Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-23 14:17:23

jaybeemusic

Most common note combinations?

Hey everyone....

I've been listening to a LOT of honkyoku lately and i've noticed that there seem to be certain combintations of intervals/notes
that are played more often than others. 

such as Ha Ro, or Tsu Re....

is there a (somewhat) complete list of "must know" intervals that pop up a lot in traditional music?

I'm practicing Ha Ro quite a lot and find that isolating that inverval alone has worked well. 

I know, i know, ideally in a perfect world we should practice them all..... but how about a short list of "uber important intervals"

thanks in advance.

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#2 2008-07-23 14:37:28

lowonthetotem
Website

Re: Most common note combinations?

I am pretty new to Honkyoku, so I don't have a list for you.  However, I have been doing the same thing for some of the combinations in Kyorei and noticed some improvement as well.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#3 2008-07-23 14:54:55

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

in kan, chi meru to hi and otsu u to ri. in kan ha ni-yon-go (2.4.5) to ah, and ah to hi. otsu or kan tsu meru to ro is common. also in kan chi meru to u comes to mind. u san (kan) to chi. hi meru to chi. otsu u dai-meru to tsu meru. you can reverse a lot of these to.

My site flutedojo - jinashi shakuhachi bamboo flute maker.

#4 2008-07-23 16:23:23

marek
Website

Hi,

I think I have heard about a an academic article which talks about all the elements(or phrases) that exist in the honkyoku. I tried to find it but so far with no success. Can anyone help?
The whole of honkyoku seems to be pretty much like an asamblage of a set of beads on a string. The set remains the same, yet the order changes. My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#5 2008-07-23 20:19:56

gmiller

Carl Abbott's "Blowing Zen" has a list of common Hon Kyoku phrases (pgs. B25 - B26).......

Board footer