World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-12-18 04:22:34

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Re: Resonance, tone and sustain.

Toby wrote:

As far as feeling the bamboo vibrating. I think you will find that you mostly feel the vibrations in your fingertips as they cover the holes, and not on the body of the flute itself. Try this: have someone else play a flute whiloe you grab the body between your fingers. How much do you feel the vibrations now?

Some years ago, I use to play some bamboo transverse flutes I made, and one day I told a friend about the taste of stay feeling the flute vibrating trhough the arms... He, a guy who don't play any instrument said "ohhh I would like to feel that"... I said "hold the flute with your two hands and I will play to you!"... and so we did... his smile when I started to play could tell me that he was stoned, but he wasn't. After that, he told me that he felt almost the same thing I did...

I like the science thing...I like the feeling thing...

Discussions will always occur among these.

A short history well known of most people:

Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the dam of the Hao Waterfall when Zhuangzi said, "See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That's what fish really enjoy!"
Huizi said, "You're not a fish — how do you know what fish enjoy?"
Zhuangzi said, "You're not me, so how do you know I don't know what fish enjoy?"
Huizi said, "I'm not you, so I certainly don't know what you know. On the other hand, you're certainly not a fish — so that still proves you don't know what fish enjoy!"
Zhuangzi said, "Let's go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy — so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao." (17, tr. Watson 1968:188-9)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#27 2009-12-18 09:18:34

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I have a number of good bansuri and other thin bamboo flutes, and indeed one can feel the body vibrating. Can you feel it in a shakuhachi?

I love bamboo and everything about it. No plastic or metal flute gives me the same feeling. But that's not what we are discussing here. If we were talking about the experience of playing, that would be a different matter.

There are many secondary ways in which the material influences the sound, and probably the main one of these if the fact that feeling influences playing, which influences the final sound in a major way. But when we talk about the primary effect of material on sound, that is a different matter altogether.

Toby

#28 2009-12-18 09:30:16

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Toby,
Love your avatar and title!
How true it is and funny! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#29 2009-12-18 22:03:18

Taldaran

Toby wrote:

I have a number of good bansuri and other thin bamboo flutes, and indeed one can feel the body vibrating. Can you feel it in a shakuhachi?

Toby

I posted an experiment for you to try in the miscellaneous section...

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-12-18 22:51:09)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#30 2009-12-19 02:48:45

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Kiku Day wrote:

Toby,
Love your avatar and title!
How true it is and funny! smile

I don't know who posted them...Someone with a sense of humor at least...

#31 2009-12-19 10:12:29

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Toby wrote:

Although I do not have anyone to play a shakuhachi while I hold it's body, I tested it by myself, playing Re and holding diferent places of the flute. So, I can say: Yes I can feel it on shakuhachi. Even the worst flute I have vibrates.

Toby wrote:

I love bamboo and everything about it. No plastic or metal flute gives me the same feeling. But that's not what we are discussing here. If we were talking about the experience of playing, that would be a different matter.

We are talking about sound and about playing. When we play, we can play only for ourselves and/or for people or we can be aware that we play  not only to for ourselves and/or for people but to every being who can listen, and maybe to some things that do not have ears... I know that I sound foolish with that, but is how I feel the thing...

We can't hear dog whitle...it is not a sound? We can't hear harmonics on high pitches, but we can in low pitches... the very very low pitch of the bamboo vibrating and it's harmonics should be heard by some being. Do not exist some animals who can hear very low frequencies?

The question here, about the material and it's activity in sound production is concerned to human ears. This is ok to me... If we consider that sound is vibration, and that there exist a lot of frequencies that we can't hear, every litle thing matters... Also, everything that vibrates produces sound right?!  So the material matters...

I agree that my thoughts can not be pratical and that the material vibration in flutes will not produce sound as in a string instrument for example. You are right about the fisic works...

Toby, do you think that there is a way to measure the frequency of the material vibration on a flute, I mean separeted from the main sound? It would be nice!

Also ,IF we find a way to stop the material vibration, I would like to hear how different the same flute could sound, with vibes and without them (maybe in the future we can have an extra button in the shakuhachi  Knob-u-Ryu: Vibes on/off)... euhieuhe  smile

Everything I said can not make sense, because I have a bit of dificult to express myself with my language limitations and also because I am a fool on the hill...

A big hug man!!!

Peace!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#32 2009-12-19 10:24:28

edosan
Edomologist

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

Although I do not have anyone to play a shakuhachi while I hold it's body, I tested it by myself, playing Re and holding diferent places of the flute. So, I can say: Yes I can feel it on shakuhachi. Even the worst flute I have vibrates.

Henrique,
You can not do this test by covering ANY of the sound holes with your fingers, because your fingers will feel the vibration comng OUT of the sound
holes. You must either play the flute while someone else feels the shaft, or you must cover up all the sound holes with tape, then play the flute withot touching the taped holes.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#33 2009-12-19 11:21:05

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Ed!

I got what you are saying!

I was playing Re with left hand and holding it with the right hand between hole 4 and mouthpiece...

Of course play a good Ro without close the holes with fingers would be even nicer!!!

I will make it again using tape on some shakuhachi holes and and shakuhachi being made, still no holes...

Anyway, that they do vibrate, they do....

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2009-12-19 11:23:31)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#34 2009-12-21 02:18:31

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

Toby wrote:

Toby wrote:

We are talking about sound and about playing. When we play, we can play only for ourselves and/or for people or we can be aware that we play  not only to for ourselves and/or for people but to every being who can listen, and maybe to some things that do not have ears... I know that I sound foolish with that, but is how I feel the thing...

We can't hear dog whitle...it is not a sound? We can't hear harmonics on high pitches, but we can in low pitches... the very very low pitch of the bamboo vibrating and it's harmonics should be heard by some being. Do not exist some animals who can hear very low frequencies?

The question here, about the material and it's activity in sound production is concerned to human ears. This is ok to me... If we consider that sound is vibration, and that there exist a lot of frequencies that we can't hear, every litle thing matters... Also, everything that vibrates produces sound right?!  So the material matters...

I agree that my thoughts can not be pratical and that the material vibration in flutes will not produce sound as in a string instrument for example. You are right about the fisic works...

Toby, do you think that there is a way to measure the frequency of the material vibration on a flute, I mean separeted from the main sound? It would be nice!

Also ,IF we find a way to stop the material vibration, I would like to hear how different the same flute could sound, with vibes and without them (maybe in the future we can have an extra button in the shakuhachi  Knob-u-Ryu: Vibes on/off)... euhieuhe  smile

Everything I said can not make sense, because I have a bit of dificult to express myself with my language limitations and also because I am a fool on the hill...

A big hug man!!!

Peace!

Let's just say that as far as sound goes, the vibration of the material does not influence the sound that comes out of the flute in any way that is perceptible. A scientist named John Backus did measurements of the vibration of the wooden clarinet body with accelerometers. It vibrated by expanding the bore by about 1/1000000 of a meter. That gives a radiated sound from the body of -40 dB, that is WAY below the threshold of perception.

As I said, some French researchers did an experiment with a very thin metal tube, even at 15 micrometers, it would not vibrate much, so they forced it to vibrate by making it elliptical, so that it REALLY vibrated. They did very accurate and fine spectral analyses, and could not find, nor hear, any difference in the sound when the tube vibrated quite a lot and when it didn't.

Toby

#35 2009-12-21 06:47:57

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Toby!

I think you are right... I noticed that I am judging the vibes with other questions in mind, not only sound...

I will keep my point of view, because even that I think that my thoughts (even more those that I didn't wrote) will sound foolish to most people here, science also has a foolish side in which they can affirm so firmly one thing one day to another day come they say "Well we was wrong, we didn't saw it at that time because blablablabla"

Anyway, I will keep following your posts... I use to learn a lot from them!

A big hug!

Henrique

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2009-12-21 07:19:52)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#36 2009-12-23 10:19:58

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Taldaran wrote:

So in theory, if you applied a very thin hard coat of epoxy over a perfect match of a master made shakuhachi, but molded out of paper mache, it would sound the same? I have already heard many people say the Yuu does not sound like bamboo. How much less would paper mache?

Just for fun, I made a shakuhachi out of a thick cardboard tube used for textile rolls from a fabric store with almost the same dimensions as one of my first PVC, and entirely coated it with the same water based polyurethane as I use on some of my bamboo bores to produce a smooth hard finish that would repel the moisture from my breath. I also soaked the utaguchi edge with superglue and sanded it smooth. It felt as hard as an inlay.

It functioned about the same as my PVC flutes, but it sounded muffled, dull and empty, (and not a good empty either).

Ken and Brian talk about the "glow" produced by the taimu. Some would say that it is the soundwaves getting bottled up and taking extra time to exit the flute, but the speed of sound is fast, and the flute is not that long.

I suggest that it's the bamboo itself that is storing the soundwaves like a spring (potential energy), and then releasing it after the event.

Even striking the flute with your knuckle will make a pleasing knock that depending on the bamboo will continue to vibrate. Think of long bamboo windchimes. No blowing involved. The residual sound is the bamboo itself vibrating.

That makes the bamboo tube an ideophone.

What many people fail to understand that even if a piece of bamboo is fomed into an aerophone, it still continues to function as an ideophone. The oscillations of air also strike the wall of the flute sounding the material. Hell you can feel the soundwaves striking your fingertips especially on flutes with bigger holes. On long flutes it can almost tickle!

It's not just the empty space. The material counts.

One of the main factors in bore geometry is smoothness. There is a boundary layer effect, in which at a certain distance from the wall, air molecules are slowed and their energy robbed by viscous and thermal losses. The rougher the bore, the more the loss. Was the inside of your cardboard tube as smooth as PVC? Since 99% of the energy input is lost before any sound is radiated out of the flute, most of it at the walls, you do want them to be as smooth as possible.

In terms of the idiophone/aerophone thing: The vibrations that you feel when you tap the flute with a finger are distortional vibrations, caused when the tube is deformed by being struck at a point. The air column creates NO vibrations of this kind; rather it pushes the walls out equally around the inner circumference. wall. The only way that the air column can make the walls vibrate is by expanding them--like blowing up a balloon. It is that kind of pressure wave that you feel on your fingertips. Fingertips are soft. Wall materials are not, and highly resist being "tickled".

Toby

#37 2009-12-23 10:42:28

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Taldaran wrote:

"Of course your answer about guitars is disingenuous, because it is quite clear that it is the vibrating body of a guitar which produces the sound when excited by the strings. In the shakuhachi, it is the vibrating air column excited by the air jet from the lips. The walls of the flute serve only to define the air column."

Toby, I said electric guitars. And no, it is not clear.

Believe it or not, some of the same arguments that apply to shakuhachi apply to electric guitars by builders as well as pro players. Since the electronics and pickups of an electric guitar sense the vibrations of strings, in theory it doesn’t make any difference what kind of electric guitar body material is used.

Sound familiar?

In practice though, there is a huge difference in electric guitar tone coming out of a neutral amplifier depending on materials used in the making of the instrument - even though it shouldn’t make any difference.

Another post wandering around looking for an answer...

The physics of a plucked string are quite complex, but let's make an outline. The sound from the initial impulse will depend on a number of factors, including the material and geometry of the string itself and how and where along its length it is plucked. In a perfect world, the string would keep vibrating like that forever, but various losses eventually cause the vibrations to cease. Some are internal losses in the string, but a great deal of the losses come from a transfer of energy from the string to the body through the nut, tailpiece or saddle and bridge. As the body is set to vibrating, the string loses energy. The more the body vibrates, the quicker the transfer of energy and the shorter the sustain of the note. This is why electric guitars tend to have longer sustain than acoustic guitars, which still beat banjos.

The string is vibrating in a number of complex modes to create harmonics of the fundamental, and each of those modes dies out at a different rate depending on how much of its energy is being transferred to the body, and this depends highly on the material and geometry of the body. Therefore material as well as shape (both of which determine the resonant modes of the body) have a great deal to do with how the string vibrates, and how long it vibrates, whether or not there is an audible acoustic output from the body or not.

The air column of a flute, by contrast, is not anchored to the body at any point: in fact the air column is the opposite of a string. The string has a pressure antinode at each end, whereas the air column has a pressure node at each end. Therefore the air column, as the vibrating medium, cannot couple with the flute body and transfer energy to it through vibration, as happens in ANY stringed instrument. The air column does lose energy though--99% of it before any sound comes out the other end. This is mainly lost at the walls, as air molecules are slowed down. They transfer energy to the walls as heat, and the thermal capacity of any relatively rigid material is so much higher than air that it is basically infinite as far as the air is concerned: it can take all the heat that the air can give it and then some, without a whimper or a vibration.

It's interesting to note that if the flute body itself did vibrate, it would actually act destructively on the sound output of the flute, since more energy from the air column would then be lost as heat making the wall flex and thus would reduce the radiated sound output.

But of cousre the flute body does not vibrate enough for this to be a problem ;^}

Toby

#38 2009-12-23 10:59:26

BAmbooway
Website

At us conversations on these themes too are conducted. Usually I compare plastic shakuhachi with plastic  the woman:)) which has a number of obvious advantages. But at all thus, for the normal person the-choice is obvious.wink) I consider what better to play on a bamboo flute on the first register, than on the plastic let even decently made.

#39 2009-12-23 15:09:14

Taldaran

Toby wrote:

"Therefore the air column, as the vibrating medium, cannot couple with the flute body and transfer energy to it through vibration, as happens in ANY stringed instrument.

Toby

If the flute wall cannot couple with the air column, Then how is it possible to feel the vibrations in your fingertips when you block a hole?

When your finger closes a hole it becomes part of the flute body, does it not? Or does the composition of your flesh and blood and nerve endings somehow make it different? And if you feel it, energy is transferred.

For that matter, with what you profess, you should not be able to feel any vibrations at all, even in your lips. Remember that your lips and upper chin are part of the end of the flute as well when you blow. It is not like the experiment when someone is playing a trumpet or a reed instrument. Your lips do not need to vibrate to produce the vibration (although they do by the transferral of energy from the air column).

I have finished flutes where I decided to glue in an ikigaeshi because of the wider bores and an increased difficulty to keep the seal of the lower lip/chin while performing wide meri-keri, as well as comfort. The difference in tone is noticeable. Not only I but the person I made the flutes for noticed it as well. I have the benefit of a before/after scenario.

You may think that I am splitting hairs here, but you are beginning to base your premise on absolutes.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#40 2009-12-24 06:41:04

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I base nothing on absolutes, but all physical objects have consistent properties. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough about what I meant with "coupling", so let's clear that up.

All materials have resonant frequencies, at which they can vibrate and the vibration is sustained in a way that can allow it to grow until limiting factors set in, just like pumping your legs on a child's swing in the park. If you pump your legs at a frequency that is different than that of the swing and chain, you never get very far, do you?

In solid materials, resonant frequencies depend on many factors, but the main ones are the hardness of the material, its thickness and the form.

Now let's talk about flute bodies. For the flute to vibrate significantly, in what is called "breathing mode", it must have one or more resonance frequencies that can be excited by a significant playing frequency (either the fundamental or one of the stronger partials). Not only that, it must be able to sustain that vibration, which is what symathetic vibration is all about.

This can happen with walls the thickness of those of the shakuhachi only if the material is flat--forming even a very thin metal tube into a circular cross-section raises all the resonant frequencies way beyond any playing frequency. This means that even if the air column is pulsing against the sides of the tube, it cannot create a sympathetic vibration in the walls. And the air pressure variation is far too small to deform the tube enough to matter at all.

But fingers are an entirely different matter: they are soft and therefore the relatively small air pressure variations in the bore cause the pads of the fingers to flex, and that is what you are feeling. The fingers and the bamboo are of quite different levels of hardness. If you doubt this take a stream of water out of a high pressure nozzle and aim it first at a piece of bamboo and then at the tip of your finger. Which deforms more? In fact, can you see any deformation in the bamboo at all? Not only that, your finger has considerably lower resonance frequencies than a piece of bamboo, even a relatively flat piece of bamboo.

If the flute tube were as soft as your flesh, it would most certainly vibrate significantly, and not to the advantage to the sound or response.

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2009-12-24 23:03:47)

Board footer