Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-07-18 21:14:15

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Jesus/ Buddha.

A couple of interesting Wiki-isms on Early Christian/Buddhist/Taoist intersections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorianism_in_China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Sutras

Lance wrote:

Wow, lots of study by many of you...  and in the end the answer is? Found within.

Lance, you are quite an optimist.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#27 2008-07-18 21:32:52

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

The Jesus sutra thing is full of CRAP!

Sutra is an indian word that when used in Chinese is associated with the Hanzi/Kanji 經 .

What they have here is just the Chinese as usual when it comes to religious or philosophical books adding the suffix Jing/經 to the Chinese title of what they translated.

So according to their logic and how they presented the Wiki article the Dao De Jing / 道德經 should be called the sutra of the way???

This reflects very poor understanding and usage of the terms they are using or explaining in the article.

The term Jing means classic NOT Sutra. It only means Sutra when talking about a Buddhist text not a Christian text.

The guy who wrote this and submitted it is truly a retard to let such a gross mistake be published.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#28 2008-07-18 21:46:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Gishin wrote:

The guy who wrote this and submitted it is truly a retard to let such a gross mistake be published.

That's the problem with Wikipedia, no quality control or editorial standards.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2008-07-18 22:27:50

Moran from Planet X
Website

Hmmmmmmm. Just because an article is posted on Wikipedia doesn't mean it lacks in quality control or editorial standards either. Pretty broad brush, there, fellas. The Wiki article is skimpy, granted.

"Jesus Sutras" is a contemporary book published by Random House, not a publisher known for publishing without editorial standards. Amazon has rather extensive editorial reviews and some lively customer reviews worth looking at.

Gishin, I think you could have some compelling arguments with the book's author if you read the book and looked him up. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that event.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#30 2008-07-18 22:37:37

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Hmmmmmmm. Just because an article is posted on Wikipedia doesn't mean it lacks in quality control or editorial standards either. Pretty broad brush, there, fellas. The Wiki article is skimpy, granted.

"Jesus Sutras" is a contemporary book published by Random House, not a publisher known for publishing without editorial standards. Amazon has rather extensive editorial reviews and some lively customer reviews worth looking at.

Gishin, I think you could have some compelling arguments with the book's author if you read the book and looked him up. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that event.

Well I dont care much for the book or at that is linked with it or implied in this whole thread.

The fact of the matter IS that the Hanzi/Kanji  Jing/經 Means Classic not Sutra

When using the term Jing/經 when talking about Buddhism then we talk about a Sutra.

When it is referring to Taoism Christianity etc then we are refferring to a Classic. Thats all.

It remains a very bad mistake that will mislead most reasders  that do not have those basic knowledge and can only cause useless confusion.

We need to be clear about stuff like this and my point stands that whoever let this one pass by is a retard.

Last edited by Gishin (2008-07-18 22:38:35)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#31 2008-07-19 01:16:27

Moran from Planet X
Website

Well, I suppose you have the last word. wink

#32 2008-07-19 02:55:24

Zakarius

Gishin wrote:

The Jesus sutra thing is full of CRAP!

Sutra is an indian word that when used in Chinese is associated with the Hanzi/Kanji 經 .

What they have here is just the Chinese as usual when it comes to religious or philosophical books adding the suffix Jing/經 to the Chinese title of what they translated.

In Chinese, the Bible is referred to as 聖經 ('sheng jing'). As the word 'sutra' can be more readily accepted into English as a loanword compared to 'jing', it's understandable why the term 'sutra' was used on that page. I little strange, I admit, but understandable.

Gishin wrote:

So according to their logic and how they presented the Wiki article the Dao De Jing / 道德經 should be called the sutra of the way???

I don't think people usually try to 'translate' the title of the Dao De Jing into English -- in fact, you'll note that most references to it in English use a spelling (Tao Te Ching) very far removed from it's pronunciation.

Gishin wrote:

The term Jing means classic NOT Sutra. It only means Sutra when talking about a Buddhist text not a Christian text.

Out of curiosity, how would you translate 'sutra' into English?

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#33 2008-07-19 03:28:45

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Zakarius wrote:

In Chinese, the Bible is referred to as 聖經 ('sheng jing'). As the word 'sutra' can be more readily accepted into English as a loanword compared to 'jing', it's understandable why the term 'sutra' was used on that page. I little strange, I admit, but understandable.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

Why understandable? Does it make it acceptable? Not pissed at you here at all just but I feel the book on the subject and the wiki article were very cleverly put up with the word Sutra as a wise marketing scheme.

Sutra= A teaching or Text thats all.

What is so freaking hard to understand and why try to waste time and keyboard time discussing the issue. THE POINT IS  THEIR USAGE OF THE SUTRA IS WRONG AND INNACURATE. Sutra is for Buddhist/Indian scriptures. I suspect that they used Sutra just to atract the asttention of people in general but in the end IT IS WRONG.

Thanks for you Bible reference I had forgotten that one.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#34 2008-07-19 04:51:08

rpowers

Don't you think it's time to pull one of those bottles out of the freezer and chill out?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#35 2008-07-19 06:44:34

fouw

Hey what's this, all of a sudden ex Beatles' scripture?

Gimme back WAYNE [the train] Hancock- Thunderstorms & Neon Signs Mantra

#36 2008-07-19 06:59:01

Kerry

'It's been a hard day's night - get back Jojo!'wink

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#37 2008-07-19 08:04:47

brooster

Does this mean that John Lennon is more popular than Buddha?

Let it be...

This is a weird forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep typing in Buddh* (I have to put an asterisk there for you to see what I am trying to type) and it changes to Butthead when I post.
All the other posts in this entire forum with the words Chris* and Buddh* are changing also.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by brooster (2008-07-19 09:21:15)

#38 2008-07-19 08:12:04

brooster

The thread is now called "Index » Random Zen, Religion and Philosophy » Beavis/ Butthead."
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WEIRD!!!

#39 2008-07-19 08:19:29

brooster

It's Santa Claus/ The Tooth Fairy now.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#40 2008-07-19 08:40:28

brooster

It's now "Dean Martin/ Jerry Lewis."

#41 2008-07-19 08:43:55

brooster

"Sacco/ Jerry Lewis."

#42 2008-07-19 08:45:17

brooster

"Sacco/ Vanzetti."

#43 2008-07-19 09:18:51

brooster

"Hitler/ Mussolini."

#44 2008-07-19 09:37:10

brooster

Back to "Jesus/ Buddha."!!!

#45 2008-07-19 12:04:41

Moran from Planet X
Website

Gishin wrote:

...as a wise marketing scheme.

What religions do not use "marketing schemes"?

#46 2008-07-19 12:13:13

Lorka

Mine doesn't, but if you want to know more please send me $19.95 plus shipping and handling. 

For $26.99 you can recieve the full enlightenment package, with a remarkable savings of over $100 in bonus materials!!!!!

Get your Lorka sutra today.  Call in the next half hour for a 30% discount.   Don't miss out on this amazing offer

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#47 2008-07-19 12:32:20

Jim Thompson

Lorka wrote:

Mine doesn't, but if you want to know more please send me $19.95 plus shipping and handling. 

For $26.99 you can recieve the full enlightenment package, with a remarkable savings of over $100 in bonus materials!!!!!

Get your Lorka sutra today.  Call in the next half hour for a 30% discount.   Don't miss out on this amazing offer

Lorka,
       Do I have to be subjugated to be educated or are you one of the kinder ones who only want money?

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#48 2008-07-19 12:55:56

Lorka

I offer both.  For a fee

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#49 2008-07-19 13:36:16

Jim Thompson

Lorka wrote:

I offer both.  For a fee

Thanks. I'll consider the offer. It's just that there are sooo many choices!

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#50 2008-07-19 14:12:38

Yooper

When do you have the end of the world scheduled?

(I admit it's shallow of me, but it's something I like to take into account when shopping for religions.)

"Simple and artless."

Board footer