Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-06-01 10:11:29

lowonthetotem
Website

Your worst gaffs

Sometimes, on Sundays, I'll meet with my Sangha for meditation and a Dharma lesson from our teacher or another order of Interbeing Initiate, although I have not been for a while.

After I'd been playing ("playing with" really) the shakuhachi for a few months, I would bring it along with me and play for as people came into the meditation hall and got situated.  I always played the same thing, Kyorei, because it was simple and easy enough to get through and had lots of places where you could stop before the end without being too obtrusive so the bell could be invited on time.

After taking my flute with me on a retreat and hearing everyone's kind words about how my playing had improved, one Sunday I decided to try something a little more "song-like."  So, I decided I would play Tsuki.  I arrived early and sat behind the meditation hall and  practiced.  I played it perfectly start to finish, at least by my own estimiation.  I am sure that long time players would have heard some mistakes or off-tones, but it was good enough for those less familiar with shakuhachi.

Anyway, I went in and took a seat.  Put my lips to the utaguchi and ... nothing but a dry whisper of sound.  I could feel my face turning red and sweat began to pour from my arm pits.  I tried to gather myself and start over.  This time notes came out, but in Otsu.  Tsuki begins in Kan, so the notes were not strictly Otsu, but a jarring mix of Kan and Otsu that was not pleasing to the ear, like a muraiki or similar technique.  It went on like that through the first and second column.  Now sweat was pouring from my forehead.  I could tell I was soooo red in the face.  It was really sounding horrid, so I just skipped ahead to a section that was in Otsu.  Finally, I just broke away from Tsuki and began playing old, boring Kyorei.  I was so crest-fallen.  It was a jarring experience and sounded similar to slaughtering geese, I imagine.  Although, I am not sure that people really noticed, considering the lack of familiarity with Japanese music.  I am guessing some of them thought I played it perfectly.

Anyway, I have only gone back to meet with my group once or twice since then, and I left the flute at home.  I am considering going back, with the flute, soon (working with Chikuzen has really moved me along over the last six months).  I have heard of other renowned players goofing up on stage, but I wondered if anyone here wanted to share their experience here.  Specifically, I wonder what is the best way to deal with obvious mistakes and poor playing in front of an audience.  After my flub, and after the meditation and Dharma talk was complete, I could not stop saying, "Wow, that was sooo bad.  I'm sorry I messed it up so completely," and the like.  I am guessing this is not the best way to deal with it.

As you may discern, I am not so comfortable performing with or in front of others.  My meditation group are nice folks and it is a small group, so I am trying to use it as a way to get more comfortable with it all.  I think I posted a similar thread to this quite a while ago, so I am sorry if this is redundant and feel free to take whatever measures necessary to reduce redundancy on the forum.  And, I enjoy Kyorei, but after it being the only thing I could play for several months, I really wanted to stretch my wings a little, hence the "boring" comment.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#2 2009-06-01 10:30:26

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Your worst gaffs

Never, EVER apologize for your playing, execrable though it may've been. It was what it was, and nothing's gonna change that.

You may grumble about it to a close confidant (such as your teacher, but not your wife), but that's it.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-06-01 11:02:54

Vevolis
Website

I have a lot of practicing on Shakuhachi to do before I'd consider playing in front of anyone but I’ve had similar experiences on other instruments. There’s a Kiwanis music festival here in Ontario. When I was in high school, my teachers suggested I enter the solo competition in addition to our ensemble groups. I chose “In the Hall of the Mountain King” which is particularly difficult given the instrument. I practiced and practiced. On the day of the concert, I started playing in the back in front of many people, though no judges; but started to freeze up. When they called my name, I shuffled out the back door, embarrassed.

There’s an eternity of missed opportunities out there. You’ll only get a chance to perform a finite number of times and your audience will only get to hear you so many times.

Unfortunately, the Shakuhachi is like an old car, sometimes it’ll start perfectly; sometimes it will stall with no warning, especially to people like me. You’ll be sitting in the middle of an intersection with people staring at you impatiently. When you’re more and more familiar with the instrument (or car) you’ll know how to jumpstart it seamlessly and continue.

The reason you should not be afraid to continue practicing and performing is that like a car, there is a need to be driven. You want to go somewhere, share something. Never be ashamed or embarrassed of this pursuit, especially as you are learning.

Just don’t adhere to Trent Reznor’s advise: “When an instrument fails on stage it mocks you and must be destroyed”.

#4 2009-06-01 15:54:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Low, do not worry about it, everybody has had that experience. I've had it more than once even after becoming a good player. It's part of the process. Just keep going. The solution is to know you can play it properly and visualize that happening. And Ed is correct never apologize for your playing. The listeners tend to accept whatever you do. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection. But suppose somebody enjoyed what you did, and then you apologize. It makes them feel stupid for enjoying it. That's why it's best not to say anything negative. This is a very basic rule of performance, but it's surprising how there are a lot of seasoned professionals who make this mistake. It's a bigger mistake actually than the bad playing. If anybody compliments you always say "Thank you" and never say, "That wasn't very good." The exception is if you're having a peer to peer discussion like the one here where we're trying to work out how to deal with it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-06-01 16:27:12

Taldaran

Very well put Brian!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#6 2009-06-01 16:36:22

Lorka

lowonthetotem,

I got a similar praise of improvement when I played something more "song-like".  It seemed weired to me, as I was just puttering about.  It's funny what people latch onto and comment on as pleasing.  My comment, however, relates to Kyorei....

It is neither boring, nor simple.  It just seems that way. 

You might want to try playing the old komuso version of kyorei.  This is one I am studying with Al Ramos.  It uses a kind of buki (that I can't remember the name of), which emulates the striking of the bell.  So, in practical terms, you have a powerful strike followed by a long drawn out golden decay that bleeds into silence before the next bell strike.  The older version of Kyorei also does not use any half holing.  You just move your head to get the right note.  It is kind of fun like this. 

They also add in some Ro notes on occasion before the typical Tsu --> Tsu-Re --> U-U-Meri.  I'm not sure, but these added Ro's that Al throws in seem optional.  I like to sprinkle them in only occasionally in the piece. 

Anyways, if you stick with Kyorei, while it is true that there are fewer fancy parts to show off with and impress the impressionable, you will nevertheless capture them with expressions of tone that those long decaying notes can produce.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#7 2009-06-01 20:10:00

Lodro

Blimey the amount of times I've stuffed up on stage are numerous, ranging from stopping completely and walking off stage (to an audience of a couple of hundred) to buggering a piece up so badly that it would have been unrecognisable. The good performances make up for the bad. Completely! It does happen to ALL of us, and I would go so far as to say that the lesson(s) one learns from such an experience are invaluable in terms of your own self confidence. Just one of the positive things that can come out of this is that over time you learn to deal with the situation that is happening at the time and to move it around so that your 'mistakes' are dealt with in a musical and professional manner. Essentially you 'use' what is occcurring at any given moment to complement, or even enhance your performance. For me the big lesson in this is that it teaches you to be 'on the ball', don't lose your cool, and then eventually enjoy 'all possibilities'.

Don't be put off! You've actually gained something rather than lost something.

smile

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#8 2009-06-01 21:21:30

nyokai
shihan
Website

The other thing to learn from it, I think, is to study a long time before playing for an audience. I think many shakuhachi students perform WAY early (not to mention making CDs way early). I was guilty of this myself at the beginning. I think seven or eight years is a reasonable amount of serious study time before playing out at anything other than a student concert. Well, the traditional music at least. Otherwise, besides having technical problems, you may inadvertently be giving the shakuhachi a bad name!

How many would do a public performance on violin after playing for just two or three years? Unless you're one of the greatest of all prodigies (and there are very few "adult prodigies") you would consider yourself a beginning student. Same with piano, or any challenging instrument. Why should shakuhachi, which in terms of understanding the traditional music is even harder, be so different?

Patience is one of the greatest lessons shakuhachi can teach.

However, I agree with those who said "never apologize." What's done is done, it can't be changed, time to move on and improve.

#9 2009-06-02 13:35:01

lowonthetotem
Website

But suppose somebody enjoyed what you did, and then you apologize. It makes them feel stupid for enjoying it.

You know I never thought of that.

I hear what you are saying Phil, however, I also think that preparing to perform can push me to really "pointing up" my playing.  I think it provides an impetus to improve and perfect my repetoir.  Don't worry, I refer to my teacher constantly, and I don't do much, shakuhachi-wise, without his approval.  I recently mentioned that I was thinking of playing at some local sushi restaurants (the prospect of which scares the pants off me), and he suggested recording songs before performing them.  That was a great suggestion as it has highlighted areas for improvement.  I have about a dozen songs, some traditional, some more modern, that I am ironing out.

Tonight, I am going over a friend's house to play some more modern pieces with a group of guys that usually play Irish music.  This is as stressful to me as anything in front of an audience.  They are all much more accomplished musicians than I am.  I think it will still be a few more months before I will be contacting the sushi places.  My plan is to play for food, considering my student status.

I think patience is a powerful lesson, for sure.  However, learning to get over myself and my own fears is also a worthy pursuit in my opinion.  I have always been afraid of standing up in front of people and speaking or performing in any manner.  I think there is just as much pride in this fear as there is in actually wanting to be noticed through performance.  People just come at things from different perspectives.  Like Vevolis, I tend to see my playing as an offering more than anything else.  I just have to accept that my offering may be rather humble at this time.  And like I said, I am not planning on doing anything, outside of playing for family and friends, until I get the green light from my teacher.

#10 2009-06-02 15:25:58

nyokai
shihan
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I also think that preparing to perform can push me to really "pointing up" my playing.  I think it provides an impetus to improve and perfect my repetoir... 

...learning to get over myself and my own fears is also a worthy pursuit in my opinion.

This is why student concerts exist: they provide an opportunity to challenge oneself with the performing experience without subjecting an audience to possible misinterpretations of the level of expertise being presented. I might like to get over my fear of performing surgery, but that is not a good enough reason to inflict myself, steak knife in hand, on strangers. I know quite a few people who hate shakuhachi as a result of hearing performances that should never have happened!

(Even if you say to an audience "I'm just a student," they'll never understand how great the gap is between what beginner shakuhachi sounds like and what master shakuhachi sounds like. In our culture, doing a performance at ALL generally implies a minimum level of competence -- being in tune, getting techniques right, somewhat accurately representing the traditional literature, etc. I think people reach this point in about 7 or 8 years on shakuhachi, even if it's attainable earlier on some instruments.)

If, as a student, you want to present the gift of shakuhachi to a new audience, shakuhachi in and for itself rather than for your own purposes such as getting over stage-fright, I think there are a number of better ways to do it. First and foremost is sponsoring your teacher to perform. Or better yet, to get some practice yourself, sponsor a concert by your teacher in which several students perform for a short while at the beginning. In this case there is no danger of misrepresenting the sound of traditional shakuhachi music. Or if not your teacher, sponsor other professional players. Or do a lecture and show some videos or play some recordings of great shakuhachi masters. Or bring shakuhachi recordings to yoga classes. There are many possibilities.

Last edited by nyokai (2009-06-02 15:50:20)

#11 2009-06-02 16:26:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nyokai wrote:

lowonthetotem wrote:

I also think that preparing to perform can push me to really "pointing up" my playing.  I think it provides an impetus to improve and perfect my repetoir... 

...learning to get over myself and my own fears is also a worthy pursuit in my opinion.

This is why student concerts exist: they provide an opportunity to challenge oneself with the performing experience without subjecting an audience to possible misinterpretations of the level of expertise being presented. I might like to get over my fear of performing surgery, but that is not a good enough reason to inflict myself, steak knife in hand, on strangers. I know quite a few people who hate shakuhachi as a result of hearing performances that should never have happened!

s.

A lot of people hate shakuhachi as a result of listening to performances and recordings by well trained players with good technique. cool

#12 2009-06-02 16:28:10

nyokai
shihan
Website

Tairaku wrote:

A lot of people hate shakuhachi as a result of listening to performances and recordings by well trained players with good technique. cool

Ha, true enough!

#13 2009-06-03 05:19:31

Lodro

Personally I'm all for throwing yourself in and playing live as much as possible right from an early stage - I guess preferably at informal gatherings to start with and work your way up. But this of course all depends on ones level of confidence.

(press Lu 1 - Zhong Fu - Letting Go - to boost confidence first)
(I think I'd better stop with the acupoint thing, it seems to give me an answer to everything) wink

#14 2009-06-03 09:24:33

lowonthetotem
Website

http://www.acuxo.com/meridianPictures.a … idian=Lung

I guess preferably at informal gatherings to start with and work your way up.

I feel like there is a difference between playing for friends like my meditation group or folks while they eat sushi is a littel different than performing in a concert, student concert or otherwise.  In these more informal venues, the focus is not the performer.  That is one of the reasons why it is more attractive to me at this stage of the game.

#15 2009-06-03 19:30:09

Lodro

lowonthetotem wrote:

http://www.acuxo.com/meridianPictures.asp?point=LU1&meridian=Lung

Good site, hadn't seen this one before, thanks.

#16 2009-06-03 19:50:41

Lodro

Once a year I used to put together an informal gig for my students (kids & adults together) so that they could just play in an informal environment where people aren't going to judge them. They know it's just for fun and learning and the 'informal' audience knows that too. No one stressed too much, and if people made mistakes (as people do) everything was still cool.

I think the 'community musician' is really important, different and yet as equal as the formal performance dude. And who says you have to be a performance 'hero' to perform? A lot of the bands/musicians I like wouldn't exist if this were the case. It's often called Folk Music, because it's music for the folk. Important I think.

#17 2009-06-03 20:34:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Playing and performing are very good ways of improving, not least out of fear of sounding bad in public. I can see both sides of this coin. If I went into a sushi bar and heard atrocious shakuhachi playing (or god forbid, sitar)I would probably leave. I have left places where there was bad unnecessary music going on. I like busking as a means of improving because the people can listen if they want and walk on if they don't like it.

I will say it takes a lot longer to get good if you don't perform. Phil, remember guys like me and you have previous performance experience on other instruments so there are many things about performance we didn't have to learn while a shakuhachi was jammed in our mouth. Some people here are starting with shakuhachi as their first instrument and won't learn how to perform unless they get that experience. I say perform but try not to put yourself in unsuitable situations.

#18 2009-06-04 19:37:45

ssakamoto
Website

Tairaku wrote:

If anybody compliments you always say "Thank you" and never say, "That wasn't very good." The exception is if you're having a peer to peer discussion like the one here where we're trying to work out how to deal with it.

This is a point I go over in my English classes. In Japan, it is polite to deny any compliment. If you tell someone their child is smart, they will swear up and down that it's not true. To accept a compliment is to appear arrogant. In the US, it's as Tairaku says, it's rude to deny a compliment. It implies that the person doesn't know what they're talking about. In both cases, the intent is to be modest, but we come at it from opposite angles.

I never thought of this in terms of my own playing, thanks for the interesting discussion.

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

Board footer