamenco feeling and shakuhachi.

A beautiful journey, an evocative musical colors that weave through my Andalusian heart. The sound is original and beautiful. The different instruments create a musical ecstasy. Love this particular combination of instruments. I love too the beauty of the Shakuhachi with sensitive support of the guitar accompanist and hands claps.

The compositions are original, something new and expressive. Totally captivating!

The track “Para Jun san” is a music peice of wondrous beauty and mystery, and punctuated with passages of real drama. The rich tones of the shakuhachi and the Mongolian kargyraa throat singing brings a mysterious feeling. Simply wonderful.

I truly enjoyed it.

I think your compositions are superb, and I can't wait to hear more of them. You can also send me the CD. I appreciate the gesture to lower costs to the members of shakuhachiforum. You can contact me directly on my email : jean.huescar@gmail.com.  You can express in Spanish because English for me is a bit laborious.

Jean

#11 2007-10-31 17:54:02

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Congrats Antonio,
Good stuff!
Have you thought to put them in ITunes-CdBaby?In that way is more easy for people to get your music.

Peace
Geni

Board footer