Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-28 08:53:21

Jivanmukta

Something funny happened!

I thought I should share the story of how I met a new shakuhachifriend here in Norway.

I never succeeded in finding any shakuhachi players here in Norway, nearest teachers in Sweden and Denmark, so I ended up choosing skype lessions with Michael Chikuzen Gould (recommended).

Before I contacted Michael, I sent various request around, to the japanese embassy, the japanese cultural association, zen centers etc, but noone knew any shaku players in Norway.

This was 9 months ago.

I received a message just after christmas from a japanese woman, she know a japanese guy who used to play the shakuhachi. He is quite old, lives alone, quite isolated and didn't use the flute since his wife died 10-15 yrs ago. If I want to meet him she will set up a meeting, it has to be in her place as he doesn't want visitors.

So, we meet, he unpacks five flutes, two bamboo flutes that has been cracked since 1974 (when he came to norway - dry and cold winters). He takes out his 1.8 wooden flute and plays (as far as I can understand smile really well. Out of the cracked bambbo flutes, one is cheap, but the other was a gift from his uncle when he took up playing.

I show him my practice book from Michael and he plays all the childrens song before turning to the last page, KUROKAMI, and plays stright through that as well.

The Honkyoku songs in my book he didn't want to play, he said he only studied for 4 years (1950 - 1954)  with his teacher, - Jin Nyodo, and did not learn enough to play honkyoku.

So, now we meet every second week in his flat as he managed to clear some space and apparently trust me to play together  (so far we only played twice) , great time for both of us!
Last wednesday he declared that we should not spend so much time with these childrens songs, but play some real shakuhachi music, like rodukan, kurokami, yuugao, etc). He has these beautiful old notation, the curriculum from when he studied with Jin Nyodo.

We will see how it goes,  to have a chance to play live with my friend Mr. Doi is really a gift, it pushes and inspires me to play better and more advanced. Of course, we have to cope with the slightly different opinions on fingerings, how to repeat, etc. But of course mr. Doi understands the concept of following the teachers advice very well.

Just wanted to share this story, Norway has appr. 1000 japanese living here, how fortunate that one of them has the time, knowledge and inspiration to play with a beginner like me.

Talk less - do more

#2 2011-01-28 09:35:53

Yuusui
Website

Re: Something funny happened!

WHat a great story! You are very lucky.

http://yuusui.wordpress.com/

"Sit in zazen as if engaged in the fight for your very life!" Dogen

#3 2011-01-28 10:42:00

Niklas

Wonderful story, and you are both to be congratulated on your newfound friendship.

I don't know if Michael has provided you with similar material already, but if you want it I have a nice version of Kurokami for shakuhachi karaoke, i. e. only the koto and voice recorded. Nice to get a feel for ensemble sankyoku, since koto and shamisen players aren't easy to come by here in Scandinavia. Although, if your good luck keeps up, you'll probably find your neighbor is an exiled koto master with a nice 13-string stashed in her closet…

#4 2011-01-28 13:35:24

Taldaran

Thanks for the story! You are very fortunate!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#5 2011-01-28 14:24:01

Elliot K
Website

Wonderful story. Treasure your time together.

#6 2011-01-28 14:56:25

airin
Website

What a great opportunity!  Wonderful how your new relationship unfolded.  Enjoy the shakuhachi company.

#7 2011-01-28 15:22:51

Jivanmukta

Niklas wrote:

Wonderful story, and you are both to be congratulated on your newfound friendship.

I don't know if Michael has provided you with similar material already, but if you want it I have a nice version of Kurokami for shakuhachi karaoke, i. e. only the koto and voice recorded. Nice to get a feel for ensemble sankyoku, since koto and shamisen players aren't easy to come by here in Scandinavia. Although, if your good luck keeps up, you'll probably find your neighbor is an exiled koto master with a nice 13-string stashed in her closet…

Niklas, I'll be happy to have that version of kurokami, can you send me info on how to receive it.
I am happily married, otherwise I would hope for a neigbor with more interesting strings than a 13 string in her closet....actually I think the chanse is bigger for that than for a 13 string - but I'll keep my eyes open, must remember - 13 strings!

Talk less - do more

#8 2011-01-28 15:48:43

Niklas

Either drop me a mail (the address is in my forum profile) and I'll send the file in an answering mail; or post your address here and I'll send it straight to you.

Board footer