World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-04-03 00:24:31

Moran from Planet X
Website

Submissions for "RO for Phil" CD

Cattle Call: submissions for "RO for Phil" CD

I'm accepting mp3 recordings (one per person) of you playing a single breath otsu-RO -- up to and no more than 10 seconds.

The recordings will be used on a CDBaby cd called RO for Phil. It is a minimalist concept CD. There will be one track titled "Ro for Phil". The track will be quite long. Nothing else is planned.

All proceeds beyond CDBaby charges ($4.00 per physical CD) for production/services will go to Phil Nyoaki James and his family. I have set the CD at $15. I haven't set a digital download price yet. The gross-net to Phil will be $11.00 minus PayPal fees (which will give him the Net-net).

Please use a 1.8 shakuhachi and aim for (as Toby would say) a good solid RO, the bottom note "D" on your shakuhachi. If you have a tuner try to nail that needle right in the middle. Set the tuner at 440.

Do your best. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't even have to stand up to whatever impossible standard you set for yourself. It can even be a very poor Ro. Just Ro. Just start breathing into the flute with all fingers down, get to pitch, sustain it for as long as comfortable and decay it as gently as you can -- not (much) longer than 10 seconds, if that.

10 seconds of a good solid Ro is hard to do. If you can't record a good one for 10 seconds, make it 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 or 5. Try to attack the note gently, play it strongly and decay the note gently.

But as I said, just do your best. The recordings will be layered and strung together. Everyone who sends me a usable Mp3 recording on a standard 1.8 playing otsu Ro will make it to the final mix.

(Enterprising people can _also_ send recordings of themselves playing otsu-RO on 2.4 and 1.6. Also 3.2(D) or 0.8(D) may be used. These may or may not be included in the mix.)

Just an otsu-Ro for 10 seconds. 1.8 shakuhachi. No reverb. No effects. Plain, simple. RO. No more than 10 seconds. Standard or good mp3 quality recordings no more than 192 bit rate.

Just bees in a hive, become a part of the hive vibe.  A Ro-buki for Phil Nyokai James.

Think of Phil and what you wish for him.

I'll put an email address up this weekend to send your submissions to.

Submission deadline is May 1, 2010.

Release date is set for June 21, 2010, the summer solstice.

I'll be putting this together on an eMac 700Mhz with Amadeus 2.0. I just opened up a CDBaby account for this project and I have no idea about what I'm doing beyond that. smile

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2010-04-03 02:41:51

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Submissions for "RO for Phil" CD

Chris Moran wrote:

Just start breathing into the flute with all fingers down, get to pitch, sustain it for as long as comfortable and decay it as gently as you can -- not (much) longer than 10 seconds, if that.

OK,
1) get to pitch (I assume you mean to crescendo) - about 5 seconds
2) sustain it for as long as comfortable - about 4 seconds
3) decay gently - another 5 seconds

I'm having difficulty getting it down to 10 seconds. 14 seconds is about the shortest I can get it without it feeling rushed, at least for a crescendo, sustain, decay sort of thing.

Edit --- Here's what I got, still more than 10 seconds, but is it OK? http://www.4shared.com/file/256009814/b … nline.html

Also, I know you're trying to keep this simple so the project is more feasible, but I think you might get more interesting results if you allow for some creativity, ie, longer tones, different dynamic variations, whatever that pulsing breath is called, flutter tonguing, etc... That should give you some real fodder for layering and looping.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2010-04-03 09:03:22)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2010-04-03 16:31:00

Moran from Planet X
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Just start breathing into the flute with all fingers down, get to pitch, sustain it for as long as comfortable and decay it as gently as you can -- not (much) longer than 10 seconds, if that.

OK,
1) get to pitch (I assume you mean to crescendo) - about 5 seconds
2) sustain it for as long as comfortable - about 4 seconds
3) decay gently - another 5 seconds

I'm having difficulty getting it down to 10 seconds. 14 seconds is about the shortest I can get it without it feeling rushed, at least for a crescendo, sustain, decay sort of thing.

Edit --- Here's what I got, still more than 10 seconds, but is it OK? http://www.4shared.com/file/256009814/b … nline.html

Very nice. Very good control. The crescendo does not have to be that long. I just didn't want lots of Re-ROOOOOOO or Tsu-ROOOOOOOOO. But that wouldn't disqualify it. 14 seconds would be fine.

I'm still feeling out the possibilities, but the concept is to keep it minimalist and something that I can fit on my hard drive. It's also something I want to finish with by June. I have very little time off to do anything.

radi0gnome wrote:

Also, I know you're trying to keep this simple so the project is more feasible, but I think you might get more interesting results if you allow for some creativity, ie, longer tones, different dynamic variations, whatever that pulsing breath is called, flutter tonguing, etc... That should give you some real fodder for layering and looping.

If anyone wants to send in an extra sample with komi-buki or flutter-toungue or muraiki etc. that's fine, but only one or two extra things. I can only handle so many contributions. And they all have to be otsu-Ro.  No promises on using anything but a single plain otsu-Ro contribution.

Good input. Thanks!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2010-04-03 16:37:21

Moran from Planet X
Website

I really need to get at least one hundred RO from 100 people to make this thing "work."

Email for contributions will be posted soon.

If I can get everyone's performing name onto the CD card, I will. So please send me your performing name as you want it appear on the card -- if I can make that happen. Otherwise the artist is just going to be listed as Shakuhachi Forum with no further detail.

#5 2010-04-03 21:12:22

Moran from Planet X
Website

Email to send RO for Phil submissions is:

shaku8beat@gmail.com

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-04-03 21:13:05)

#6 2010-04-03 21:32:53

Christopher B.
Website

Hey thats a nice projekt, are a 2.0 also welcome?

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#7 2010-04-03 22:37:18

Moran from Planet X
Website

Christopher B. wrote:

Hey thats a nice projekt, are a 2.0 also welcome?

Bring on the 2.0. Anything you got.

But, it may not get in to the final mix if I can't figure out a way to use it.

A "C" Ro and a "D" Ro are a bit difficult to mix together. I may have a little heavy dissonance segment that I can work all lengths of RO in to. I may not. The whole thing may be dissonance.

Try to send me one recording on a 1.8 in addition to anything else. But if 2.0 is what you have then send it on in.

Thank you, Christopher. (Nice name, by the way.)

#8 2010-04-03 22:52:36

edosan
Edomologist

Chris Moran wrote:

The whole thing may be dissonance.

...'may' be? smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2010-04-04 01:09:13

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

The whole thing may be dissonance.

...'may' be? smile

Obviously you don't appreciate minimalist conceptual art.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/74014998_a47f974625_o.jpg

#10 2010-04-04 02:35:33

madoherty

Well, now you have upped the anty (sp?).  First it was minimalist, now conceptual.  I'm in.

#11 2010-04-06 23:12:04

Moran from Planet X
Website

madoherty wrote:

Well, now you have upped the anty (sp?).  First it was minimalist, now conceptual.  I'm in.

"The Concept is the Thang."

#12 2010-04-07 13:14:35

Moran from Planet X
Website

Jon wrote:

out of all my flutes i don't have a 1.8 right now. my jiari is waiting for me to do some urushi work on it.

No excuses for shakuhachi maker!

1. Find a bamboo pole

2. Cut to 1.8

3. Cut utaguchi.

4. Blow!

It's all about the RO.

#13 2010-04-07 13:44:22

Christopher B.
Website

Same Problem here, I dont own a 1.8 just a old 55cm flute that is really flat (It plays like a 1.9). I just have 2.0 and 2.3 smile maybe I can bring the 2.0 down to D tongue

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#14 2010-04-07 14:02:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

Christopher B. wrote:

Same Problem here, I dont own a 1.8 just a old 55cm flute that is really flat (It plays like a 1.9). I just have 2.0 and 2.3 smile maybe I can bring the 2.0 down to D tongue

Just play the "C" or "C-ish" Ro on 2.0. Perfect. Don't worry.

A shakuhachi maker has no excuse, though. 1.8 laundry pole alá Watazumi. Sked 40 PVC.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-04-07 16:44:04)

#15 2010-04-09 10:28:17

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

All natural Earth Model RO sent!

I hope you do not mind the soft whistle tone at the end.

A deep bow. 
- Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-04-09 10:30:24)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#16 2010-04-09 23:53:33

waryr

Just sent a nice wav file of my jiari 1.8. A nice RO of about 10 seconds.

Deep bow alongside Perry.

Dave

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#17 2010-04-10 00:05:20

waryr

Oops! My bad. I sent the wav file before I read the whole outline for the CD.

Still a nice RO Otsu!

Dave

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#18 2010-04-10 09:28:44

radi0gnome
Website

waryr wrote:

Oops! My bad. I sent the wav file before I read the whole outline for the CD.

Still a nice RO Otsu!

Dave

I'm not sure I understand what the problem was. I'm assuming it's that you sent a .wav instead of an mp3.

If that's the case, I think I know why it may have happened. If you use Audacity for the recording, by default it exports recordings as .wav's. If you want to export your recording as an mp3, you have to get the LAME.dll file. For the new Audacity beta it's easy to find the LAME.dll download on the Audacity site. For older versions of Audacity the LAME.dll is hard to find.

And Chris, I'm not sure how close you are to getting 100 submissions, but my guess is that the number of submissions is probably lower than it would be if it was easier to create an Mp3 recording. I found it difficult when I got it working a few years back. The free software of choice seems to be exclusively Audacity, although there may be better software choices that aren't free. The biggest difficulty I ran into was what kind of mic to use. Some work without a pre-amp and others won't. I ended up getting an M-Audio FastTrack device, it's essentially a pre-amp and somehow bypasses your computer sound card. A simpler solution would probably have been to get the right kind of microphone, I'm not sure but I think most USB mics work.

Another possibility that could make things easier for those new to computer recording would be to use your webcam and webcam microphone to make a video recording and then find some software to strip out the audio track.

Yet another possibility would be a portable Mp3 recorder. Even though I got my computer to record using my favorite vocal mic and the M-Audio Fastrack device, my method of choice for recording has been a portable recorder. I went out and purchased a 4 track recorder, but for simple recording many mp3 players have a recorder built-in. With that you should be able to use either the internal mic or a simple computer headset mic.

It sure would be a lot easier to just hit "play/record" on the old cassette player and send the cassette in the mail. Digital media has a lot of advantages, but ease of use isn't one of them.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#19 2010-04-19 22:38:50

Moran from Planet X
Website

Thank you everyone, thus far.

I'm waiting for more RO from you-know.

If you are a shakuhachi player on the forum, it's just 10 seconds of RO. (1.8 preferred but not essential)

Record it. Attach it. Email it: shaku8beat@gmail.com

No further care required. Batteries not included.

#20 2010-05-01 18:28:32

madoherty

Done.

#21 2010-05-01 23:08:26

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Just sent mine to your email Chris

My site flutedojo - jinashi shakuhachi bamboo flute maker.

Board footer