Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-27 16:35:03

Seth

Beans....

A few months back Jon Singer posted about how his routine of swimming helped alleviate his rsi pain in his hands.

I also have an ongoing rsi issue, but only partially from shakuhachi.  The main source of my pain is typing 300+ emails a day for work.

So I was very intrigued by Jon's swim therapy but I don't have the free time to go to a pool twice a week.  But I always suspected that there must be some exercise that could simulate the benefits of swimming without the time commiment of travel back and forth to a gym. 

I know lots of people use stretches and tai chi movements, but these never seemed to prevent the pain I would feel in my wrists after a full day of typing - and that would prevent me from practising for a full hour in the evening.

And then a couple of weeks I discovered this link:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~htctc/lecture_rsi.html#anc3

In this link a Tai Chi instructor describes some stretches, nothing new, and then also a practice of jabbing and twirling one's hand in a large bucket of beans.    And this seems to emulate the benefit one gets from swimming.

I have been trying it for a few days so far, and, yeah, so far so good.   A bit surprising, but very convienant and easy to do.  And it really feels great.  My hand and wrist feel all tingly and warm afterwards.

We'll see if this makes a substantial difference in the longterm.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~htctc/lecture_rsi.html#anc3

#2 2009-03-27 16:43:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Beans....

What kind of beans?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-03-27 16:52:11

Taldaran

Get a Dyna flex/powerball.

They are cheap and work wonders!

They not only help hands and wrists, but also help if you have rotator cuff problems. I keep one in my guitar case or gig bag and use it to warm up before every show.

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-03-27 16:52:49)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#4 2009-03-27 19:47:53

indigo

Read once that baseball pitchers use this technique to maintain their arms with buckets of rice.  Think it was an article on Nolan Ryan where I encountered this information.

#5 2009-03-27 22:20:47

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

What kind of beans?

Not sure.  I think I am actually using lentils.   I think lots of any small little nugget type of thing would work.

Taldaran:  I've got a powerball... it helps, but my sensation from this is really quite amazing.  But still dont know how this will impact in the longterm.

Indigo:  Yeah, I'm sure rice would work too.    I'm now going to see if I can find a story about pitchers and rice on google.

#6 2009-03-27 22:32:13

Seth

indigo wrote:

Read once that baseball pitchers use this technique to maintain their arms with buckets of rice.  Think it was an article on Nolan Ryan where I encountered this information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG7AJgRsPXk

Apparently its a well known exercise for baseball players.  Huh.

#7 2009-03-28 11:11:03

indigo

thanks Seth for posting this info on beans and hand care
looks like I will join you in this experiment
gripping stress is apparent these days
trying to move the fingers fast in Gaikyoku is a challenge
so a 5 gallon joint compound bucket of maybe aduki beans will join my shop

thanks again

#8 2009-04-02 12:36:51

lowonthetotem
Website

They not only help hands and wrists, but also help if you have rotator cuff problems.

The muscle that stabilizes the rotator cuff the most is the posterior deltoid.  Nothing that you do with your hand/arm constantly in front of you will develop this muscle.  I am not sure how this gadget would help the rotator cuff, although it is well known in physical therapy circles to aid in wrist and finger issues.  It is used in a very similar manner to the beans, which are a decidely low-tech/inexpensive alternative.  As for their ability to releive RSI issues, that really depends on what is causing the RSI.  There are several conditions that would fall under that category.  If you are talking about hand and finger issues, I would stick with the twirling and avoid the jabbing.  In short, the R in RSI is "repetitive," so anything that you do to break the repition is good.  Masterbation comes to mind, but that brings up an whole new set of issues.  If Guantanimo Bay has taught us nothing else, the benefits of roughing up the suspect are spurious at best. wink

For rotator cuff exercises try these ...

http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2004/exe … tation.htm

External rotation of the shoulder isolates the posterior deltiod like no other exercise.  For therapy, keep the elbow below the shoulder.  For sport training raise it to shoulder level.  I prefer rubber bands to dumbbells for this exercise as the resistence builds as the band is stretched.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer