World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-26 18:37:49

mayberryjl
Website

ideas of where to practice in the city

Hey guys,

So I live in Miami and I need to find a place where I can go practice everyday.  I would practice at home but the roommate is a massage therapist and has clients over on a regular basis so I don't want to disturb their sessions. There are several parks around that I could go to, and I do live very close to a train station, but I don't want to disturb anyone with the joys of a novice player.  Am I being too concerned about disturbing the (generally rude) public around me?

Any ideas,insights, suggestions, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks ;-)

Growing feathers is easy.  It's the flying that takes practice.
~JLM

#2 2011-01-26 18:46:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: ideas of where to practice in the city

mayberryjl wrote:

Am I being too concerned about disturbing the (generally rude) public around me?

Yes.

Practice anywhere you think is a nice place. Tunnels are particularly good. Stairwells. Park is good. Watazumi used to practice in the train yard to build his power. The general rule I follow is not to invade spaces occupied by people. But if you find a relatively private space and people enter that zone, it's their problem.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2011-01-26 20:06:38

J Ross
Website

I use the occasional tunnel and park bench. One place that I found out (from others) might like the music is the local Japanese garden.How appropriate if that!! We have a beautiful and very large Japanese garden in Portland.
I have not tried it myself yet but hope to soon.Then again with how bad I play,they might send me packing straight away :-)

Jim

Last edited by J Ross (2011-01-26 20:07:59)

#4 2011-01-26 20:37:02

mayberryjl
Website

There is a Japanese garden up in Boca, but that's a bit of a drive for everyday practice. I haven't been yet but plan on it when the weather is a touch more agreeable.  you can check out their site if you'd like, www.morikami.org

~JLM

#5 2011-02-18 20:07:53

Todd Frederick

I think that there is no place to practice shakuhachi around people when they neither know the nature of the instrument nor appreciate the sound it makes, either by a beginner or a master. I experience the same issue in my own home.

#6 2011-02-18 21:16:41

jamesnyman

I practice a lot in the stairwell at my wife's office building. I have gotten nothing but positive feedback. I mainly do improv...ro buki...kyorei and Chosi...my repertoire is small.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#7 2011-02-19 11:05:30

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

mayberryjl wrote:

Hey guys,

So I live in Miami and I need to find a place where I can go practice everyday.  I would practice at home but the roommate is a massage therapist and has clients over on a regular basis so I don't want to disturb their sessions. There are several parks around that I could go to, and I do live very close to a train station, but I don't want to disturb anyone with the joys of a novice player.  Am I being too concerned about disturbing the (generally rude) public around me?

Any ideas,insights, suggestions, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks ;-)

Hi Joshua,

Have you tried the beach? I'll bet they have one of those in Miami! smile
Here in San Francisco I find it a very special place where beach goers
allow each other more freedom to do what they want. And when the
surf is loud it is very good competition.

Ken

#8 2011-02-19 14:00:16

Jim Thompson

Practicing super, super soft can, in effect, buy you a little space. It is also an excellent tone builder.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#9 2011-02-19 15:26:20

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tairaku 太楽 wrote:

mayberryjl wrote:

Am I being too concerned about disturbing the (generally rude) public around me?

Yes.

Practice anywhere you think is a nice place. Tunnels are particularly good. Stairwells. Park is good. Watazumi used to practice in the train yard to build his power. The general rule I follow is not to invade spaces occupied by people. But if you find a relatively private space and people enter that zone, it's their problem.

Hi Joshua, I carry a flute everywhere and practice every chance I get. I particularly like playing in the subway as I love the sound of the flute intertwined with the rumbling vibrations of the trains. This is the Subway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0FTUALDhQ

Maybe I'm just a jaded New Yorker, but I don't think you should be worried about annoying people in public. You never know, you just might make someone's day by sharing the sound of the flute with them.

Mujitsu wrote:

Have you tried the beach? I'll bet they have one of those in Miami! smile
Here in San Francisco I find it a very special place where beach goers
allow each other more freedom to do what they want. And when the
surf is loud it is very good competition.

I love Ocean Beach! wink

Happy blowing! - Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#10 2011-02-19 16:51:11

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Maybe I'm just a jaded New Yorker, but I don't think you should be worried about annoying people in public. You never know, you just might make someone's day by sharing the sound of the flute with them.

I love Ocean Beach! wink

Perry has been known to play in bars and at Ocean Beach! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MabkPSukJzs

#11 2011-02-24 13:10:20

mayberryjl
Website

I have tried playing on the beach, but it's still hard for me to get a decent sound because of the wind, but I practice in the parking lot at work during my lunch break now.  Slowly but surely getting better.

~JLM

Board footer