Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-02 17:59:46

Kouu

Hello Everyone!

Hello!

I've been lurking here for a while now. I'm new to the shakuhachi and I'd like to thank everyone involved with this forum for all the info posted here.

I've long had an interest in ancient instruments and simple system flutes and the like, and occasionally over the years I would actually buy one, but I never did get around to learning to play them. Only over the past year or so have I started taking my interest more seriously (perhaps having to do with turning forty-five).

At first I thought that Irish trad music would be the way to go, and it is fun music, but somehow it just doesn't quite satisfy whatever it is that I'm longing for musically. I want something deeper and more profound. It's hard to put into words, but I want something that comes more from within, rather than something that comes out of a pint of Guinness. Do you know what I mean?

I picked up several musical, historical and philosophical threads and following them deeper and deeper I found them coming together in the shakuhachi. Everyone warned that the shakuhachi is dauntingly difficult to play but that's okay with me. I'm in no hurry. Perhaps the difficulty is part of what makes the shakuhachi so satisfying.

Satisfying. Soothing. Inspiring. These are words commonly used to describe playing the shakuhachi. Maybe it's the long slow exhale or the resonant tones or both, but after playing for several minutes I feel a positive shift in my mental state that actually seems to begin somewhere in the solar plexus.

Well, I perceive that maybe I'm not making too much sense. These things are difficult to articulate but I trust that in you all I find a sympathetic ear if not necessarily an understanding one. smile

I would like to mention that I have two beginner's shakuhachi that I'm very pleased with. One is a 2.3 and the other is a 1.5 and both are from Perry Yung. In transit is a second-hand Yuu that I plan on leaving at work for lunchtime practice.

Thanks again for this forum!

Rick

#2 2009-08-02 21:22:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Hello Everyone!

Hi Rick, welcome to the world of shakuhachi and the forum.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-08-03 00:53:45

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Perfect sense Rick. Welcome!

#4 2009-08-03 09:04:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Kouu wrote:

Well, I perceive that maybe I'm not making too much sense. These things are difficult to articulate but I trust that in you all I find a sympathetic ear if not necessarily an understanding one. smile

Hi Rick, the experience of music is nearly impossible to describe with words (dance may have a better success rate). The shakuhachi experience is even more difficult!

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.

With a firm handshake, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2009-08-03 09:06:47)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2009-08-03 18:08:49

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Welcome Rick. You make a lot of sense.   Stick with it.

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-08-03 18:09:11)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#6 2009-08-03 18:25:57

Taldaran

Welcome! I too carry my 1.8 with me to work and play during my breaks and lunch...I am blessed to have a japanese garden just at the other end of the parking lot fom my building!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#7 2009-08-04 14:08:18

Kouu

Thanks everyone! I feel at home here!

#8 2009-08-04 17:20:41

BrianP
Website

Welcome Rick!

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#9 2009-08-09 19:52:31

uosuaq

Hi Rick,
I understand how you feel about the limitations of Irish trad music.  I think it *can* be quite profound, but maybe not in a session at the local pub.  I have a couple nice Irish whistles but haven't gone farther than learning a few simple tunes.
The reason I'm posting is that I have a notion about why the shakuhachi is so interesting, but I'm also a newbie so I'd like to hear what others think about it. 
The shakuhachi allows not only for a lot of gradual shading between notes (sharp/flat), but also a lot of variation in tonal quality (breathiness, overtones, etc.).  Granted, a transverse flute such as the Irish flute offers some of the same possibilities, but the shakuhachi positively encourages them.  More to the point, the shakuhachi music I've heard so far seems to exploit them to the hilt. 
I tend to think that music exists on a spectrum between the purely mechanical and mathematical aspects of melody/harmony/timing per se (think of a Bach piece played very precisely by a computer) and the "expressive" aspect (think of a late John Coltrane solo, eschewing melody, chords etc. in favor of pure passion).
My impression is that shakuhachi music (at any rate, the shakuhachi music I like) leans towards the expressive end of the spectrum;  it's less about playing a melody than it is about *sound*.  When music veers into the realm of pure sound, it requires a lot of attention, a lot of focus;  it becomes more "in the moment" and therefore "something deeper and more profound", as you put it.
That's what I find attractive about the shakuhachi, at any rate (apart from the lovely sound of bamboo).  I'd love to hear what others think.

Benson
(P.S. I also have a Yung flute, a 2.2 that I take out on my little porch and play before going to bed.  My cat comes out and sits next to me.  It's something to look forward to all day.  Keep up the good work, Perry!)

#10 2009-08-10 04:25:02

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Well spoken Kouu and uosuaq (but difficult names smile)
I concur that the shakuhachi touches you somewhere inside, which I haven't experienced with another instrument.

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#11 2009-08-10 16:54:24

Kouu

uosuaq wrote:

My impression is that shakuhachi music (at any rate, the shakuhachi music I like) leans towards the expressive end of the spectrum;  it's less about playing a melody than it is about *sound*.  When music veers into the realm of pure sound, it requires a lot of attention, a lot of focus;  it becomes more "in the moment" and therefore "something deeper and more profound", as you put it.

Yes exactly.

It seems to me that whenever I play songs, even very well written ones, there is the sense that I am merely sharing in or relating to the thoughts and feelings expressed by the writer/composer. In other words it's not truly self-expression. It is true that a good musician or singer can effectively project his ego into a song and we say that he "made that song his own," but for me that still wouldn't be the authentic experience I'm seeking.

I could write my own songs, but even then playing them would just be a rehearsed reiteration, an artificial recreation, of the moment in which I wrote the song. How can you be fully in the present moment and be allowing it to unfold when you already know exactly what notes you will play -- let's say, what the *sound* will be -- a minute from now, two minutes from now, and worst of all, exactly when the sound will end?

The shakuhachi seems ideal for transcending all of that. Focusing on pure sound, while you yourself are creating that sound, has a remarkable way of taking you out of your everyday world (the world of your ego) and into the realm of the Self. What comes to mind just now is a passage from The Power of Myth with Joseph Campbell in which he describes the function of a great cathedral as being a means of temporarily leaving the world behind and having one's mind lifted to a higher plane and through that experience achieving a sense of connection to the transcendent mystery of life. The challenge then is to maintain that connection when one reenters the world. This is what certain prayers, mantras and meditations are for. I'm beginning to think that playing shakuhachi has the potential for performing the same function as a mantra and perhaps, just perhaps, the function of a cathedral as well.

I am so new to the shakuhachi that the ideas expressed above are not as yet fully formed in my mind, but expressing them has helped me to see them a little more clearly.

Thanks everyone for listening and for sharing your ideas!

Rick

#12 2009-08-10 17:11:06

Kouu

Great blog Bas!

Your ShakuJungle improv video sounds and looks great.

Did you paint your Yuu? It looks better that way.

#13 2009-08-10 18:58:09

airin
Website

Yes Kouu, definitely some days the bamboo flute creates the cathedral for the mind....and on other days it will manifest a cold, damp cave.  One environment is not necessarily better than the other, I have found, but rather where ever the sounds take me is usually a very fascinating, and often quite new, place to be.

#14 2009-08-10 19:29:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey all, The shakuhachi continues to surprise me in all aspects. I've been playing for around 16 years and everyday, I feel it's just the beginning,

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#15 2009-08-11 02:06:21

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Kouu wrote:

Great blog Bas!

Your ShakuJungle improv video sounds and looks great.

Did you paint your Yuu? It looks better that way.

Thanks! Yes I stained my Yuu, brown (which was ok) and then black with a marker, which I am not so happy with...It will fade in time smile

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

Board footer