You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Review: Michael Gould's online webcam lessons

#1 2007-06-19 22:36:37

okshak

Review: Michael Gould's online webcam lessons

As I have been taking online lessons from Michael for about 6 months, I thought  I would share some information about the lessons through this Review section.

I have a lesson once a week; each lesson runs close to  1-1/2 hours, give or take... This allows plenty of time for working through music pieces, discussing technique, shakuhachi "philosophy" or whatever comes up. We cannot play together (at least with my setup) because there is a tiny time delay. We do pretty well with M. playing and me echoing when we want to do that. He can listen to my playing and see how I'm playing well enough to provide lots of guidance on technique.

Michael emails printable shakuhachi scores and notes, then supplements these with mailed CDs of the music we are (and will be) working on. These are very very helpful, as well as lovely to listen to. Michael is also available through email in-between lessons for questions.

I have a variety of music to work on: traditional pieces as well as folk songs and lullabies. Of course, we continue to go over the longer more traditional pieces, but having some short lighter music is fun. It's encouraging to be able to learn and play a short folk song or two while working on more challenging pieces. A lot of technique is addressed when working on the music,  but I also receive, as appropriate, a variety of exercises to build technique.

Obviously, I enjoy my lessons and feel that I am making progress in my study. I think Michael provides a great blend of deep knowledge of the instrument and tradition with a relaxed, supportive environment - and he doesn't get testy when my dog barks during a lesson. I hope this gives people an idea of what goes on with this non-traditional type of music study. The technology provides a wonderful opportunity to study with a fine teacher living states away.
Deborah in OK

#2 2007-10-24 11:03:20

Zakarius

Re: Review: Michael Gould's online webcam lessons

I, too, have recently begun working with Gould online and am quite pleased. I've only had 2 lessons thus far but Michael has answered MANY questions by email. I don't have much more to add to Deborah's critique except that the lessons are a great value.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2007-11-05 23:22:48

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Review: Michael Gould's online webcam lessons

Michael rocks!!
I started takeing online lessons with him, and I am VERY happy!
Very recomended!!

Geni

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Review: Michael Gould's online webcam lessons

Board footer