Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2010-10-02 11:19:23

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Toby, please make one of these for shakuhachi!

mrwuwu wrote:

Well, in retrospect the term chikuin is rarely used,  so it is possible certain flutes exhibit more chikuin, some less, and some very , very,  little measured in hundreths of microns, and most not at all.  But it seems to be a  shakuhachi term of Japanese origin, so someone in the past has experienced it enough to give it a name.

Hi Mr.Wuwu, The first and only time I ever heard anyone use Chikuin to describe a flute was right after Yukio Tsuji blew into Jinashi flute. He said, "Nice Chikuin." This was around 1998. Yukio is Japanese and has been playing the shakuhachi mostly in his own way for over 30 years.

Anyone know a good authentic Chinese restaurant in Chicago? smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#27 2010-10-02 18:34:23

mrwuwu

Hello!  Mr. PY!   I have one of your very early flutes with PY burned in as an Hanko.  One of my nicer treasures!    Yes, I know of 156 authentic Chinese restaurants in Chicago proper, it is a matter of getting your bamboo dust covered a** over here to indulge with me, my treat , of course!    I will re-read my Koga book, I believe chikuin is an object of discussion , there, also.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#28 2010-10-02 18:49:57

mrwuwu

Why not Google the word chikuin?    The only result out of about 50 entries is Chikuin: The World of Katsuya Yokoyama,  a Masters Of Japan Import CD.     So I guess Yokoyama Sensei has heard of chikuin and has actually respected the term enough to name his music CD after it.  There's your answer, Musgo de Pedra,   it is gone with Yokohama Sensei to Shakuhachi Heaven and you will never know.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#29 2010-10-02 19:02:23

mrwuwu

Hey, Musgo,  if you look on David Wheeler's website,  under new flutes for sale,  an old listing of a sold flute , a Suikyo 1.8, for $3,600 is described as vibrates like crazy!   Surprisingly powerful sound, mostly Jinashi !

#30 2010-10-02 19:23:55

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

mrwuwu wrote:

Well, in retrospect the term chikuin is rarely used,  so it is possible certain flutes exhibit more chikuin, some less, and some very , very,  little measured in hundreths of microns, and most not at all.  But it seems to be a  shakuhachi term of Japanese origin, so someone in the past has experienced it enough to give it a name.

The word chikuin is NOT very rarely used. We use it all the time to describe a flute that vibrates (or that has the illusion of vibrating, if Toby is correct) and it doesn't have anything to do with high or low end. For example I have had the discussion several times with makers that PVC flutes have nice chikuin compared with the Yuu.

Also I have not had the experience with other players and makers that we disagree on whether or not a flute has chikuin.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#31 2010-10-02 19:40:42

Taldaran

Oh BTW, I can feel the vibration of the flute, and so do the deaf.

I asked one of my deaf co workers to gently hold a 2.4 toward the bottom with his thumb and index finger and told him to gently nod his head if he felt vibration. I started the airsream to not sound the flute at first (just in case he felt the airstream as a cue), and when I slightly changed the airstream angle to sound ro, he nodded. I did it at different intervals of time not stopping the airsream, and he nodded at exactly the onset and duration of the tone. He said it vibrated very clearly, somewhat like feeling a desktop that has a personal electric fan clipped to it.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#32 2010-10-02 19:41:22

edosan
Edomologist

mrwuwu wrote:

Hey, Musgo,  if you look on David Wheeler's website,  under new flutes for sale,  an old listing of a sold flute , a Suikyo 1.8, for $3,600 is described as vibrates like crazy!   Surprisingly powerful sound, mostly Jinashi !

David Wheeler doesn't have a website.

David Sawyer does: japanshakuhachi.com

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#33 2010-10-02 19:44:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

mrwuwu wrote:

David Wheeler doesn't have a website.

David Sawyer does: japanshakuhachi.com

Yes and those Suikyo flutes are very nice. I use one a lot and it does have great chikuin. It's jimori and it has more chikuin than any of my jiari 1.8's. Sometimes chikuin is associated with jinashi, but not always.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#34 2010-10-02 20:29:47

mrwuwu

Thanks, Edosan, for the correction.   I always confuse the two names from reading too much about the Boulder, Colorado flute camps.

#35 2010-10-02 20:31:55

mrwuwu

Thanks, Tairaku, for the chikuin info.

Board footer