Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-18 13:12:21

radi0gnome
Website

Does condensation affect the tone?

There was some talk on another thread recently about swabbing the shakuhachi after every practice session. What I'm wondering is if maybe it should be swabbed more frequently. That is because with all the talk on the flutemaking thread about how important the surface of the bore is it's apparent to me that the coating of fine condensation particals along with the little rivers and streams inside the flute may have an affect on the sound. As it is I generally swab more often than that because sometimes the thumbhole gets soaked and keeps the finger seal over the thumbhole from being broken as soon as it should when I lift my thumb for notes that require it.

It was really about a half year ago or so I started thinking about it when I saw Ned Rothenberg swab his clarinet about 10 different times during a performance. He was using a lot of extended techniques in the concert, my only guess for the reason he swabbed so frequently is that the clarinet wouldn't respond as well to such demanding playing otherwise.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2009-12-19 11:53:26

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Does condensation affect the tone?

I have wondered about this. I have never noticed any change. In a Jinashi there is less than in a resin surface.
Initially, interestingly, the condensation forms at the pressure point of the waveform, if you had a glass flute you would see this.
I also heard a comment that in Winter you blow Ro until a six inch icicle has formed off the end of your flute.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2009-12-19 19:01:19

Taldaran

Re: Does condensation affect the tone?

I have the same problem with moisture welling up in the thumbhole and get a momentary "burble" when I atari. I think it's more that I feel it than hear it. I swab the bore pretty much every time I finish playing.

I don't notice a change in the tone myself, but when you are playing in the cold, it feels particulalrly nasty when the rivulet of condensate runs down your wrist into your sleeve.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

Board footer