Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-07-15 03:14:11

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Uncomfortable in-ear sound while blowing

When I sometime play I experience an inner ear sound. It's like a windy, a bit rumbling sound and I can also make it purposely by probably contracting some muscle's inside my head. Maybe I hear blood flowing, but nevertheless it's not comfortable while playing. Then it happens as well and then it is not intentionaly. When I really focus at blowing with the right abdomal pressure it will diminish. Doen anyone recognize this 'sound' and have some tips to prevent it? I think it will probably have to do with some tension and muscles. Playing relaxed and focussed while playing Ro is not easy, it is more difficult for me to do that while playing some music.

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#2 2009-07-15 08:03:41

kmag

Re: Uncomfortable in-ear sound while blowing

Hello Bas,
I get this as well sometimes when my neck and throat are not relaxed enough. it is called subvocalization and it is from the vocal chords being activated while playing. Relax more and it will go away.
Kurt

#3 2009-07-15 09:33:20

madoherty

I can get a rumble type of sound in my ears (in my head) by exercising muscles that seem to be in my inner ear.  In order for me to do this involuntarily there has to be a large amount of tension throughout my system, head, throat, and abdomen.  My suggestion is that you are tense and should try to relax while playing... if we are talking about the same thing.

#4 2009-07-15 10:10:44

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Is it an audible sound or Tinnitus - ringing in your ears? Some player get Tinnitus on high notes. Not sure it there's anything to be done if that's what it is. I have it. sad

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2009-07-15 13:35:51

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Hmm unfortunately for you Perry, I know from around me that Tinitus can be a pain. For me its not that. Its not a high ringing, but more like Michael wrote; a rumble and it seems to be activated through muscles. I will focus more on relaxation while playing (I have a deathgrip as well sometimes).
It doesn't feel that I need a large amount of tension in order to get the sound involuntarily, a bit on that muscle in my inner ear seems enough.
About the Tinitus and high pitched sound, I sometimes get a bit of an 'after-ring' after playing high notes. I thought the shaku was kinda soft, but maybe it is not.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#6 2009-07-15 23:05:40

Zakarius

Have you played much on longer flutes? The looser embouchure required may allow you to relax more. Additionally, if the notes of a 1.8 are making your ears ring, the lower fundamental pitch of a longer flute may not have this effect.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#7 2009-07-16 04:49:23

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Have you played much on longer flutes? The looser embouchure required may allow you to relax more. Additionally, if the notes of a 1.8 are making your ears ring, the lower fundamental pitch of a longer flute may not have this effect.

Zak

I'll try to notice if it happens on my 2.55 flute as well. But I haven't been playing that one a lot. I focus mainly on my 1.8 flute.  I'll try to notice if there is a diffence compared to length of flute.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#8 2009-07-16 06:40:46

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Hmm unfortunately for you Perry, I know from around me that Tinitus can be a pain. For me its not that. Its not a high ringing, but more like Michael wrote; a rumble and it seems to be activated through muscles. I will focus more on relaxation while playing (I have a deathgrip as well sometimes).
It doesn't feel that I need a large amount of tension in order to get the sound involuntarily, a bit on that muscle in my inner ear seems enough.
About the Tinitus and high pitched sound, I sometimes get a bit of an 'after-ring' after playing high notes. I thought the shaku was kinda soft, but maybe it is not.

Yeah, It's a pain in the...ear wink

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#9 2009-07-16 09:22:39

madoherty

Bas,

It might just be tension in your throat, or in that area, and into the head.  Try to play with your throat open and relaxed and see what that does.

I have gained control over those muscles that produce the sound over the years, and can turn it on or off at will, though at times the rumbling comes up involuntarily.  It might be useful, if relaxing does not produce the results that you want, to practice tensioning and relaxing those muscles in particular to gain control over them.

#10 2009-07-16 23:28:28

caffeind

A few years back certain notes would ring in one ear and it was kinda painful. I finally went to a doctor and there was a buildup of wax in that ear. The small gap probably created resonance at certain frequencies. He flushed it out with warm water and the problem was gone. The relief was immense; I thought I'd sustained permanent hearing damage from a loud gig I played not long before this happened.

Board footer