Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-06-12 01:48:17

Taldaran

Student model wooden shakuhachi question.

I purchased a Zen-on student model maple shakuhachi at a yard sale with a very small amount of cosmetic damage I can easily repair, and when I got it home, I put it on the tuner it plays Db!

I know that student models should be D. Do any of you find when you refurbish wooden shakuhachi that many are that far out of fundamental tuning? I checked the web and it dosen't look like Zen-on makes them in Db.

From what I have learned so far with the jinashi I have been making, is about the only thing that could be done is to shorten the end of the flute close to pitch, and then seriously, drastically undercut the holes. I don't think you could undercut them enough to change a half step.

Could coating the bore to evenly decrease the size raise the pitch enough?

Could anyone shed any light on the subject?

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#2 2009-06-12 03:00:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Student model wooden shakuhachi question.

Is it 1.8 in length?

Just use it the way it is if it sounds good.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-06-12 03:43:05

Karmajampa
Website

If it measures close to 545mm it will be close to 1.8 and D. so my next querie would be the angle of your blow plus the depth of the Utaguchi curve. Are you blowing kari enough ? Can you adjust your embouchure to bring the pitch up ?
Perhaps you have tried this, have to ask.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2009-06-12 09:29:17

radi0gnome
Website

Taldaran wrote:

I know that student models should be D. Do any of you find when you refurbish wooden shakuhachi that many are that far out of fundamental tuning?

I've purchased 3 wooden shakuhachi off of Ebay. Two are commercial ones and play very well in tune, the third was made by an individual in China and had some tuning problems but not nearly as severe as what you are describing.   

Taldaran wrote:

I'm not familiar with Zen-on flutes but it's apparently not all that dificult for makers to get their mass-produced wooden shakuhachi to play reasonably in tune and it's not likely to need major modifications like you are considering. If you're mostly only used to shakuhachi that you were only concerned with being in tune with themselves you could have possibly developed an embouchure that tends to play flat. I still think a full half step is kind of severe for the problem being a user error, but there are plenty of people here on the forum that say it's easy to play that flat unintentionally. Since there's a chance that is where the problem is I'd try to rule out that possibility somehow before making any major modifications to the flute.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2009-06-12 11:04:08

edosan
Edomologist

Taldaran wrote:

Zen-on only make a 1.6 and 1.8, AFAIK, so it ain't the flute that's playing flat.

Also, it's a piece of cake to play a half-step flat.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2009-06-12 16:42:49

Moran from Planet X
Website

I'm not certain about Zen-on but I had one of Yoshizawa Masakazu's shakuhachi made from laminated bamboo (the cheaper striped look) and that was a 1.7 tuned to Eb. The flute was stolen in a car burglary, so I don't have it to reference the maker. Might Zen-on have made a maple 1.7 in the past but now discontinued?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2009-06-14 16:24:28

Taldaran

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was out of town.

It's exactly 550 cm.

Christopher

#8 2009-06-14 17:18:50

Karmajampa
Website

That should be 550 millimeters, what is the bore diameter at the blowing end ?
I don't think 5mm will reduce the pitch a whole semitone. Still querie your blow, have you compared this flute with another 1.8 that plays a D fundamental ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#9 2009-06-14 19:02:29

Taldaran

Whoops I meant mm...the blowing end internal diameter is 21mm, the end is 16mm

No I don't unfortunately have another one made by someone else.. I made some out of PVC, then a few out of bamboo, various bore sizes and lengths depending on nodes and boresize for optimal aspect ratio, and used the syaku8 tuner. They were right on as far as tuning was concerned...but,

It could be that my technique is incorrect as some of you have implied. I don't have a teacher sitting close to correct my technique in case I am blowing too close to the utaguchi. I can play consistantly on most of mine through two octaves with plenty of meri/kari in otsu.

I have had a few people try the ones I have made, and I sold two of them and the person used a tuner when they tested them so I guess they must have been close enough. Maybe he plays like I do... I have been saving up for a few months, and I have ordered 2 David Brown's- a 1.8 tiger myrtle as well as a 2.1 silky oak, so I will know soon enough. From what I have researched, his flutes are excellent. I'll let you know what I find when I sit down in front of the tuner with them and play like I normally do.

The 2.1 is sitting in the post office, right now waiting for me. I can hardly wait till tomorrow morning!

Worse comes to worse, I'll need to train myself to pull back some when I play.

I thank you all for your replies!

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-06-14 19:35:04)

Christopher

#10 2009-06-14 20:18:27

Karmajampa
Website

That 21mm diameter is good for a D tuning. So the flute really looks like it fits a standard 1.8 that should play in D. IMO.
Thoughts on checking whether you are blowing sharp enough.
1. angle of flute, perhaps lower it and observe pitch.
2.Knead your lips bringing the lower forward.
3. distance of lips from utaguchi edge.Tighten and they will ppull away from the edge raising the pitch.
4.position on chin, check raising it slightly up your chin..
5. the pitch is influenced by the angle the air is hitting the edge, plus the speed of the jet. If you are blowing too softly the pitch can be lowered. Are you blowing from your abdomen ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2009-06-15 17:02:27

Taldaran

Okay, I don't want this to become a technique hijack of my own thread, but this is germane to flutebuilding.

I have been playing my brand new David Brown 2.1 (what a flute!) all morning, some of the time in front of the tuner.

KJ, I find I do play a hair flat. 10 to 15 cents only though.

I have been making the ones I play on to suit my playing style so they seem natural to me. It's not that hard to just pull back a hair, but I also tightened up my embrochure a bit which helps a lot. I do blow from my abdomen being a vocalist, so that is not an issue. Thank you so much for the tips!

Now on the other wood flute. if I pull back enough to play a D, my head is so far back/flute so close to my body, I might as well be blowing on a beer bottle. I can hardly make it sound a d before the note dies.

I won't mess with the flute, and just enjoy it in Db!

Christopher

#12 2009-06-15 18:58:30

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Taldaran wrote:

I won't mess with the flute, and just enjoy it in Db!

Probably the best bet Christopher. That could be an invasive project!

One way to go at these things is to go nuts on your own flutes and experiment away. Make huge errors, trash flutes but also experience the occasional breakthrough.

Then, when it comes to flutes by other makers, respect their integrity and let them be.

One way to look at it.

#13 2009-06-19 11:35:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Taldran sorry for chiming in so late.

Try this: blow Ro at Db and then open finger holes # 3, 4 and 5. What pitch to you get?

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#14 2009-06-27 04:32:26

Jason Castner

Tairaku wrote:

Is it 1.8 in length?

Just use it the way it is if it sounds good.

I agree with the master...just use it the way it is and make it sound good

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

#15 2009-06-27 16:58:44

Taldaran

Yungflutes wrote:

Try this: blow Ro at Db and then open finger holes # 3, 4 and 5. What pitch to you get?

Hmm. Interesting The octave is a tiny bit flat of D.

Christopher

#16 2009-06-27 17:42:01

radi0gnome
Website

Taldaran wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, but would a leaky joint cause the Ro to be flat? The reason I'm asking is that I have a flute I was having problems with a flat Ro. I just bound what I thought was a surface crack near the joint as a preventative measure to keep the crack from becoming bigger and now I think the Ro is playing better in tune.   Maybe try some plumber's tape on the male part of the joint and see if it helps. My tone production capabilities aren't all that consistent so I'm not sure the binding really helped my flute but plumber's tape is cheap and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

#17 2009-07-27 00:25:39

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

radi0gnome wrote:

Taldaran wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, but would a leaky joint cause the Ro to be flat? The reason I'm asking is that I have a flute I was having problems with a flat Ro. I just bound what I thought was a surface crack near the joint as a preventative measure to keep the crack from becoming bigger and now I think the Ro is playing better in tune.   Maybe try some plumber's tape on the male part of the joint and see if it helps. My tone production capabilities aren't all that consistent so I'm not sure the binding really helped my flute but plumber's tape is cheap and it wouldn't hurt to try it.

There is no way that a leaky joint could cause ro to be flat. A leaky joint would prevent ro sounding if it were large enough, but flat? No.

Toby

#18 2009-07-27 14:45:27

Taldaran

I have been playing my David Brown 1.8 for weeks now (absolutely love it!) and now that I have gotten used to a great wooden shakuhachi, I can see that that zen-on has tuning issues. There is no leakage though.

I know Perry has tweaked wooden shakuhachi, so I may go that route. No rush though.

Christopher

#19 2009-07-27 16:48:51

radi0gnome
Website

Taldaran wrote:

and now that I have gotten used to a great wooden shakuhachi, I can see that that zen-on has tuning issues.

Otsu Ro being 1/2 tone flat is pretty severe, I wonder if it is just a fluke with the particular instrument you got or Zen-on manufactures all of them to the same specifications. I know Perry has mentioned many times that how well a mass-produced flute plays depends on the finishing and varies between individual instruments, but I doubt finishing could account for that much variance.

#20 2009-07-28 01:21:56

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I agree. I can't see how a single exemplar of a machine-made, mass-produced flute could have one note 50 cents flat.

Toby

#21 2009-07-28 12:50:59

Taldaran

Well frankly, unless the flutes are completely CNC machined, human error is possible.

Christopher

#22 2009-07-29 10:54:34

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Taldaran wrote:

Well frankly, unless the flutes are completely CNC machined, human error is possible.

Hi Taldran, Wooden flutes made in Japan can be like bamboo shakuhachi - each with it's own flavor (within a ball park). The end result is dependent upon the amount of finishing work at the final stage.  As you all know, minute differences on the bore profile can affect all aspects of the playability - resonance, balance, tuning and tone color. How well the finisher plays (and how hard he/she wants to work) will affect the final product. To use an analogy, the process can be like automobiles at the plant. They say cars finished on Fridays by tired workers may not run as well as ones finished on Mondays when the workers have fresh energy.

This is why there is a wide range in quality for wooden flutes also. The ones starting at $200 in Japan can be fine for a beginner, but they may be a little uninspiring compared to the ones that sell for around $600. The bores can be similar, even from different companies, but the level of playability is almost always dependent upon the finisher's skill.  I have an old one made in the 1970's. It's probably from the first wave. I did some minor refurbishing and adjustments on it but it was always a fantastic player, on par with a very fine bamboo instrument. I could see that there was some amount of hand adjustments done to the bore.

Many entry level wooden flutes have sharp Thumb holes in Otsu to make up for the flat Kan note. Sounds like the case with your flute. I have seen some modern wooden flute with a 54.5 length that came in a little flat for experienced players, but not a semi tone flat. The reasons were narrow bores and small openings at the top and bottom.

Hope this helps.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer