World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-01 18:00:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

New Forum

To initiate the new decade we are introducing a new forum-"The Universal Flute-International Shakuhachi Hall of Fame". We are taking the title of this forum from "The Universal Flute" by Henry Cowell. Composed in 1946 this is the first example of a Westerner studying and composing for shakuhachi. The piece can be performed on either shakuhachi or silver flute.

We are in an interesting position with the BBQ. Shakuhachi is a Japanese instrument and the original music Japanese in origin. We have a few Japanese members on the BBQ but most of our membership consists of Westerners. Some live in Japan, but we have people from the U.S., Australia, Germany, Canada, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Russia, Brazil, Mexicao, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Phillipines and more (if I forgot anybody let me know and I'll update). Some study with Japanese teachers, some study with Western teachers, some are self taught, and some are teachers themselves. The one thing we all have in common is that we are part of the process of internationalizing shakuhachi practice and performance.

Please feel free to post about anyone you think has been beneficial to the global spread of shakuhachi and/or the melding of Western and Japanese musical practice as applied to shakuhachi.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2010-01-03 17:25:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: New Forum

I would like to encourage members to nominate people or events in this category by starting new topics.

#3 2010-01-04 15:41:42

Ralph
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi there. Cowell's piece was composed in 1946.

Ralph

#4 2010-01-04 17:19:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Ralph. I knew that. It was a ruse to get you to join the forum!

Welcome!

#5 2010-01-04 18:05:35

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Hi Ralph. I knew that. It was a ruse to get you to join the forum!

Welcome!

Hey! That's Ralph What's-His-Name, isn't it? Thought it might be.  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2010-01-05 10:15:55

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Ralph wrote:

Hi there. Cowell's piece was composed in 1946.

Ralph

Hey Ralph, Great to see you here!

Tairaku wrote:

I would like to encourage members to nominate people or events in this category by starting new topics.

I know of some musicians who have introduced the shakuhachi to thousands of international audiences by using the shakuhachi indirectly to underscore theater, dance and film. Do they count as Universal Flautists?

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2010-01-05 14:52:39

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I think they count.

#8 2010-01-13 20:05:15

Todd Frederick

I am not Japanese and was not raised in a Japanese culture. I have no familiarity with Japanese folk songs or any other form of Japanese musical traditions. After reading "Blowing Zen" I realize my distance from Japanese culture more acutely.

In my opinion, the Shakuhachi flute is one of many thousands of cultural instruments and I realize that I will never be able to play this instrument in the fullness of its cultural heritage any more than I could fully play any other cultural instrument. I have no delusions about this.

As a United States American, I can not even think of any instrument that is a part of my national cultural tradition. We adapt and use instruments from all over the world. Even the banjo is of African origin!

I suppose that the Native American Flute of the southwestern United States is probably the closest we can get to an indigenous instrument.

I am learning to "play" the Shakuhachi as a personal challenge and to focus my mind....nothing more...and will go with it as far as my limited musical skills will take me.

I do think that this instrument has great potential to be "internationalized" and adapted to the songs and tunes of other cultural traditions.

With that in mind Tairaku, I appreciate this new sub-forum:

"The one thing we all have in common is that we are part of the process of internationalizing shakuhachi practice and performance.

Please feel free to post about anyone you think has been beneficial to the global spread of shakuhachi and/or the melding of Western and Japanese musical practice as applied to shakuhachi."

I hope we can all keep our suggestions in this regard peaceful and polite. Toadosan is watching big_smile

Todd

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2010-01-13 20:23:14)

#9 2010-03-26 17:09:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

OK BBQ members, this Universal Flute forum is languishing, can somebody write a few new inductees?

Board footer