Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-22 21:44:51

bluespiderweb

What tuner do you like to tune your flutes?

Hi all,

I was wondering what the flutemakers on the forum use to tune their flutes with-I have heard many recommendations for some cheaper tuners, but not from Shakuhachi makers yet-so what do you like-brand and model that works well?

Thanks!

Last edited by bluespiderweb (2006-03-22 21:45:14)

Be well,  Barry

#2 2006-03-22 22:53:11

Travis Winegar
Website

Re: What tuner do you like to tune your flutes?

I'm not sure if you have access to a computer while you're in the tuning process, but if so, you can find a link to a great tuner program in this thread:   http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=184

"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw." – Shunryu Suzuki

Shakuhachi Search Engine

#3 2006-03-22 23:04:43

bluespiderweb

Hi Travis,

Yes, I already have a few tuners on software-this one too, but I would like to find a portable tuner that works well too.

Thanks for the reply.

Be well,  Barry

#4 2006-03-23 00:45:50

Karmajampa
Website

I am not using a tuner as yet, as I am making my flutes to whatever suits the culm length, but I think I read that a xylophone can do teh job. Good idea not having to rely on electricity.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

#5 2006-03-23 16:29:13

bluespiderweb

Karmajampa wrote:

I am not using a tuner as yet, as I am making my flutes to whatever suits the culm length, but I think I read that a xylophone can do teh job. Good idea not having to rely on electricity.

Kel    §

Yes, a Xylophone!  But, would it have to be made of bamboo!?!  ; )

Be well,  Barry

#6 2006-03-23 18:50:03

kyoreiflutes
Website

That's a pretty expensive tuner, and you'd want to use a tuner to make sure a xylophone was in tune...well, if it were wood or bamboo, like a marimba or some such thing. Interesting idea, but I think we're looking for portability here? That's what I was reading into it, at least.

I'd go to Musician's Friend.com and look at thier tuners. There are also tuners available through high-end guitar luthiers, who tend to like tuners that work better with acoustic instruments.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#7 2006-03-23 20:50:21

dstone
Website

Thinking portability and price...  If you can work from a precise reference pitch (as opposed to needing something to hear your pitch and analyze it), then a couple more choices might be:

1) a set of tuning forks (they'll last forever with care and consume no power)

2) a PDA (an old used Palm can be found for very cheap and there are free programs that will play scales and individual pitches of arbitrary Hz)

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#8 2006-03-23 21:53:22

Karmajampa
Website

Actually it was Monty Levenson I read uses a xylophone, and I don't think they need to be very big. but you would need to trust your own ear, if you don't then an electronic tuner would be required along with a microphone, perhaps buit-in.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

#9 2006-03-24 01:07:32

bluespiderweb

I was kidding about the bamboo Xylohone, but I see you were serious about it, Kel!

If Monty uses one-then I'm sure what I was thinking of would be fine-the portable chromatic batter powered tuner for $20 to $30 like a Korg CA-30.  I thought maybe a guitar/bass tuner might recognize the lower tones better, though.

I also wondered if a digital would be better-there are a few options out there.  It's probably not that critical, as long as you know your meter or whatever you use is calibrated correctly.

It would be nice to hear what the experienced flutemakers who do it for a living use, but they are probably busy making flutes!

And if some of those same flutemakers would comment about your post in this section, Darren, about making the large shakuhachi, and which way to orient it, I would certainly like to have their opinions and suggestions too.

Be well,  Barry

#10 2006-03-28 00:05:43

johnstrr

I have a Korg CA-30, http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORCA30, works good, picks up the notes pretty easily and you can adjust the Hz. I bought it for guitar but it has transitioned nicely into flute.

In La'kech

#11 2006-04-04 23:17:42

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

I've settled nicely into a 'Boss Digital Chromatic Tuner - TU-12H.'

Ken

#12 2006-05-15 18:38:11

evan kubota

I have the GT-12 which is a Korg chromatic tuner. It has an analog needle and digital lights (too sharp, too flat, right on). The scale is gradated with cents from +-10 to +-500. It can check a 1/4" input or from the built-in mic. I think it was around $90 a few years ago. This has served all of my musical tuning needs.

I used an oscilloscope program on my computer before but I think for critical work a separate commercially-bought tuner is better.

#13 2006-06-11 13:21:06

Toffe

If you use the music program Band in a Box, it comes with an awsome tuner. It's a chromatic tuner that you can tune your shakuhachi with through the mic. There is also a function where you can play notes and change them by hz and cents.

For example... If you find that your root note (Ro?) is somewhere between C and C#. Like C +17 cents. You can set the tuner to +17 cents to be able to tune all the holes well within the flute itself. Look it up... it's just a small program but I don't know if it's available as a stand-alone software outside of Band in a Box. The program itself is a stand-alone, but I don't think it distributed outside BIAB.

Board footer