Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-24 21:51:55

ray ruhlen

instructors in Puget Sound

Unfortunately our great teacher, Peter Hill has moved to Japan for an undetermined time. Some of us here have taken lessons from him for some time, myself for about 7 months.
Recently I found J "Pepe"  Danza's biography in the Shakuhachi forum. Last weekend there was a Flute Quest locally, with a goodly number of Shakuhachi players. He visited the Quest on Sunday, having come from his home in British Columbia for a drumming workshop, and I had the opportunity for a short lesson with him Monday morning. He is a very knowledgable and capable teacher, though not at all like Peter, not at all committed to Honkyoku but into all sorts of music. He comes once a month to the Puget Sound area for drumming workshops, his next is in November around the 16th. He said he would be glad to have a workshop here for all interested Shakuhachi players, and also he said maybe some of us could get together and come up to Vancouver to his studio for a workshop or go there for individual lessons.
I dont know many of Peter's students, a few but only by first name, but if you read this and are interested, contact me and we can see what we could put together.  You can call me with your e-mail address if you dont want to post it in the forum.
Ray Ruhlen
(206)782-2967

#2 2008-09-25 12:58:51

Larry Tyrrell
Website

Re: instructors in Puget Sound

Hi Ray,

I saw your posting and wanted to let you know that I teach
in Seattle every two weeks (next on the 28th) and would be
happy to meet you or talk to you on the phone about shakuhachi
lessons.  I've studied with Kohachiro Miyata and Katsuya Yokoyama,
have been playing 27 years and teaching for about 23.  I teach