Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-27 11:04:41

lowonthetotem
Website

Watery Mouth

For whatever reason, I've recently been plagued by an abundance of spit in my mouth.  I will be practicing songs that I had no problem playing about a month ago and during the song, usually in the same place each time, the spit just builds up in my mouth and my breath blows it up onto my lower lip.  As soon as it gets there, the sound just dies.  I've been playing for a couple years now and never noticed this issu before.  On honkyoku it is not such an issue because there is often time between phrases to take a swallow.  However, in more "musical" type songs where time is less subjective, I find it hard to take a breath and swallow and stay in time.  I realize that this sound like a rather neophyte kind fo questions, but hey, I'm a neophyte.  Any suggestions?

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#2 2010-01-27 14:58:48

Todd Frederick

Re: Watery Mouth

I have a problem with moisture building up in the Utaguchi area. This is especially true with using a Kuu. The unpainted bamboo seems to absorb some. I wonder if weather conditions (humidity) and temperature may affect this. I only started last Fall. Summer may be  different. I usually practice in a cold area, but I have not noticed excessive saliva.

#3 2010-01-27 20:29:09

edosan
Edomologist

Todd Frederick wrote:

I have a problem with moisture building up in the Utaguchi area. This is especially true with using a Kuu. The unpainted bamboo seems to absorb some. I wonder if weather conditions (humidity) and temperature may affect this. I only started last Fall. Summer may be  different. I usually practice in a cold area, but I have not noticed excessive saliva.

It's not saliva, but condensing water vapor from your outbreaths. Only way to deal with it if it's a nuisance is to wipe the bore periodically or move to a warmer location to play.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2010-01-28 23:25:52

Karmajampa
Website

If you use your mouth to breathe in, rather than, or as well as, your nostrils, this can assist to dry moisture around the lips.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2010-01-29 08:42:15

lowonthetotem
Website

Considering how central breath is to anything, I am not aware, at this moment at my desk at work, to admit that I am not sure if I suck in through my mouth or not.  I'll have to be more mindful of this in the future.  Thanks for the advice.  I am pretty sure that this has come about from a recent foray into healthier living and that I am simply not as dehydrated as I used to be.

#6 2010-01-29 13:47:03

edosan
Edomologist

lowonthetotem wrote:

For whatever reason, I've recently been plagued by an abundance of spit in my mouth.  I will be practicing songs that I had no problem playing about a month ago and during the song, usually in the same place each time, the spit just builds up in my mouth and my breath blows it up onto my lower lip.  As soon as it gets there, the sound just dies.  I've been playing for a couple years now and never noticed this issu before.  On honkyoku it is not such an issue because there is often time between phrases to take a swallow.  However, in more "musical" type songs where time is less subjective, I find it hard to take a breath and swallow and stay in time.  I realize that this sound like a rather neophyte kind fo questions, but hey, I'm a neophyte.  Any suggestions?

Stuff a small hankie into your cheek (or one into each cheek, if necessary, why not?), before you play.

You'll be right...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2010-02-12 14:00:04

PSmith

I cannot play right after eating.  I find my saliva glands are still active.  I need to wait 20 minutes or so.

I've always wondered if there is a natural remedy like a drink or mouth rinse that would subdue saliva glands.  I haven't found anything.  I asked a doctor friend whom I play recorder with.  She did not know of anythign either.

#8 2010-02-12 14:51:15

Karmajampa
Website

Keep practicing, eventually it goes away, you adjust for it, you swallow and breathe appropriately.
Play with the way you are blowing, blow harder, blow softer.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#9 2010-02-17 19:35:45

Taldaran

Jeez just reading this thread makes my mouth water...it's like talking about itching.

Followed by the inevitable scratch.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#10 2010-02-18 09:05:40

mayberryjl
Website

This is bad advice so don't follow it, but you could always smoke a joint and then play.  It is called cottonmouth for a reason....

Growing feathers is easy.  It's the flying that takes practice.
~JLM

#11 2010-02-18 20:23:48

Karmajampa
Website

mayberryjl wrote:

This is bad advice so don't follow it, but you could always smoke a joint and then play.  It is called cottonmouth for a reason....

Then suck on a Lemon.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#12 2010-02-19 09:49:12

lowonthetotem
Website

Thanks guys.  It has gotten better but still comes back every now and then.  Aside from smoking joints, drinking boiler makers every other evening also dehydrates you sufficiently, but you usually have to wait until your "off day" to play.

Oddly enough, some lemon juice in a cup of water is also good for keeping the salivary glands working well enough to keep the mouth from drying out, which is also problematic, but not working so hard that they flood the mouth.

Board footer