Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-06 13:27:08

Taldaran

Live microphone placement.

I have started playing shakuhachi (with bands), and I'd like to get some pointers on the best way to use a vocal mirophone. Are there techniques for optimum volume when using a vocal mike without too much noise from the airstream, or are there special mikes that you use for this?

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#2 2011-02-06 21:02:25

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Live microphone placement.

If you go to this link http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=3544  ) you'll find out some suggestions.  You might find though that micing technique is as important as the microphone itself.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2011-02-07 01:01:46

Karmajampa
Website

To listen to Ian Anderson on his choice go here http://www.gearwire.com/shure-wl51-revi … erson.html

There is a stereo audio link.
He uses a Shure WL51 or a Countryman. Both clip-on wireless.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2011-02-07 12:54:05

Pol Huellou

Few remarks from my own experience. Of course it is different if we are talking about live performance or recording situation. It is very difficult to find a good sound engineer. In about 40 years experience, I can think of 4 of them. Sometimes able to get a good 'live' sound and a good 'live' recording at the same time. About mikes and shakuhachi: I have seen one of these technicians mentioned above talking to me about frequency ranges (when I was talking 'colour' he would answer me talking about frequencies). I can only give testimony refering to time or patience, if you prefer, it takes time and hearing on behalf of the technician. The angle is important, not just the mike. I heard things that did work well like using two mikes: one directed in the direction of the mouth edge, a second one at the level of the bottom of the shakuhachi (tonic). Once I experience also a very good result by having my technician colleague directing the mike (panoramic) behind my head... One thing is sure, if you get a technician getting a rapid result, let say 'clean' result, by using a compressor, forget about it, straight away. Waste of time, desapointing result when you listen to the result later. The harmonics have disappeared. Ban on compressors ! 
There could be more comments, no doubt, but it is an interesting issue, specially for wandering artists like myself, who can find themselves in all sort of situations.
Nada Brahma, Die Welt ist Klang as Ernst Joachim Berhend (R.I.P.) wrote in a book, and told me when we had the chance of working together.

Last edited by Pol Huellou (2011-02-07 12:55:53)

#5 2011-02-07 13:07:53

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

my E6 earset (Hypercardoid-directional)is Awesome!! great sound. The sound inginiers love it too.

Board footer