Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-05-18 21:14:13

jaybeemusic

Jinashi with a smooth bore...

Hi there,

I've been watching the "other" heated discussion and i noticed that there was some mention of "smooth bore jinashi flutes".

i've been experimenting with these and i found that they sound "very much" like jiari flutes.   I worked the bore using gauges and very fine (2000 grit) sandpaper and the inside looks like glass.  super smooth.  I have finished them off with a black laquer and i must say that they require A LOT more work than a jinashi flute.....and i didn't really like the tone.   it sounds really really close to a jiari....besides....FWIW i don't really like the tone of jiari flutes anyway. 

It was a fun experiment and i learned a lot but i agree with Justin....it seems to me more of a novelty thing......it's kinda like taking a ton of time to paint a fantastic picture just to say "it looks just like a photgraph"........why not just take a photo.   it's faster and easier and you get the same results.

has anybody else gone down this dead end street?

jacques

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2009-05-18 21:15:44)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#2 2009-05-19 10:53:21

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Jinashi with a smooth bore...

jaybeemusic wrote:

has anybody else gone down this dead end street?

jacques

Jacques,

I've experimented with this when the bamboo was shaped in a way to make it practical. For example, thicker walled bamboo worked best for conventional bore specs as well as for slightly wider bores.

For me, one difficulty was finding bamboo that cooperated enough to make it possible.

Another difficulty I found was that shaping bamboo to precise specs by subtraction only is more difficult than shaping added ji paste. It can be done, but it can be problematic.

I can understand the appeal of this way of working for those who want to stay away from urushi or added chemicals. There is also the draw of the challenge of finding a piece that works then completing the labor. It is refreshing to work in a different way when the opportunity presents itself. However, I find the more conventional methods of jinashi and jiari construction are more efficient and more functional.

Ken

#3 2009-05-19 12:11:22

Taldaran

Re: Jinashi with a smooth bore...

Two longer jinashi I made last month I experimented and sanded the bore totally smooth, (had to make more than one just as a control measure) and I also found I didn’t care for the tone that much either… It was brighter and a bit more penetrating, but how do I describe it- thin? It lacked that warmth of the other ones I had made.

I won’t do that again any time soon.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

Board footer