Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Chin flute placement and playing large flutes

#1 2009-02-11 04:30:52

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Chin flute placement and playing large flutes

Hello, I have two larger flutes (2.4 and 2.55). The larger has a smaller blowing end and I can place the flute comfortably in my chin rounding/ cavity (just like a 1.8.) It rest in the middle between the chin and lips. The other flute though has a larger width, so when I play that one I have to place it lower on mij chin. Is that correct? For me it plays a lot harder, that place is not so fixed and it is easier to move the flute about. Also the flute has less contact to my skin, which is strange or unfamiliar. Only a small portion rests on the chin, while with my 1.8. my lower lip touches the flute more (like sealing it a bit more). I reckon that with even wider bore flutes the placement is even lower on the chin, right? like with a taimu.
I really like the bigger flutes, but this makes it harder to play them for me.
Are your experiences similar and did you overcome them?

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#2 2009-02-11 09:07:07

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Chin flute placement and playing large flutes

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Hello, I have two larger flutes (2.4 and 2.55). The larger has a smaller blowing end and I can place the flute comfortably in my chin rounding/ cavity (just like a 1.8.) It rest in the middle between the chin and lips. The other flute though has a larger width, so when I play that one I have to place it lower on mij chin. Is that correct? For me it plays a lot harder, that place is not so fixed and it is easier to move the flute about. Also the flute has less contact to my skin, which is strange or unfamiliar. Only a small portion rests on the chin, while with my 1.8. my lower lip touches the flute more (like sealing it a bit more). I reckon that with even wider bore flutes the placement is even lower on the chin, right? like with a taimu.
I really like the bigger flutes, but this makes it harder to play them for me.
Are your experiences similar and did you overcome them?

Reading all of the posts on this page will probably be helpful:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 885#p12885

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-02-11 14:30:40

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Thanks Edosan, I remember reading that thread sometime before, maybe it'll answer my questions!

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#4 2009-02-11 16:10:43

edosan
Edomologist

edosan wrote:

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

. Also the flute has less contact to my skin, which is strange or unfamiliar. Only a small portion rests on the chin, while with my 1.8. my lower lip touches the flute more (like sealing it a bit more). I reckon that with even wider bore flutes the placement is even lower on the chin, right? like with a taimu.

One thing to pay attention to: the diameter of the blowing end should be close to 2 centimeters right at the mouthpiece, even though the bore is bigger than that—in order to get a good seal when blowing. This is often accomplished by an 'ikigaeshi' (breath return), which reduces the diameter of the mouthpiece, and, if it done using the natural wall of the bamboo node, looks something like this:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/571/26ikigaeshinu2.jpg

Sometimes, that's not available, and the ikigaeshi needs to be fabricated, as shown here:

http://mujitsu.com/images/13007IMG_0801.jpg

[One of mujitsu's Taimu, from another post]

Last edited by edosan (2009-02-11 16:11:49)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-02-11 16:59:28

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Nice pictures to show that! The diameter on my flute 2.4 is 2cm to 2.1cm, so that should be ok.
I'll try the tips Kiku Day posted in the other thread about placing and blowing a larger flute. My 'feeling' is that the angle and distance on which the air hits the edge is somewhat different then on my other flutes.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#6 2009-03-03 20:13:18

Taldaran

I have had to take a file and sandpaper to the mouthpiece to give me more relief angle on the chin area of a big bore flute I purchased off the bay. It is much easier to play now.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#7 2009-03-04 01:47:15

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I am a bit carefull to file of material, 'cause I don't know what to file of to what cause...
I'll first try to master this flute, maybe I'll resort to filing later if it did not work. On the other hand, even on smaller flutes I notice that one fits better, plays easier then others.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#8 2009-03-04 09:01:36

Hans van Loon
Website

Hi Bas ,

In some kyotaku the blowing hole is very large
it just asks for a more relaxed way of blowing
I have one with very large bore and opening, and it still plays well

Hans

Kyotaku, the ZEN flute with the warm and serene sound

#9 2009-07-26 16:08:22

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I recently bought another large flute, a 2.5 Kyotaku (from Tilo Burdach) at the amazing 2009 European Summershool.
I was fortunate to be able to try many of his flutes there. Tilo brought several (about 8-10) most 2.35 to 2.9.
This 2.5 fits me perfectly I have a seal right away and I can concetrate at playing more and on playing relaxed.
I didn't succeed really well with getting the former 2.4 jinashi to fit. With this experience I heartilly recommend to try out flutes, if possible; several, before buying.

Bas

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#10 2009-07-27 01:21:42

airin
Website

Nice Bas, I'm glad you found a longer flute that 'fits' you well.  What is the sound like on your new flute?

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Chin flute placement and playing large flutes

Board footer