Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-14 06:26:25

purehappiness

Increased energy after playing.

Lately, I have been noticing that after I play I feel revitalized or something. I am wondering if it is because I am breathing deeply or because I am helping the energy flow through my tan tien. Any thoughts on this from anyone.

I love it. it makes me feel like I could go running or something. It is a great feeling.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2010-12-14 09:16:44

Josh
PhD
Website

Re: Increased energy after playing.

Hi,
  Stay with that feeling! Why don't you try running too smile You are kind of describing the runner's high anyway. I often run and exercise, at first it was more for shakuhachi. Then I started to enjoy it and I definitely feel like my playing is better around the times I've exercised. It probably has a lot to do with the  aerobic workout, deeper breathing and the increased energy flow. I don't know if you need to analyze it, just go with what makes you feel better, is healthier, and motivates you to continue playing.

#3 2010-12-14 09:21:59

purehappiness

Its definitely not a problem. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience. Its funny, its like afterwards I am ready to do anything. It is a kind of high I guess you could say.

I was thinking along the lines of chi kung and that possibly it is helping my chi flow better thru my body.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2010-12-14 12:32:18

radi0gnome
Website

Of course, if it is even partially the effects of the breathing you are experiencing, you don't necessarily need to have a shakuhachi in your hands to do it. Full breaths are energizing and healthy, it's not a bad idea to remind yourself to take full breaths whenever you notice you are breathing shallow.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#5 2010-12-14 14:11:08

purehappiness

Yes, that is one good practice I need to try and incorporate in everyday living. Too, often, I catch myself shallow breathing. The shakuhachi is good in so many ways. A tension reliever, meditator, breathing instructor, etc....

Last edited by purehappiness (2010-12-14 14:11:27)

Lieh-tzu

#6 2010-12-14 17:14:58

Rob Bondy
Website

I find that if I can play mid day, it refreshes me, and helps me have energy and patience for what remains.  Usually it is in my office or a practice room in the music department (I am in a high school).  The other day I was able to practice in a deserted auditorium.  It was very peaceful.

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#7 2010-12-14 17:46:26

airin
Website

Rob Bondy wrote:

I find that if I can play mid day, it refreshes me, and helps me have energy and patience for what remains.  Usually it is in my office or a practice room in the music department (I am in a high school).  The other day I was able to practice in a deserted auditorium.  It was very peaceful.

Good idea to play mid day.  I may try doing that more. I feel I have more energy to play mid day rather than late in the day and, as you said, it serves to refresh and increase one's patience.  I generally do feel more grounded after playing and, yes, somewhat more mellow not unlike the softness in the body and mind after a good run.

I also like the idea of playing in a deserted auditorium...must've sounded great, eh?

#8 2010-12-14 20:04:11

Rob Bondy
Website

airin wrote:

I also like the idea of playing in a deserted auditorium...must've sounded great, eh?

Ro really seemed to pervade everywhere.  I was able to play for about 35 minutes without being interrupted.  (it was a snow-day, so there was almost nobody at school that day, except for my student of course. wink  )

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#9 2010-12-15 14:47:55

Taldaran

Also don’t forget that the shakuhachi gives you feedback on your general well being on many levels.

When I pick it up and am tense or upset, I don't play well until I relax. Every month that goes by with diligent practice, (especially playing in front of others regularly), the faster I can get into the zone. When I am done playing, I have the same feeling that I get after a zazen session.

I imagine that masters of the shakuhachi must be able to play consistently regardless of their mental/physical state within the space of a heartbeat.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

Board footer